Near death experience

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

:sick: Aint had the monster that long.Put it a garage for a new clutch and bits<WESTFIELDS>Now the beast has over 500 gee gees on high boost,but Iwas running on low boost with one of pipes off of the manual boost controler while I got a bit more familiar with the power.Iwent to pick it up when it was done,but unknown to me one of the lads at the garage tidied up the engine bay and put the high boost pipe back on.Now I drove out of the garage nice and easy and got on to the A127 It had warmed up nicly when I stopped for fuel.Ipulled out behind a van and a beamer was coming up the outside fairly quickly,plenty of room for me to pull out and pass I thought,I accelerated past the van and thats when the :fun: started,my car acted as if there was a pole right down the middle pivoting me side to side I went up the road like that for about 150 yards Ithought I was going through the Armco , I thought this is it im dead.Anyway suffice to say I made it,all the other road users must have thought <what a pratt>untill I get an EBC that pipe stays off.
513BHP at the hubs
Slarty

Re: Near death experience

Post by Slarty »

500?? :shock: No wonder you had a bit of a "moment" :lol:

Glad you survived though :thumleft:
Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

Cheers Slarty :D
513BHP at the hubs
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

Was it on dry road? That was a close call...500 is a lot...for just the back wheels....

A lot harder to control and risk compared to 4WD and wider cars running that sort of power.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
Azz

Post by Azz »

Mines only god 280BHP but in the wet you might as well forget it as its all over the show, My mate beet me in a quick sprint IN A FOKING FIAT BRAVO!!! in the wet not long ago, we was going round a bend and i was all over, my back end was out and i could not put the power down while he just under-steered his way round.

I suppose 500BHP would be like driving in the wet all day :mrgreen:

Good luck!!! :thumleft:
Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

Yes lads it was bone dry.
513BHP at the hubs
Red Devil

Post by Red Devil »

alan_watts wrote:Now the beast has over 500 gee gees on high boost,but Iwas running on low boost with one of pipes off of the manual boost controler while I got a bit more familiar with the power.

Eh? :shock:
Maybe I'm way off base but I would have thought that you would have a job to get that sort of power with an MBC.
Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

If you wana see the print out no probs or you can ring Peter at Thor.I dont tell porkys,it was mapped at 513wbhp at 1.6 bar as it happens it now boosts off the scale,when its booted everthing happens so quickly and it was pulling over 2.0 bar bad news Ithink.Its done 1-4 in 10.6. Oh I forgot to say that was with a mbc.
513BHP at the hubs
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

The question is.....why have you spent all that money yet still opt for an MBC? Just curious!?

Mikejc
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

My god, fair play :lol: but to be totally fair, anything over 400bhp in an MR2 for street use is just asking for trouble taking into account power to weight, it's just insane. Don't get me wrong, i'd love that sort of power and i'm jealous as hell, but I would plough it into a Skyline R34 V-Spec or something similar that could take that kind of power safely.

I know I know, 'wuss' but 9 times out of 10 a standard v-spec would kill it unless you just did straightlining.
Tasty

Near death experience.

Post by Tasty »

Right first I bought it as it is ,Inever ever realised what it would be like,secondly,yes if you aint in a perfectly straight line watch out its dangerous,but ,and what a but ,Lambos Porches Shues toys and anything else that tries to teach Toyota whats what gets poo on all over ,ok only on on the M.way,but what a buzzzz nothing ever passes us on the right side ,and this old boy will race anything on the twistys anyway. :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Near death experience.

Post by Lauren »

alan_watts wrote:Right first I bought it as it is ,Inever ever realised what it would be like,secondly,yes if you aint in a perfectly straight line watch out its dangerous,but ,and what a but ,Lambos Porches Shues toys and anything else that tries to teach Toyota whats what gets poo on all over ,ok only on on the M.way,but what a buzzzz nothing ever passes us on the right side ,and this old boy will race anything on the twistys anyway. :D :D :D

If its dangerous in anything but a 'perfectly straightline', it sounds like you have way too much power for the chassis.

Trouble is its a POP to put your foot down in a straightline. From what you've said i'm not convinced you'd ever be able to put the power down out of the corners.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

Tis that,turbo dont come in till 5000 revs. :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

lol fair does man, if beating stuff in a straightline in your thing then ignore these people with 'track' cars running honda accord power, you've got an awesome car. It WILL handle well but boost on that kind of car has to be smooth and you have to be on the ball all the time. I'd personally bring down the boost levels and go for 400bhp for everyday use and then turn the boost up on the motorway to embarass ferraris/lambos etc. Just get an electronic boost controller such as blitz dsbc spec-r with 4 boost settings.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mr2nut123 wrote:lol fair does man, if beating stuff in a straightline in your thing then ignore these people with 'track' cars running honda accord power, you've got an awesome car.

'Honda accord power'? Blasphemy. :-:

'track car'.... nope totally standard road car. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

alan_watts wrote:If you wana see the print out no probs or you can ring Peter at Thor.I dont tell porkys,it was mapped at 513wbhp at 1.6 bar as it happens it now boosts off the scale,when its booted everthing happens so quickly and it was pulling over 2.0 bar bad news Ithink.Its done 1-4 in 10.6. Oh I forgot to say that was with a mbc.

Out of interest what ECU are you using? In theory, I suppose using a MBC keeps things nice and simple.

Also, sounds like you need to swap the ancient T88 lag monster for a GT35 roller bearing :wink: :lol: :whistle:
Tasty

Near death experience

Post by Tasty »

First-cheers mr2nut123 its on my list <I love the twistys 2> Second-Its got an Apexipower fc management systemwith commander and a GreddyE-manage ecu for the extra 4 injectors Sard 850s on one and Sard550s on the Greddy. :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It sounds to me like you dont even have the pipe connected for the boost controller hence it "boosting off the scale"

You said something about 1 pipe for one thing and another for something else?

You should just have a pipe between the turbo and actuator with a valve in the middle, the valve controls the boost sent to actuator and tells it when to open to release excess exhaust gasses. I guess it's the same principle for an external wastegate set up too?

If that pipe is left off NOTHING is limiting your boost and sooner or later you'll end up with a pile of molten metal where your engine used to be.
Tasty

Near deth experience

Post by Tasty »

Hi Matt there are 2 pipes fitting on to the mbc.When Pete at Thor mapped it he said "with:this:pipe on it will boost at 1.6 and with it off it will boost at 1.0 Now with it off it boosts at 1.0 ,still very<quick> and if I re-connect it it goes of the gauge if I dont watch it,and thats very difficult,because as Ive said when the revs hit 5000 everything happens so quickly. :D :D :D
513BHP at the hubs
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It sounds very innacurate and dangerous to me. What does the guage go up to?

Return to “Driving Experiences”