Probably the best two driving roads in the UK

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

PJ3074

Probably the best two driving roads in the UK

Post by PJ3074 »

When I had my first MK1 T-Bar back in 2004, I did two amazing road trips, taking in some excellent views, stop off points and you get to see how well your 2 handles without having to go mental speeds...

Local to me in the SE (Kent down to East Sussex) You head down the M20 to Folkestone sea front which is the start point and then you run the entire A259 along the coast...most of the road is parallel to the sea, goes up into the country side for lots of twistys and up and down from country roads to coastal roads...awesome, sunny days only! 8) 8)

Recommended stop off points along the route from the start point are Sandgate/Hythe, Rye, Bexhill Seafront, Pevensey and Brighton. From Brighton you can then head back up towards the M25 to route home.

Final road trip (not so local to me, but maybe for you) is up in Cumbria. However, caution here it rains alot up there so plump for June/July if you're gonna make a special run to it like I did. Basically from the M6 at Kendall you get off where its posted Windermere and just run the entire A591, not forgetting to stop in Windermere itself (awesome place when dry). Loads of twistys, lake and mountain views, plus you can then deviate towards Barrow and run some more coastal roads towards Whitehaven.

Let me know if there are any more wicked drives out there! :thumleft:
Race Idiot

Re: Probably the best two driving roads in the UK

Post by Race Idiot »

I love threads like these, much rather stuff like this than OMG I TOTALLY SMOKED THAT ENZO/MCLAREN F1/CHAV IN SHOPPING TROLLEY WITH MY TUBBY

I had a quick look on google maps at the A259 but you realy cant tell much by looking at the map.

I remember driving to someone on here from Eastbourne to pick up something silly and my satnav managed to take me down a great route full of twists and turns. Shame I can't remember what the bloody names of the roads were.

Anyone else got any good driving roads in the south east area, sometimes I wonder why I own this car living in london but then a good drive on those types of road reminds me it's worth it even if it's only the odd time. Maybe I should start doing some trackdays lol
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

This is more like it :clap:

I know some great driving roads round north Essex/Herts/Cambs:

A507 from Baldock to Buntingford, then take the B1038 from Buntingford to Newport (Nr. Saffron Walden). A real gem. Twisties, straights, mostly smooth.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... 39453&z=11

B184 from Saffron Walden to Chipping Ongar.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... 19727&z=12

B1039 from Saffron Walden to Royston. Beautiful views and a great, varied 20 minute drive.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... =UTF8&z=11

Biggleswade to St. Ives (Cambs). Awesome road with some extremely fast stretches.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... 19727&z=12

That's local to me anyway.
You can't go wrong in North Wales around Snowdonia or the Peak District (Cat and Fiddle, Snakes Pass, etc, etc). I've yet to try the NY moors or Scotland. Can;t wait though :D
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Warwick to Bedford Via Northampton is a good one.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=en ... 78906&z=10
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

It seems three quarters of our members are geezers!

I live on the edge of the peak district in Hyde within 10 mins drive of Woodhead Pass (brilliant) and Snakes Pass (overrated)...
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

James Junior wrote:It seems three quarters of our members are geezers!

Who are you calling a geezer! Living in North Essex, I tend not to associate myself with the sarf Essex barry boy geezers! :lol: :lol:

:whistle:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Race Idiot wrote:
Anyone else got any good driving roads in the south east area, sometimes I wonder why I own this car living in london but then a good drive on those types of road reminds me it's worth it even if it's only the odd time. Maybe I should start doing some trackdays lol

The further north you go the better the roads get I think. I come from London/SE and since moving up near manchester i've found seom great roads.

B667 to Market harborough is just stunning.

A68 across the borders to Jebburgh. English side is better and less speed cameras.

The Cat & Fiddle A537 absolutley stonking road, though lots of bikers have died on it.

The road from Glencoe to the kyle of lockhalsh is great.

But if you live in the SE you really should go and do some trackdays. Unfortunately much like the roads, all the good tracks are up north, so you'll have to get used to travelling i'm afraid.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
PJ3074

Post by PJ3074 »

Hi all...did another gr8 road on my way back home from Gatwick last night...M25 was stuffed, so I headed back south down the M23 and got off at the exit posted for East Grinstead and drove the country roads from there via Tunbridge Wells, Pembury, Paddock Wood and then Wateringbury to Maidstone.

Only a short 45 min run but some great stretches of B-Road once you're out of East Grinstead...some nice looking pubs too along the route.

Thx to to all for posting up details of other road trips, will hopefully get to try some out....can someone cancel all this bloody rain we're having again!! 8-[
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

It would take more than great roads for me to move up north! :lol:

[just kidding :mrgreen: ]

I'm sure you didn't move up there for the roads, though eh, Lauren? :)

I actually think that one of the main reasons for the roads being better ooooooop North is the lack of hedge/tree lines that obscure visibility. Oh, and the fact that the sky is lower - sorry, it's more hilly :lol:

The drives I posted are defintely rare gems in East Anglia (there are probably tons more I haven't found yet), although having grown up in Kent - there aren't nearly as many good roads down there as there are around here.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

mattcambs wrote:
James Junior wrote:It seems three quarters of our members are geezers!

Who are you calling a geezer! Living in North Essex, I tend not to associate myself with the sarf Essex barry boy geezers! :lol: :lol:

:whistle:

In my book anyone who lives within 50 miles of London is a geezer!
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

In my book, dear boy, you would be a northern monkey then :clap:

\:D/ :oldtongue:

:wink:
Monaco

Post by Monaco »

Me and a group of mates are heading up to Snowdonia in July to experience the 'EVO Triangle'.

I'd never heard of the term before a mate mentioned it to me, but apparently the name comes from it being on of EVO magazine's favourite places to go for test drives and photoshoots.

As pictured, it's a mix of A and B roads, with some awesome scenery which will take your breath away, and whats more some fantastic photo opportunities.

The following images were "borrowed" from Pistonheads :))

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Looks absolutely amazing that. Just hope it isn't ruined by becoming popularised.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
jont

Post by jont »

Lauren wrote:Looks absolutely amazing that. Just hope it isn't ruined by becoming popularised.

Drove part of it a couple of weeks ago. They are some stunning roads, but it's also North Wales police area, and everyone knows how much they love motorists enjoying themselves :roll: There are a lot of equally good roads around there that don't have the association with Evo and will be quieter.

There are a couple of lovely "Gotcha" bends too on the triangle route but to say where would spoil the fun :-$

Jon
Kosshi

Post by Kosshi »

mattcambs wrote:This is more like it :clap:

I know some great driving roads round north Essex/Herts/Cambs:

A507 from Baldock to Buntingford, then take the B1038 from Buntingford to Newport (Nr. Saffron Walden). A real gem. Twisties, straights, mostly smooth.

That Baldock to Buntingford road is intense! I remember driving it in my previous car. Theres some scary blind corners on it.

Hitchin to Barton-le-clay is short but a good one too. Lots of blind bends at the top of hills.

SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

Buttertubs Pass in the Yorkshire Dales.

Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

A18 - IOM - No speed limit 8)

Very dangerous though! Nice long straights with high speed bends where you can see oncomming traffic, once a year it goes one way

Waited till last saturday when most of the bikers had gone home and drove 15 miles to go on it insted of 1.3miles to get home 8)

Return to “Driving Experiences”