just bought myself a minter pictures uploaded

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

madman2

just bought myself a minter pictures uploaded

Post by madman2 »

just bought myself mint unmolested mr2 mk1 t bar with genuine 52k, owned by elderly lady (now 71yrs old she used cushion to sit on barely could see over the dashboard, i was gobsmacked when she came to pick me up from watford railway station today) since 1992. She px her reliant scimitar for mr2 way back in 1992. Has always been garaged and only driven on odd weekends. she only took off roof panels once since her ownership and only been once on motorway which was driven by her husband and she wasnt happy he was driving it lol.

no rust whatsoever immaculate leather interior and still smell like new, its white pictures to follow once i have given it a good wash.

had a long journey today from manchester to watford via virgin train and drove mr2 back and it was a pleasure drive.

Last edited by madman2 on Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
coverco

Re: just bought myself a minter pictures uploaded

Post by coverco »

Sounds great, but

:ttiwwp:
madman2

mr2

Post by madman2 »

just got back after being on travel since 8am, will post pictures by weekend, i currently have another which is red one previous owner will be selling that one very soon.
Last edited by madman2 on Tue May 27, 2008 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swiss Toni

Post by Swiss Toni »

Sounds good, but mileage is a bit high...

:mrgreen:
Macky17

Post by Macky17 »

To cut to the chase - what did you pay??
madman2

mr2

Post by madman2 »

52k high mileage, which planet do you live on its 1989 model so hence only driven average 2,736 miles per year.

As for price that would be telling [-X
Macky17

Post by Macky17 »

I think he was joking about the mileage being high. My new mk1 has done 77K and I thought that was low. Nice find mate.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: mr2

Post by Lauren »

madman2 wrote:52k high mileage, which planet do you live on its 1989 model so hence only driven average 2,736 miles per year.

I never understand why people go all coy about saying what they paid for a car?

I think the comment about the mileage is because since 1992 this little old lady has only driven the car on odd weekends.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jamiesi

Post by jamiesi »

Lauren wrote:
madman2 wrote:52k high mileage, which planet do you live on its 1989 model so hence only driven average 2,736 miles per year.

I never understand why people go all coy about saying what they paid for a car?

I think the comment about the mileage is because since 1992 this little old lady has only driven the car on odd weekends.

me too its only a figure :lol:
Swiss Toni

Post by Swiss Toni »

Milesage :mrgreen:

The price of minters is always going to be an interesting barometer of the market.

Get some pictures posted - we want to see this car!!!

Nice one.
madman2

mr2

Post by madman2 »

pictures will be up saturday once its cleaned and polished. \:D/
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

"mint" and "concourse" are two of the most over used words in car sales IMO. I would describe my car as in very, very good condition, but it's by no means mint!

So lets see pics!

If it helps I paid £1,600 for mine, one owner from new and 113K on the clock. Immacualte history, lovely condition.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Mine was very very very good condition when i brought it 3 years ago for £1500, had 97k and full 6 month service history upto 93k (yes a stamp every 6 months)

It hasnt stayed that good though as the rust has come back on the rear and its in need of a full respray. Its a full time job keeping a mk1 mint.
STURGE

Post by STURGE »

I bought my mk1 T-Bar last November. 1 owner from new, full history, all M.O.T'S etc etc.

Excellent condition for a 19 year old car. See pics in my garage.

I paid £ 3000 for it. Probably a bit steep, but its what I wanted.

Mine only had 39,900 miles on it when I got it!!!!!

Done a few mods and currently has 45,000 miles on it.

Sturge
Mr_Spanners

Post by Mr_Spanners »

Sounds like a great find Madman!!!

By comparison I recently bought my '88 T-Bar with 49k on the clock, 2 owners from new (previous for 18 years), FSH and a receipt from the local Toyota dealer for £3100 to replace the rear wings, sills and 'tidy up' the bodywork (lower A pillars). I paid £2750 which I thought was 'about right'. Car is not mint by any means and still needs a few jobs doing to make it 'spot on'. As with any car this age it will have 'issues' that need addressing.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some pics!!!
Macky17

Post by Macky17 »

My new T bar has 77K and 23 service stamps! It's been garaged from new accordingly and is relatively rust free (I've had it up on a ramp and had a good root around - not much to see). It was £1350 - I couldn't believe it.
HT

Post by HT »

WeirdNeville wrote:"mint" and "concourse" are two of the most over used words in car sales IMO. I would describe my car as in very, very good condition, but it's by no means mint!

Totally agree - this whole concept of mint is very misleading, I wouldn't rate hardly any cars as mint - personally speaking anything in mint would need to be in outstanding original condition with no faults or defects whatsoever.In mk1 terms this limits things to the odd truly decent SC, and very occassionally a totally pampered N/A - twenty plus years on this normally means undriven, garaged, museum piece!! :wink:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

I would consider my original import Supercharger G-Limited I bought back in 2001 (which I was the first and last owner of in this country) as 'near mint' but never mint, and it was in very very good condition with zero rust, interior 'almost like new' etc with 48k miles on it (at least that's what the papers and old KM speedo said).

Anyway, I paid £2500 for that back in 2001, I'm not sure any mk1 is worth more than that figure these days unless it's a total fanatic buying and it's a completely sorted car - by that I mean the arches and underbody fully future proofed and done properly and possibly with a respray or at least a good blend job.

£2k imo is an upper limit I would pay, having had a couple of mr2s you start to realise how much of the stuff on them is actually "worthless" (like the current overpriced housing market), you can pick up replacement parts and renew for low money so all you really need is a good solid base car with a view to sorting the arches at some stage. An by 'worthless' I mean the selling points a seller will try to push the price up with (which in reality are just normal every day service items or 'as expected' on any car worthy of selling).

When you look at other cars and how many stunning cars are out there now for £2000 (and yes I realise that not much comes close to the all round experience of the Mk1 for the money or even up to VX220/elise money) it makes the MK1 MR2 seem overpriced a lot of the time, as a genuine mr2 lover I can understand sellers pricing as it really does seem worth it both in looks and driving pleasure but in reality it's a 20 year old mass market car with rust problems and tired mechanicals and WILL need work.

Paying over £1500 now for any mk1 unless fully sorted (with proof) is only for the true enthusiast, the trade and general car buyers would probably scoff at the ridiculous prices i've seen some people trying to pass them off for (£6k I saw recently for a UK NA with some 'repair work done'). [-X

If the mr2 has had itself sorted out properly and is going to last for the next ten years then it's a different story and price comes down to how much the buyer feels it's worth and I can easily see people paying over £2k for a car like that but it's not a head decision it's a heart one... aside from perhaps true 'near minter' mk1s may be close to £10k in ten years when there are hardly any left and it's finally become the classic car it's been promising for the last 5/10 years.
Last edited by Sharpfish on Fri May 30, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
midenginedmaniac

Post by midenginedmaniac »

Well get out and use it. Get it dirty and let the car live.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

STURGE wrote:I bought my mk1 T-Bar last November. 1 owner from new, full history, all M.O.T'S etc etc.

Excellent condition for a 19 year old car. See pics in my garage.

I paid £ 3000 for it. Probably a bit steep, but its what I wanted.

Mine only had 39,900 miles on it when I got it!!!!!

Done a few mods and currently has 45,000 miles on it.

Sturge

That does look stunning... very very nice car... :)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”