Near death experience

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

The gauge only goes up to 2.0 but the turbo just keeps going,the pipe will now stay off till I get ebc fitted. :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
matt_mr2t

Re: Near death experience

Post by matt_mr2t »

Hate to burst your bubble but your engine and turbo isnt going to last long.
Unless it's made of Kryptonite or something your lack of boost control will soon end in catastrophic failure.

They're just not meant to be used like that.
I really am struggling to figure out what all this swapping pipe malarky is all about but it sounds both amaturish and incorrect to me.

With a big engine build, expensive parts and a large turbo every effort should be made to control it all. If you dont even know how much boost your running then this simply isnt the case. The total lack of control could and probably will result in the turbo spinning at speeds it simply cannot take and eventually it'll fall apart. This is of course if you dont melt the engine first when the fuel cant match the amount of air being forced into the engine.

If I were you I'd get it off to some where like TDi over at Lakeside and get it checked over properly, they can tell you exactly how much boost your running and if it's set up properly for about £40 I think.
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Cheers Matt :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
lockys96

Post by lockys96 »

i went from t88 to gt35r

the t88 is a laugh if you like lag, and is only good for drag.

the gt35 responds so well, and makes more power.

t88 is such old design and is best left to stroked rx7/supra engines
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

My engine is stroked :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
Azz

Post by Azz »

All this talk of Turbo lag, :mrgreen:

Sequential Twin Turbos,,, that will fix your problem, what's Lag again??? :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

All the big power RX7's I've seen have one large turbo?
Same with Supra's and Skylines.
Joe_M

Post by Joe_M »

matt_mr2t wrote:With a big engine build, expensive parts and a large turbo every effort should be made to control it all. If you dont even know how much boost your running then this simply isnt the case. The total lack of control could and probably will result in the turbo spinning at speeds it simply cannot take and eventually it'll fall apart.

The car was mapped by a reputable guy (Peter at Thor) the day the car was bought. He said that it had been mapped at 1.6 bar, as requested and it wasn't noticed that it was boosting past this for a little while- its hard to watch a boost gauge when you let loose over 500 horses.

matt_mr2t wrote:I really am struggling to figure out what all this swapping pipe malarky is all about but it sounds both amaturish and incorrect to me.

](*,) From that I'll assume you don't know how an external wastegate works! See picture below:

[/img]Image[/img]

By removing the pipe from the MBC, you just vent the top port to atmosphere, which allows the wastegate to open much sooner. An effective, non-amaturish way of reducing boost levels without having to rush out and buy an EBC. Boosts at a nice constant 1 bar at the moment!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

That picture means nothing lol, an external wastges purpose is the same as and internals weather it works the same or not. To release excess exhaust gasses once maximum boost is reached.

It sounds to me like this thing has no limit on the boost pressure as it's going right off the guage (2bar - do you know any one running 2 bar on an MR2?). If there's no limit eventually it'll all self destruct.

Would you honestly trust a set up, regardless as to who set it up if your maximum boost was flying off the chart and you had NO way to see what it was?
Joe_M

Post by Joe_M »

matt_mr2t wrote:That picture means nothing lol, an external wastges purpose is the same as and internals weather it works the same or not.

You said you didn't understand what the pipe swapping was about. I was merely trying to educate you.

The reason I mentioned that it was set up by a reputable person is that there was no reason to think it wasn't running 1.6 bar when it'd come straight from the mappers. In time it became apparent that the MBC wasn't capable of reducing the pressure in the top port sufficiently to keep the boost at a safe level. So now the said pressure is at atmospheric, due to the disconnection of the MBC. This means its boosting a steady 1 bar and will be until time and money permit the installation of an EBC. So nothing will self destruct or fall apart. :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'm confused, you say it's running 1 bar but the other guy says it's going off the 2bar guage?

Which is it?
Joe_M

Post by Joe_M »

matt_mr2t wrote:I'm confused, you say it's running 1 bar but the other guy says it's going off the 2bar guage?

Which is it?

It was running around 2 bar with the top port connected. Now its running 1 bar. The engine is capable of running 2 bar with the current internals, but its not great for everyday. And like you say, it needs to be regulated properly.

Its my dads car btw :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

So Alan Watts is your dad?
Joe_M

Post by Joe_M »

matt_mr2t wrote:So Alan Watts is your dad?

Yes
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I wish my dad had a 500+ bhp car :shock:

How old are you two?
Tasty

Post by Tasty »

Dad speaking now Joe is nearly 21 and drives an awesome Mitzi Legnum and Im a bit older and not nearly as clever as my inadequate explanation prooves . :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
Joe_M

Post by Joe_M »

matt_mr2t wrote:I wish my dad had a 500+ bhp car :shock:

How old are you two?

Dads in his 50s, still getting to grips with his first ever computer :lol: . I'm 20, drive a Legnum VR4. Its quite funny that I've got the practical(ish) car I suppose. lol
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

EXCUSE ME BUT WHERE ARE THE DAM PICCCCCCCSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sounds sweet!

i would definatly look at the Gt35R, have you seen lockys dyon plots of his old t88 and the 35....same/more peak power, but a HUGE difference in midrange power and spool....
forget having to wait til 5k rpm before anything happens....itll drive and feel so much better and safer to...
wish i had 500hp! :eye:
oh and if it was done at thor, that is 513 at the hubs, no quite the same as at the wheels....
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

matt_mr2t wrote:2bar - do you know any one running 2 bar on an MR2

there's quite a few peeps that run 2 bar + on an mr2. Like this guy, they're no longer using CT based turbo's.

but like JimGTS said, where's the pictures of the car ????????????
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Who's actually running 2+ bar though?
I dont know any one, they've all been up to about 1.6 bar on things like Garrett GT's

Never actually seen an MR2 on here or in the flesh run any where near 2bar.

I once accidently hit 1.9b on my CT20 when the pipe came off the actuator. Foook me it flew lol.

Return to “Driving Experiences”