Finally brought a Mk1 !

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

smc24021970

Finally brought a Mk1 !

Post by smc24021970 »

After searching for some time, and seeing some various not quite "mint" cars, and speaking with Jinxy ( albeit not listening ) I've brought a white MR2 T-bar. I brought it whilst drunk on red wine, on E-bay last night, which might prove to be an error !! Ebay 220237378004. Have spoken with the man a couple of times via e-mail, and the car has had new sills, new brakes, new drop links, flexi hoses and he had it painted. It was for his Wife, but she doesn't like it as it doesn't have power steering. MOT'd for a year ( means nowt ) and I am flying to Newcastle on Sunday to collect it. I will report on the journey home !!

What have I done ...... ](*,) :-k :pale:
Gad
Location: Castle Donington, home of fast cars and strange festivals...

Re: Finally brought a Mk1 !

Post by Gad »

I hope you fare better than I did...
I'm turning up lots of well hidden rust on mine!
Last edited by Gad on Wed May 28, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

I'm hoping for the best .... but expecting the worst !!!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Ha ha, you cant beat drunken ebay purchases...

Congrats, it looks clean but you can never tell from the photos!
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

£800 is a good price for a runner with MOT
obviously its had bodywork and paint, only time will tell if it was done well
my first car was an Ebay error as I was watching a couple of cars and as an Ebay newbie I bid on the wrong one #-o kept it for 2 years and got most of my money back on it, it now lives in the next village to me and is still going strong with its 2nd owner since I sold it
ebay cars can be a bargain but also there are many shonky traders passing of crap as good
good luck and enjoy hopefully the best £800 you've spent in a long time :wink:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Looks good and considering its had a full respray could be a real bargain for £800.
coverco

Post by coverco »

Looks really nice, don't worry anything can be fixed so just enjoy :thumleft:

PS Don't want to be rude, but the word is bought not brought :whistle:
Bazzbiggles

Post by Bazzbiggles »

Hi, I’m new here \:D/

Well done winning your car. I bought one from ebay the other week but it doesn’t look as good as yours. I’ve really enjoyed driving it but had a few problems these past 2 weeks. I’ve had to change the big end bearings as they were knocking very slightly when the engine was warm (easy job and worth doing) and changed the head gasket (very difficult and time consuming). The engine shows little signs of wear and I feel it’s good for a few years now. Hopefully you won’t have to do any repair work for quite a while and will enjoy driving yours over summer months. I think MR2s are the ultimate boy’s toy.
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

LOL - OMG - a spelling troll !!

I hope my purchase turns out to be reasonable ... I'm expecting to have to do a little tidying of the paint, the awful floor mats have to go, and I'll get round to getting some leather seats for it. Anyone have a clue as to where the transfers for the nose cone and rear bumper could be bought ?
coverco

Post by coverco »

smc24021970 wrote:LOL - OMG - a spelling troll !!

I hope my purchase turns out to be reasonable ... I'm expecting to have to do a little tidying of the paint, the awful floor mats have to go, and I'll get round to getting some leather seats for it. Anyone have a clue as to where the transfers for the nose cone and rear bumper could be bought ?

You can get them off Ebay or if you want I can do them for you, I did the ones on my car (see Restoration thread). Before anyone objects I do not charge for this, I only do it for MK1 owners who can spell :lol: (Only joking, let me know what you need :thumleft: )

I also have some leather seats, but I need a swap for either black or black/red seats.
Last edited by coverco on Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ppre89

Post by ppre89 »

Well its got all you wanted. As long as the rusts to a minimal, I think you done well. :thumleft:
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

IMO a real bargin :clap:
12 months MOT.
2 months tax.
Undersealed and resprayed

smc24021970 wrote:
Anyone have a clue as to where the transfers for the nose cone and rear bumper could be bought ?

If Tommy is offering to do them for you snap, his hands off.
He is a perfectionist, I`ve seen his car :mrgreen:
He is going to be doing some TurboCharger ones for me
If you need a full set of the 3 pinstripe transfers/decals.
I got a set off - crazylegs
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/profile.ph ... ofile&u=80
I would drop him a pm

Let us know your progress
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

I'll take some pictures of it on Sunday ( weather permitting ) and let you know if it made it from Sunderland to Ipswich with no problems. I will be buying some oil & coolant before I go on the long run, and stowing them in the rear boot, and just keep my fingers crossed. Will obviously check all the levels and tyre pressures. I am going to drive very 'pensioner' on the way back, 70mph as a top, paranoid eye on the temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge. Ears pinned back for 'strange' noises. As for the transfers, as I have the delicacy of a drunken Rhino, I think I'll try and sweet talk some kind MR2'er into helping me !

Really looking forward to it, I've got a big garage with billions of cleaning products all raring to go !!
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

Well ...... what do you expect for £ 800 ? The car drives really well, pulls like a train, no gear jumping problems, the T-bars don't leak, the interior is in really good condition. The exterior ....... the respray is a little home-grown to say the least ..... I was told the arches were done .... with what appears to be play-doh, in fact, you can't actually unbolt the rear mudflaps as they have been filled to the body. The lower A posts have been filled terribly, I think my Sisters' kids could have done better. Disappointed ? A little bit. But I'll run her for the summer as a dog, and then do a proper restoration, new rear arches ( maybe entire new panels ) I imagine it'll need sills and I'll splash out on a couple of fibreglass front wings ( anyone done that ? Metal better ? )

But .... I actually loved driving it back, despite the rain, despite the slight feeling that I was "done". The aerial works, windows, central locking and all dials !!
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

All we need now is some pics, inc play-doh,

Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

Okay, will post pics ..... but how ?
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

I'm hoping this is correct :

smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

bu88er, and now the rest ...

And if I said the paint job was done by a White Orange, you'd now what I meant !!
coverco

Post by coverco »

That looks quite scary :shock:

I have never seen the side skirts blended in before. If it has 12 months MOT I would run it for the summer and then do the body in the winter, do not start taking bits off as you will only get depressed, :(

The rear end of mine was built using filler and expanding foam, if I had driven it into a lake I think it would have floated :lol:

Everything is fixable, just take your time, it will be worth it :)
smc24021970

Post by smc24021970 »

It's a novel bit of restyling isn't it ?? LOL ! I am going to do just as you said, run it a bit doggy for the summer, and then attack it with a grinder and rip off the crud. I was expecting it to have a little filler ..... But at least if I do it / get it done, I know EXACTLY what is lurking around the bodywork. I'm going to buy new sills, arches a repair sections from Jinxy.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”