[Mk2] [Generic] How to: Cambelt Change Walkthrough

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tarmaxx

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] How to: Cambelt Change Walkthrough

Post by Tarmaxx »

Hi,

I just spent a day and a half getting the bolt out of mine.

After bending a piece of scaffy pole on the end of my bar, heating and sudden cooling it several times and beating the crap out of the flange to try and shock it loose I made the descision that the survival of the bolt was no longer a possibility.

I cut a slot across the flange with a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder (be careful not to nick the inside edge of the pulley) rotated the engine to the best position, locked it just by putting it in gear and put a cold chisel into the slot. I then beat the living daylights out of it (anticlockwise) for around an hour before it finally gave.

Ok so the bolt didnt make it, but its £8.50 including VAT from a toyota dealer and the job is now moving again.
MrJay

Post by MrJay »

Other way to do it is remove the king lead and jam a breaker bar somewhere then blip the starter that normally cracks it off
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Holy Thread revival!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I had a funny feeling that this job wasnt going to be as bad as i had been informed.

Quite a few people told me that you had to drop the engine On these cars to swap the timing belt. :lol: :lol:

I had a funny feeling that it was going to be somewhat easier.

Shame they didnt make a removable access plate in the wheel arch though for better access, would have been handy.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Holy Thread revival!!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

I had a funny feeling that this job wasnt going to be as bad as i had been informed.

Quite a few people told me that you had to drop the engine On these cars to swap the timing belt. :lol: :lol:

I had a funny feeling that it was going to be somewhat easier.

Shame they didnt make a removable access plate in the wheel arch though for better access, would have been handy.
mrjohneh

Post by mrjohneh »

Just wanted to pile in for anyone struggling with the 19mm pulley bolt, I used two high end impact wrench guns and no luck, added a harmonic balancer socket into the mix, came off in a second flat.

Paid about 30-35 quid for mine, tried leveraging in every other way (except for locking up the flywheel)

Return to “Mechanical”