[Mk2] [Turbo] knocking from the rear

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

T-Bar Turbo

[Mk2] [Turbo] knocking from the rear

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

well it looks like my off side rear shocks had it #-o

I`m getting a banging noise and the handling is off a bit so its time for a think of what to do. My current setup is the yellow bilies with it being a rev4 turbo so do i just get a pair of rear billies and stick them on or would it be a better idea getting a coilover kit and replacing them all ?

the 2`s just clocked 82500 or there abouts on a 96 plate, i use it as my daily drive so i dont want anything to harsh

what setup are you all using and what would you guys think i should go for ?
Tiny

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] knocking from the rear

Post by Tiny »

Drug your midget before putting him in the boot that way he wont roll around causing your upset handling midgets are heavy you know.

and he wont cry out loud and knock to be let out if you drug him too :thumleft:

And if your getting a banging noise get under the car and check that you dont have a perished bushing could be causing your problems knocking and upsetting your handling.
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Banging at the rear could be a number of things from worn droplinks, bushes, balljoints, topmounts, shocks... as Tiny said, do a visual inspection first - jack each wheel up and lever them up and down with a plank of wood, whilst holding each of the above parts to see what is making the noise / has play.

It could even be a droplink loose.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

:lol: :lol: :gayfight: haha that title cracked me up.. im such a dork! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Do you have an aftermarket LSD?
T-Bar Turbo

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

went to see my mate today at the garage where he works so i had chance to get the 2 on the ramps. After a good inspection its the shock thats causing the knocking noise . Had a nose on fensport and they sell the yellow billies for 145 each . I have only owned the 2 since november last year so i`m not sure if the shocks have ever been changed but looking at them they are not new so replacing the faulty shock is not really the best option so its looking like i`m going to have to get a new setup unless anyone has a used yellow billie sat in there shed/garage that they wish to sell me ?

what setup is the best for the turbo ?

the cars more or less standard apart from the exhaust and filter. i was planning on a few mods but i need to get this sorted before i do anything else
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

Tiny wrote:Drug your midget before putting him in the boot that way he wont roll around causing your upset handling midgets are heavy you know.

and he wont cry out loud and knock to be let out if you drug him too :thumleft:

FPMSL, that is FUNNY.
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

hi there i have a knocking sound like wood knocking from the rearwheels too.can this be top mounts and what is a billie?

thank you guys :oldtongue:

greetings from germany.
T-Bar Turbo

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

Daemonslayer wrote:hi there i have a knocking sound like wood knocking from the rearwheels too.can this be top mounts and what is a billie?

thank you guys :oldtongue:

greetings from germany.

it could be your top mount best thing to do is get the car jacked up or better still on a ramp.

The noise i had was a hollow/knocking kind of noise which after inspection turned out to be coming from the shock ( yellow bilstein - billie )

after doing some searches i`m swaying towards a set of coilovers, tein ss look favourable i`m just trying to find the best deal before i part with my cash
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

thank you i will let a mechanic look after this.
i believe my topmounts are too old (not knowing if noise comes from there) because i experienced problems with topmount driver side on the front.when i turn my steering wheel the spring slides on the plate where the mount is without turning the plate.so it seems to stuck.maybe the rear topmounts are damaged too.i hope i find it because that sounds drive me crazy.
its really a hard and deep wood sound like "BonhhKK"

what is coilover?is that the tompmounts?
T-Bar Turbo

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

coilovers are the suspension setup they are fully adjustable so you can alter the height and camber of the car
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

I also have the hollow wood sounding knocking coming from the rear.

I've changed to Tein coil overs (retained the original top mounts), swapped drop links and the sound is still there as before :mad:

Before changing the shock i wondered if the rear top mounts could of expired but then thought. "they aint like the front, theres no moving parts" but now i'm thinking they could be knackered.

Any ideas?

If it aint the rear top mounts then theres only the ball joints to go at.

Spannerman
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

i will be at a mechanic in 2 weeks -lets see what he finds.
is there no bearing in the rear coil over parts??If this is the case i dont know if the sound comes from them.
I believe its something near the whells like thin those bars around the shockabsorber (i dont know the english term)
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

I have this same problem too,....seems like theres a teeny bit of play in the shock? Not an uncommon problem on the 2 I assume. Does sound like a droplink thats gone though...let us know what you plan to do.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

I've replaced all the below:-

--- Shocks with Tein Coil Overs
--- Drop Links
--- Anti Roll bar bushes (Front / rear)
--- Ball joints (Front)
--- Top mounts (Front)

I still get the wooden knocking noise from Rear. It can't be any of the above, all I can see it being now is either Ball joints (rear) or the Top mounts of the rear shocks.

I'm leaning towards the top mounts as its more of a wooden sounding knocking where as Ball Joints tend to sound more metalic once pooooped.

The only thing is theres nothing to break in the rear top mounts, i'm puzzled :?

Spannerman :?
T-Bar Turbo

Post by T-Bar Turbo »

Spannerman

i would say it was the top mounts bud

have a nose on fensport they are only £40 each for the trd ones, i recently bought 2 for the front great service they where with me within 48hrs
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Are you sure nothing is just loose? Like exhaust hanger or something...?
Antstarr

Post by Antstarr »

Spanner man before you changed over the shock did you get any play within the shock? If ou try jacking up the car and move the rear shock does it still move a little...you have to move it up and down to notice it.

I think I might try on my topmounts too.
Watashi wa Ant desu, BAKA!!!
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

The Bilsteins that I replaced with the Tein Coilovers where fitted to a friends N/A MR2.

We used his top mounts and guess what, no knocking.

I'm gonna replace the rear top mounts at some point but also have a look around the car.

It almost sounds like someone is tapping the resonator box by the air filter. This could even be loose.

Cheers

Spannerman
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Check the engine lid side panel is not loose, and that your engine lid isn't banging on a strut brace or something - remove it for a couple of gentle drives to see...
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im also getting a little knocking noise from the rear (Checked the boot and there was no midgets :mrgreen: ) . I just thought it was because of the stiff coilovers now Im thinking its something else :?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”