[All] [Generic] Maguiars Deep Crystal 3 stage paint trestment.........

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

MID LIFE CRISIS

[All] [Generic] Maguiars Deep Crystal 3 stage paint trestment.........

Post by MID LIFE CRISIS »

Hiya, has anyone used this ? I bought it today, tried it out on my slightly faded pinky/white ( should be red) spoiler. Paint Cleaner got rid of all fade in minites and left paint a proper deep shiny red. Polish next, no probs, easy on easy off. Went to wax and some faint pinkness was back, totally gone before it was polished :? Waxed it anyway with no difference. Did it all over again and same happened :mad: .Seems the cleaner is "The Bizz" but not to sure about polish and wax ?
SW20Paul

Re: [All] [Generic] Maguiars Deep Crystal 3 stage paint trestment.........

Post by SW20Paul »

I used and thought it was very good, that was on a black car though. try there tech wax I rate that better than the carnuba stuff :thumleft:
cherdyboy

Post by cherdyboy »

alot of people dont rate the 3rd stage ( ie . the wax), altho i found it to do an OK job on my old red rev3.
I like the step one paint cleaner, as it does remove alot of crap on the surface and leaves a smooth finish.
The polish ive found to be good, altho pretty mush interchangable with autoglym super resin polish.
I would use mequieres gold class wax as the final stage, altho ive heard that poorboys or chemical guys wax give a super wet-look finish.
I think tis just trial and error, try to find something that gives a good finish without having to break your balls buffing the stuff off.
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

3rd stage is really poor. Its Carnuaba Wax content is really low.

What has happened is the solvents and petrolium distillates in the 1st stage have masked the faded paint but by the time you have come to put step 3 on these solvents have started to evaporate away. The 1st stage contains micro abrasive in the form of silica. You need to really work the product on the paintwork for a fair amount of time to remove the oxidisation rather than mask it.

Another way to explain it is if you have a faded red car and run a hose over it it will look bright red whilst wet. Once the water drys off the paint it will look dull again. The same thing happened with your polish.

The solvents and petrolium distillates are there to enhance the finish,provide lubrication and make the product dry so it can be buffed off.

Another factor that wont help is that the rear spoliers on red MR2's have a tendancy to fade worse than the rest of the car. They really do take a lot of work to bring back to life.
MID LIFE CRISIS

Cheers fellas, will keep all this in mind as i take advantage of the weather and carry on with the task today. :thumleft:
weegaz22

Post by weegaz22 »

ive used this on a faded red mk2 before, as others have said work the paint cleaner for a bit longer (like as if you are using it as tcut, keep it wet and really work it in) when i did mines it used to last a few weeks before starting to fade back
Whippett

Post by Whippett »

I bought mine from a Meguiars trade stand at a show and was sold stage 1, 2 and the tech wax. I've used on a black car and was great.

Get a Halford's 240v polisher, the paintwork will come up gleaming :thumleft:
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Ive given Jeff D some of our cleaner wax called Mirror Image. This stuff will do exactly the same as Meguires 3 step system but only using one product and it also has a much higher Carnauba Wax content. I dont think Jeff has used it yet though.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Oh yes I have! LOL

I used it yesterday - I'll go and take some pics and post em upo in 10 mins....dont go away!
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Now im excited!! Be back later,just in the middle of valeting my interior lol.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Right - first of all apologies for low quality of these pics - they really dont do justice as I took them all in "close up" mode by accident so they are a bit fuzzy. Also I actually polished the car yesterday and its rained plu Ive been using a hovver mower this morning so the cars are actuyally quite dirty - never mind :-(

It was pretty easy to apply and buffed off easily with microfibre clothes :-)

JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Ive had another go as the first lot of pictures are pants! LOL

JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Looking good Jeff. You will probrably find it a touch harder to apply than Autoglym Super Resin Polish as the high content of Carnauba Wax makes it drag slightly more. Its hard to tell the real finish from the pics as you say though as they are a bit fuzzy but the Rover looks to have a nice reflective/wet look under all the grass and dust you created with the hover mower lol.

One last thing,because it has intelligent cutting nibs in it,the more you use it,the better the gloss gets every time. Make sure you rub it well into the paintwork to break the cutting nibs down and turn them into smooth polishing plates,thats what will really give you the gloss.

I take it you put that Highstyle on the tyres?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I did yes! Really like the tyre stuff - it seems to absorb into the tyre a bit and ends up giving a nice even shine but not too shiney which is good.

Just need something to shine up the black plastic bits now!... LOL
MID LIFE CRISIS

Went over the most of the car again with the cleaner, really rubbing it in, took hours. The other parts, rear bumper, front wings, bonnet, just used MER and they came up great. So then used MER on the whole car, looks fantastic now, lets see how it lasts ! :-k

Popped over to ROGUE after i'd finished and Patrick commented on how shiney it was, so can't be bad. :clap:
MID LIFE CRISIS

Nice and shiney :clap:

Yes i know i parked on the hosepipe lol.
James Junior

Post by James Junior »

What a result - looks great!

Can anyone recommend anything or restoring yellow paintwork?
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

For a real shine you need a black car. ;)

Extubby

Post by Extubby »

Don't buy a halfords polisher!
Go and invest in a Porter Cable polisher. I have one and it's amazing!! Have no pictures at work to show but results are super!!
pcp

Post by pcp »

L0rdMike wrote:For a real shine you need a black car. ;)

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l0rdmike/Car/DSC_0044.JPG

Don't start, most people believe you can't see the curvy lines on a black car, when in reality it's the opposite if it's polished up nice like yours, the LRV between black and white (highlights) is the highest possible, looks ace by the way, what did you use? :clap:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”