Even Hideo Kojima is dissapointed with MGS

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SamUK

Even Hideo Kojima is dissapointed with MGS

Post by SamUK »

for those that dont know who he is. Hes the CREATOR of metal gear solid and im pretty shocked hes given this interview.

especially before the games even released!!

interestingly he says they have used the full potential of the mighty cell chip.

Looks like Kojima Jr. isn't the only one disappointed with Metal Gear Solid. The latest issue of the UK's Edge magazine contains an interview with Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, who expresses disappointment with the latest game in the series, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

"Game-wise, it's pretty close to the original vision: you sneak into the battlefield and can choose whether to do a stealth game or interfere with the battle more directly. But the graphic, side things like motion-blending and the size of the map, totally was not accomplished to my original vision - to my satisfaction."

Now Kojima is a well-known perfectionist, but it is a bit disturbing to see him voice his dissatisfaction with what is supposed to be the masterpiece of the franchise. So where does he lay the blame for not fully realizing his vision?

"When we first showed the game engine at TGS, the staff were really proud and happy. PS3 was a dream machine, y'know, and we were going to work on this and that - and we had so many ideas. But when we actually started developing the game, we realized there were a lot of restrictions and so it turned out how you see it today. The original vision was to go ten steps further, the reality was just one step, which isn't to say we didn't progress".

So there was certainly progress made, but not enough progress...or more specifically, not enough power for progress. Apparently the team overestimated what the PlayStation 3 was capable of.

"I remember saying three years ago that we wanted to create something revolutionary, but in reality we couldn't really do that because of the CPU. We're using the Cell engine to its limit., actually. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the PS3 machine, it's just that we weren't really aware of what the full-spec PS3 offered - we were creating something we couldn't entirely see."

Well there you have it, straight from the man himself. Metal Gear Solid 4 is not revolutionary. Personally I think the man is being a bit hard on himself, but that's what great minds do.

i have no doubts that the game will be very good still but why come out and say that?
spudgun

Re: Even Hideo Kojima is dissapointed with MGS

Post by spudgun »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I bet Sony are pleased with that.

Is that legit though Sam :-k , it almost sounds like its made up.

It does sound quite negative.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

http://kotaku.com/381412/kojima-disappo ... ar-solid-4

its an interview in Edge magazine.

apparently hes a total perfectionist and does expect a bit much from even todays consoles (he once said bluray was too small) but even still, doesnt sound good does it?

and i only know all that cos i did some reading. anyone who jus reads edge will be reconsidering there MGS purchase i think.
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

:whistle:
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
The-Shield

Post by The-Shield »

I'll still be picking up a PS3 for this though.
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Could very well be a PR stunt. They did it with MGS 2. Kept it a secret Raiden was in it. Kojima is known to pull these stunts.

Ok would be a mad one but people will buy it anyway so maybe its to get hype down.
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

nakamura wrote:Could very well be a PR stunt. They did it with MGS 2. Kept it a secret Raiden was in it. Kojima is known to pull these stunts.

Ok would be a mad one but people will buy it anyway so maybe its to get hype down.

indeed
although i was rather pi$$ed that u played most the game as raiden it was cool that u plaed along side snake undercover...

but seriously imagen how he would have felt if he would have had to make it on the 360 :shock: :shock:
Bender Unit

Post by Bender Unit »

but seriously imagen how he would have felt if he would have had to make it on the 360

Pleased? It would have taken him half the time to program, would have looked just as good, would have sold more units, could have been easily ported the game into PC, PSP and PS3 formats and introduce MGS to a whole new audience - which would lengthen the lifespan of the series and make him even more money.

There is a reason why all these amazing PS3 titles take eon's to come out and when they do they arent as good as expected. People struggle to programme them. It has all this power but no one knows how to use it.

Its like having a 500bhp race car and driving around on 65 section, ditch finder tyres. It has so much potential but absolutley no way to use it.

I predict game makers will move away from the platform if they cant programme on it easily.

They cant justfiy the investment in time to make a game for 1 console, if they can make it on the 360 and easily port it onto another machine. The longer they take to make the game the less profit they make and you can only charge so much for a game.

This is why games like GT5 are being rushed out in some half ar$ed prologue version to get some money in to cover spiralling productions costs.

No 360 fanboy comments here, this is just logical business sense.
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

its funny you should say that because i was gonna reply saying that he probably wouldnt of said anything as it would of been out 6 months ago lol.

Return to “Games Consoles”