Mr2Turbo vs Supra

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Graeme Shaw

Mr2Turbo vs Supra

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Had a little blast against a black Supra tonight.

It was pretty fast!
I have`nt a clue what type was. Does any one know how to tell what kind of Supra it was? ie Turbo, N/A?

Also `Michael Canny` do you know any one, with a fast black Supra, big/loud exhaust and nice silver aftermarket alloys in Newcastle/Gateshead?

It was in Gateshead where we had a go.

Thanks Graeme
Paul R

Re: Mr2Turbo vs Supra

Post by Paul R »

If you could keep up with/over take it then it was probably a modified NA.

If you couldnt keep up with it then it was probably a modified turbo ;)

lol

Theres no way to tell really from the outside!

Paul.
michael

Post by michael »

There are a lot of them up in that area, no way to tell what model they are unless it's a UK spec car and you know what to look for - the J-Spec stuff all looks the same :)

I'll stick a post on the Supra forum and see if anyone admits to playing....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?p=369846
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

michael wrote:There are a lot of them up in that area, no way to tell what model they are unless it's a UK spec car and you know what to look for - the J-Spec stuff all looks the same :)

I'll stick a post on the Supra forum and see if anyone admits to playing....

Oh yeah, forgot about the UK cars! lol.

If it has horns and a scoop then it's was probably a uk car(TT). In that case you would have no trouble beating it! :D:D:D

Sorry, couldnt resist baiting Mr Canny... :)

Paul.
michael

Post by michael »

Paul R wrote:
If it has horns and a scoop then it's was probably a uk car(TT). In that case you would have no trouble beating it! :D:D:D

At least the UK cars don't burst into flames at random :)

(For outsider reference the UK vs J-Spec thing is the MK1 vs MK2 of the Supra world)
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

michael wrote:
Paul R wrote:

At least the UK cars don't burst into flames at random :)

(For outsider reference the UK vs J-Spec thing is the MK1 vs MK2 of the Supra world)

hey...the flames were nothing to do with me mate!! :)

Paul.
Paul R

Post by Paul R »

michael wrote:
Paul R wrote:

Except they are both mkiv's!! lol

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Paul.
michael

Post by michael »

Paul R wrote:
hey...the flames were nothing to do with me mate!! :)

I reckon it was a booby trap ;)
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Stock v Stock, you would trail a little to 60, probably not by very much. Once into the midrange though, the Supra has the legs, torque, extra cylinders and extra turbo to just keep getting faster.

With a decat and exhaust system they are transformed though (the J-spec wastegate is not strong enough once you remove both cats and the cars tend to boost to around 1.2bar with just that one mod), both the UK and J-spec spool up much faster and there is a much bigger wallop as turbo no.2 comes online, a Supe with basic mods would eat a MR2 Turbo. On the other hand, a MR2-T with basic mods would probably be pretty close to a stock Supe, at least at legal speeds.

There are tons of us Supra owners in the North East, btw. (silver '95 J-Spec RZ-S)
Lee @ 3S Service Centre

Post by Lee @ 3S Service Centre »

hum im not too sure myself.

what you mean by midrange?

jj could keep infront of michel's, his brothers uk supra till 110mph

the supra i believe was close to 500bhp.

lee
Patrick Gray

Post by Patrick Gray »

A very good friend of mine drives a jap spec supra TT.It has full HKS exhaust including de-cat with fcd and is boosting at 1.2 bar.I have had several planned encounters with him out on the road just to see how our 2 cars compare.Everytime from a rolling start of say 20mph i can sit right beside him to 120mph,he then begins to slowly pull away.
michael

Post by michael »

thelegend wrote:

I bet he can't anymore :)
paul_h

Post by paul_h »

michael wrote:
thelegend wrote:

I bet he can't anymore :)

:)

think I would agree with that, its supposed to be a bit of an animal these days

paul
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Fer gawds sake, this always happens when you start comparing modded v modded cars. Thats exactly why I made the comment about stock performance.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

thelegend wrote:hum im not too sure myself.

what you mean by midrange?

the supra i believe was close to 500bhp.

lee

Say 3rd gear, 4.5krpm, .... the Supra will just pull and pull and pull....

Now I'm not getting in to any MR2 bashing here, but the fact is that the Supe was built to go faster than the MR2, and does so in all Turbo guises (auto, manual, jspec, uk). What I am saying is that all things being equal, with a good driver, there will be not much in it, at a traffic light dash; but the Supra will start to put distance between it and the MR2 at higher speeds, or if already rolling along at a decent pace.

At the end of the day it's a heavy car, and the 0-60 times show it up a little, compared to light weight cars... once moving though, they're monsters.

Still, my mk1 MR2 should be at least as fast, once I fit a 3SGTE :-)
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Basically it was only a short run, i only got to the top of second gear!
I now rekon from what you ve said it must have been an n/a.

It went like this:

I pull up to set of lights (up hill), and see this mean black supra next to me.
Must admit i felt intimidated sat next to that monster!
Any way i was`nt sure if he was gonna gun it so left my handbrake on, he probably thought the same.

Saying that he then starts edging forwards.
Lights go go green and he goes for it, i couldnt help it, the inner child in me let go (its been miserable weather for weeks so fun to be had), but tonight was dry.
I immediatly got alongside him and by the top of second i was about a car length ahead.
I then slowed and let him past on the roundabout as a bit more of a built up area.

Thats pretty much it.

Whats the spec on n/a and turbo anyway?

Graeme
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

All TT's are available in 6-speed with LSD, or 4 speed auto with overdrive and optionally LSD.

UK TT (2997cc, 6cyl, twin turbo with steel blades)= 326bhp (there are no late spec UK cars)

early J-Spec TT (2997cc, 6cyl, twin turbo with ceramic blades) = 320bhp (if you hear 280bhp it is WRONG, standard imported cars have been dyno tested and are all within ~5-10 bhp of UK models).

late J-Spec TT (2997cc, 6cyl, twin turbo with VVTi with ceramic blades) = 330-ish, slightly more torque.

Normal 0-60 times you hear banded around are 4.9 for the 6 speed, and 5.1-5.2 for the Auto. A lot of folks (me included) reckon the auto is an easier car to drive faster (you really have to drive one to see just how good the auto box is), of the cars that do drag runs, they are almost always the fastest. Top speeds of all models once derestriced are 170mph.

The J-spec v UK debate your heard about is always going on... basically the UK spec got all the goodies as standard and the steel turbine blades last longer and are slightly better top end, the J-Spec had all the options still, but had to be specced with them when bought... it also got ceramic turbine blades as the GT4 and MR2 did - people who have driven them back to back reckon the J-Spec spools up and is on the power faster... but there is not much in it at all

all normally aspirated models are J-Spec:

early n/a (2997cc, 6cyl) = 220-225bhp
late n/a (2997cc, 6cyl, VVTi) = 235-240bhp

0-60 times just over 6 seconds. Top speed 150mph.
michael

Post by michael »

MegatronUK wrote:the J-Spec had all the options still, but had to be specced with them when bought...

Not *all* the options :)

No ivory leather, no standard diff cooler, no bonnet vent, no glass headlamps, no washers, no outside temp display, no bigger injectors, no improved engine cooling via scoop attached to vent..... and so on ;)

Similar though.
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

They aren't options... they're 'bling'

:-D
stevecordiner

Post by stevecordiner »

Graeme, if it was just to the top of your second gear then I'd expect you to have the supra in all honesty.

I wouldn't fancy a rolling 70mph start drag against a supra tho lol!!
Small turbos - they're not big and they're not clever!

Just say NO to small turbos!

Return to “Driving Experiences”