aerials

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

aerials

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

hiya,

i went and bought an aerial supposedly from a mk1 last night in Erith, Kent. Quite a drive for me, but it was a tenner! Bargain!

But it came from an E reg, and looks nothing at all like mine. has anyone got a picture of a mk2 aerial, as the one i got, just looks to big for mine :(

I tried taking mine out, and broke it in the process, took ages to put it back in again.

My motor hasnt died as i can hear it working, but it doesnt do anything anymore.

so photos of a mk2 aerial?
Tony jinxy froude

Re: aerials

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Sounds like youve bought one of these aftermarket jobbies portrayed as a MK1 aerial to me. The mk1 aerial should have a large blue relay strapped to the motor & i white connector block with 6 wires leading from it, sorry i havent got a picture of one :( , Jinxy
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

yes thats it mate. thats the original that doesnt work in my car, and the one i bought is different. when i bought it i though "hmmmm where is the connector block, and this will be interesting wiring it", but then though its only a tenner.

balls!!!!
Lunarmatic

Post by Lunarmatic »

Does the one you've bought look like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Mod ... al&doy=3m4

It's the one people usually recommend when replacing the original mk1 aerial. You do need to do some wiring though, it's not plug and play.

My aerial doesn't go up and down but like you I can hear the motor working. It'd be good if there's a way to fix the original aerial although I suspect if it was easy someone would have found a way by now.

Andrew
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Basirk
Premium Member

Post by Basirk »

Hmmm. That bottom link goes to a copy of one of my webpages.

The original (with better pics and formatting) is here:

http://www.basirk.com/mr2/maintenance/aerial.html
jimi

Post by jimi »

Just to make up the set, here's a link to the article on my website CLICKY :lol:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

thumbs up for those maplin aerials about 5min job to fit. ive fitted them to all sorts of cars probably fitted 50plus and cant fault them for the money. the chrome top maybe a bit bling for some if i had to pick a fault it would only be that.
Paff

Post by Paff »

Yeah the maplins aerials are good, tis what I had on the V6. Accidentally bent that one tho.

Just bought a new car thats being stripped out and lightened tho and thats still got a working stock aerial :)
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Steve, you interested in flogging that stock aerial mate ?, let me know Nige needs one :thumleft: , cheers, Jinxy
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

I fixed my old st185 aerial with a new mast from mr T for £30. you could hear the motor working but the toothed belt had worn - don't know if you can do the same fix with the mk1?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”