[Mk2] [Turbo] What's your mpg?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dawolf

[Mk2] [Turbo] What's your mpg?

Post by dawolf »

I just went on here http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

It works out your fuel consumption and total cost of mileage. You just type in miles covered, litres used and cost per litre. I've worked out mine for this week. I've done 114 miles and used 19 litres in that time. It works out to 27.28mpg. I admit I haven't boosted all that much this week but still I'm pleased with that figure, especially considering my old N/A barely returned 30mpg. I've always thought the turbo was quite thirsty but it must be my heavy right foot on the open roads. Lol.

Post your results up :)

PS - Anyone know the max fuel capacity for the MR2?
MR2_RICH

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] What's your mpg?

Post by MR2_RICH »

Why am I only getting 18 mpg then?

27 sounds high to be honest unless I've got a hole in my tank.

I only get 180 miles to a tank (top to bottom markers).

mmmm :-k think I may have some fueling issues.
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Hmm, yeah I get about 230ish to a tank. Rev 3 onwards are known to be more economical.
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Like a few other topics this is now being covered almost every week!!......
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

12.2 due to my overfueling problem :(
S.K

Post by S.K »

around 20mpg on my rev3 turbo, in normal roads, better on motorways, if driving normal 70-80 mph
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Yes I know the topic's covered a lot but thought it was a useful link for people.
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

MR2_RICH wrote:Why am I only getting 18 mpg then?

I think the clue is in your username ;)
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

HHmmm...

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

:-k Hmm........My N/A only does 210 miles form a full tank,thats not good is it? :shock:
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

fah!

my tubbie uses twice as much petrol per journey than my old car....

but I enjoy driving it more than twice as much.

Net result - value for money is increased.

but I now drive it less, so reduce my carbon footprint.

everyone's a winner!

Ian
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

im in safety mode at the at the mo and only getting 7psi boost drive the car on a mix of roads but dont really get it much over 60 cos of the traffic and im regularly hitting 27-30mpg and seeing 280+ to a tank
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

Typically i get about 30mpg out of my rev 3 turbo booting it wherever i get the opportunity. Worst i've seen is about 25mpg and the best 33mpg on a long motorway drive. It's completely stock apart from slightly higher compression pistons which help increase the efficiency a little bit.
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

Goto10 wrote:
MR2_RICH wrote:Why am I only getting 18 mpg then?

I think the clue is in your username ;)

:lol: excellent mate. Maybe it me then not my right foot.

I know I will get shot down here and told it's been covered many times before however what can cause running Rich ?

All serviced and seems ok. Too much boost? some kind of sensor? I don't think I have any error codes. :-k

Any advice would be good as in all honesty I drive quite carefully on my commute to work and back. Always wait untill it's warm etc.
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

Could be the 02 sensor
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

What im going to do as I dont really have much in the way of variations to my route to work and i dont really get above 65 and its 54 miles each way motorway driving same times and only boosted to get up to speed on M/way slip roads and passing slow vehicles.

I am going to fill up with all the different brands of fuel and give you a rough guide to see what is the best fuel for the moneywhat gives the best economy what gives the best performance

I shouldnt see much difference but will be interesting to see what variations i have.

The Car is basically a stock Mk2 Rev2 Turbo apart from a K/N and breather pipe blocked off and some suspension mods I recently had the fuel tank out for a new fuel pump and i changed the fuel filter and gave the tanks a good clean so the fuel system is as good as it can get in stock form. I am in safety and only getting 7psi boost at the mo though.

Results so far

Total Super 97 £1.13 full to red on constant 302miles 31.88MPG.

Next is Esso Super will fill tonight and post results prob tues/wed Tesco super After that and Shell Optimax after that. If their is anything people particularly want to see
Last edited by Tiny on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BiGWiLlYsTyLe

Post by BiGWiLlYsTyLe »

Wow its like a science experiment now,how exciting! :thumleft:

P.S 302 miles is really good,i might start using that!
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tiny wrote:Next is Esso Super will fill tonight and post results prob tues/wed Tesco super After that and Shell Optimax after that. If their is anything people particularly want to see

Why don't you measure it properly?

Fill to brim. Drive x number of miles. Then re-brim take the no of miles travelled, divide by how many litres to re-fill then multiply by 4.54.

No need to guess really.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Yeah that's the most accurate way to record it.

I'd like to see the results for BP ultimate 97 as that's my usual fuel.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Lauren wrote:
Tiny wrote:Next is Esso Super will fill tonight and post results prob tues/wed Tesco super After that and Shell Optimax after that. If their is anything people particularly want to see

Why don't you measure it properly?

Fill to brim. Drive x number of miles. Then re-brim take the no of miles travelled, divide by how many litres to re-fill then multiply by 4.54.

No need to guess really.

Hence the Term "Rough guide" lauren :thumleft:

But There is no guess work involved here at all I know how many liters i filled the tank with i just didnt have the receipt with the figure on to hand when i wrote the post and when i did i couldnt edit it. MPG for the Total Excellium 97ron was 31.88 btw

I just dont see the point in driving X number of miles as by driving a whole tank full i get a decent average of roads and driving conditions so its more of a general fuel economy figure rather than a "im going to drive 50 miles here at this speed then fill the tank again to see what my MPG is" as that wont help someone unles they are going recreate the exact route, speed and driving conditions.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tiny wrote:
Hence the Term "Rough guide" lauren :thumleft:

But There is no guess work involved here at all I know how many liters i filled the tank with i just didnt have the receipt with the figure on to hand when i wrote the post and when i did i couldnt edit it. MPG for the Total Excellium 97ron was 31.88 btw

I just dont see the point in driving X number of miles as by driving a whole tank full i get a decent average of roads and driving conditions so its more of a general fuel economy figure rather than a "im going to drive 50 miles here at this speed then fill the tank again to see what my MPG is" as that wont help someone unles they are going recreate the exact route, speed and driving conditions.

But why bother doing a 'rough guide' which merely introduces extraneous variables, when you can so easily work out the mpg much more accurately.

You don't have to drive X number of miles... just use up the tank then re-brim and do the math. Its not rocket science is it?

You'll never be able to re-create other's driving habits anyway, i don't see your point about that.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”