[Mk2] [Generic] rear caliper slider kit twos r us

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

nitric4k

[Mk2] [Generic] rear caliper slider kit twos r us

Post by nitric4k »

ok ive got a sticking rear caliper the piston is free but the slider is that tights i had to hit it very hard with a hammer just to get it move up to put the pads in

when changing the pads i undid the bottom bolt then the caliper shud swing up pretty easy correct?

passenger side is completly solid so my question is if i buy one of these slider repair kits

how on earth do i get it to slide off to refurb it, as its completly seized solid onto the caliper

or am i doing somthing wrong?

here is the kit im thinking of

JohnnyC

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] rear caliper slider kit twos r us

Post by JohnnyC »

robbrookes5 wrote:when changing the pads i undid the bottom bolt then the caliper shud swing up pretty easy correct?

Yes, although I think if you've still got the handbrake on then this may prevent the caliper from pivotting on the upper slider.

robbrookes5 wrote:passenger side is completly solid so my question is if i buy one of these slider repair kits

Just so you know, the kit you've pictured is the bottom slider only (the upper slider is part of the mounting bracket).

robbrookes5 wrote:how on earth do i get it to slide off to refurb it, as its completly seized solid onto the caliper

Undo the bolt for the bottom slider.
Undo the handbrake cable from the caliper.
Pivot caliper upwards.
Push caliper towards the engine (inwards) to get it off the upper slider.

HTH.
nitric4k

Post by nitric4k »

Pivot caliper upwards.

that took 20ish hammer hits to get it move up

Push caliper towards the engine (inwards) to get it off the upper slider.

coundnt move that at all even with hammer

is it complelty ragged?

or do i need a begger hammer?
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

Sure you had the handbrake off and/or disconnected from the caliper? :D

Once it's off you'll need to give the upper slider a good clean, and the hole part it goes into in the caliper.
rookie-racer

Post by rookie-racer »

delay :- sharpens spurs, dawns stestson and bandana raound kneck...
big bar and big licks with a big hammer, remove the caliper from the slides, on the male slides, ie the pins rather than the sockets, theres a couple of o-rings remove them, remove the grease in the female poart of the slide with cellulose thiners, regrease with copper slip - enjoy. Yehaaaaahhhh!!! :tumbleweed:
steve b

Post by steve b »

If it really is proper stuck get a punch and drill a hole just big enough for the punch to slide through and hammer the pin out from behine. Clean it all up then fill the hole you drilled with liquid metal. Thats how brakes international told me to sort a problem slider I had on my old car, it worked a treat.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .

Return to “Modifications”