bmw e36 328 coupe

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

azamr2

bmw e36 328 coupe

Post by azamr2 »

coming back from lakeside today,,, at the dartford crossing when a guy in a bmw 328 pulls up in the next crossing bay. both leave at the same time.. he guns it before me so i think ok ill play ball (thinking he may have the legs on me) and i sailed past him fairly easily...

considering im driving a n/a rev4 i was quiet proud! he didnt look happy when i overtook him hehehe...

i thought the 328 was meant to be quick....
matt_mr2t

Re: bmw e36 328 coupe

Post by matt_mr2t »

If it was an auto it would be slow, was it a convertible too?
azamr2

Post by azamr2 »

nope was definately manual! and it was a tintop..
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

azamr2 wrote:nope was definately manual! and it was a tintop..

They are reasonably quick... would keep up with an NA without much of a problem tbh.

Trouble is 'racing' on the road is a misnomer, its all about who puts their foot down first.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Monaco

Post by Monaco »

azamr2 wrote:nope was definately manual! and it was a tintop..

How can you say it wasn't definately a manual?

I can believe a Rev 4 N/A beating one, depending on the start, and how long each of you held the gears.
azamr2

Post by azamr2 »

i can say it was a manual because of the way it sounded and how he changed gear!.... he wasnt that far behind me and too start he was infront so i could tell.. auto boxes give nice smooth changes he's werent.. :)
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

I've had a 325i (not much difference between that and a 328i)

I would of said it would of been a good match between a rev4 and a 328i.

My mate had a new 325ci and it seemed slower than the older one.

Still luv the beemers though.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

Back when I had my NA rev4 I tried it on with and an E36 328.

I might as well have tried to do him in a horse and cart - it was a massacre! :oops:
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

My old E39 BMW 528 was definitely faster than my n/a.
Bear in mind that the 5 series is probably quite a bit heavier than the 3 series too.

On a motorway the bimmer was an absolute rocketship. It could cruise at speeds that an n/a could only manage downhill, with a good run-up.

Even on country roads I used to comment to the missus that journey times were often shorter in the BMW even though it was a bigger, softer, car.

TBH, I suspect a lot of this was due to psychology though. In the bimmer might be doing 100mph without realising it.
In the MR2 the opposite is true. The car feels like it is doing 100mph when you are really only doing 50mph.

I'm sure I could outdrag an n/a in my 528 so I don't see why a well-driven 328 would have a problem.
C50

Post by C50 »

azamr2 wrote:i can say it was a manual because of the way it sounded and how he changed gear!.... he wasnt that far behind me and too start he was infront so i could tell.. auto boxes give nice smooth changes he's werent.. :)

maybe he just passed his test. My crx vtec sounds like i'm racing when i accelerate progressively and slowly to 3.5k from the lights. Peeps think i'm racing :(
andyc1988

Post by andyc1988 »

328 should have dispatched it, our 323i felt just as fast if not faster! :oops: than my modified rev1 n/a

Return to “Driving Experiences”