[Mk2] [NA] premium audio system?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

CM1GT

[Mk2] [NA] premium audio system?

Post by CM1GT »

hi, i tried to fit a new head unit a few weeks ago and found all the wires too it were seperate from the loom, removed my seats yesterday and found what appears to be a speaker / sub in the box behind the passenger seat, would this mean my car has the premium audio system fitted? and if so what does it consist of so i can remove it?
No_more_GT4

Re: [Mk2] [NA] premium audio system?

Post by No_more_GT4 »

Yes you do have the prmium or 'active' system I think it's also known as :? There should be a speaker behind the drivers seat too.

Don't know what it consists of exactly. There's an amp in there somewhere, maybe behind one of the rear 1/4 pannels as I looked there today to see if I could fit my amp in there( :lol: ) & there was a silver box, which I assumed was some knid of amp.

I'm leaving my premium system in there, but not having it wired up as when I come to sell it I'll just plug it all back in.

Hope this helps :?: :?

Rich
steve b

Re: [Mk2] [NA] premium audio system?

Post by steve b »

Leave it all in, the premium system sounds good as stock and when you sell the car many buyers will want it stock. If its really not up to it for you, how about new component speakers attached to the stock loom?

Some muppet who owned my car in the past ran new wires to 4 new speakers, front doors and rear shoulder height ones. Chopped the premium system wires, but didn't know how to use a multimeter so ran cables direct to battery for ground and 12V, 1/4" thick cable then to one type of block convertor with weeny wires, to another block convertor with weenies wires again before it got to the stereo. Also installed a big sub and amp, again huge wires connected with weenie halford spade connectors. All you could hear was bass and a change in tone from one side of the car as one speaker went on and off with the dodgy connections and all the speakers thumping ever time you turned the key.

I've spent the last 5 hours ripping out the yards of un-necessary wire and re-instating the 2 tweaters in the doors and 2 subs behind the seats, it already sounds much better.

If you are going to remove it, do a good job, if anyone owns up to having done the "install" on my car they will be shamed. :)

Return to “ICE and Security”