I just got flashed by...

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

C50

I just got flashed by...

Post by C50 »

a speed camera :cry:

it was about 36mph when i looked at my speedo - i thought it was 40mph :cry:

I feel cheated as it was 4am in the morning and there's like 3 cameras along this stretch :( (Tis the road leading round cardiff castle btw)
SW20Paul

Re: I just got flashed by...

Post by SW20Paul »

Ive done that before exactly the same thing, I thought it was a 40 but it was a 30 #-o
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Just because it flashed, doesn't mean you'll be done. More often than not the Police can't afford to keep them filled with film/process the photos.

Wait 14 days and if you get nothing through the post you're ok :thumleft:
C50

Post by C50 »

i hope so keith :pray:

I can't believe what i did - i saw those lines and started accelerated slowly #-o :(
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Was driving down a Motorway the other day with a Garmin Sat Nav and it kept on Saying something like "Warning 50mph Speed trap ahead" and I thought WTF where was the 50mph sign so started slowing down with cars still flying past me then I saw a slip road comming onto the motorway saying 70mph and thought WTF so started speeding back up again!!!.. My guess is maybe a few weeks ago it had roadworks on so was made a temp 50mph zone and the sat nav still thinks its 50mph in that section...

Also was comming onto the motorway the other day and think I hit 80mph and noticed a police car parked on the bridge over the motorway near the slip road. Do police cars sit on bridges with cameras or are they just sitting and waiting for someone to fly past at stupid speeds? Surely they wont fine you if you hit 80mph comming onto the motorway as you have to build your speed up to get on the M Way and I was too busy making sure I wasnt going to pull over into someone anyway.. I do remember a car parked up about 15 - 20 meters from the police car so hopefully it was just stopped for that..
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

sorry to hear this mate but (i may be wrong)...one camera out of three has to be not actually taking anything...it still flashes for the shock factor but you won't actually get done, so you have a 33% chance of maybe getting away with it...

and also if you were just a few miles an hour out some forces don't bother charging you...give it 2 weeks and i'll keep my fingers crossed bud... :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

As above - give it 14 days from when you were flashed. It HAS to arrive in that time. If you do get a ticket there are still things you can check out - since you thought it was a 40mph there might be 30mph signs missing for instance. If the correct signage is missing, the ticket may be invalid...

T
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

I think the police need a 70% return rate on speeding offences so you can get away with it if your lucky.

Me and my bro got caught by a speed camera on the M4 heading for Wales.....

2 weeks later he got a letter from the Welsh police saying he had been caught speeding doing 58 in a 50 :roll:

But my bro took some advice and ignored the letter regarding the incident. Its been 3 years now and nothing has come of it :thumleft: I just hope he does't get stopped in the future and there is an outstanding fine to be paid! :pale:

Best of luck mate! I have dodged quite a few bullets with police cameras before :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

If there are no signs you have to assume it's 30mph.

You wont ever win by saying there's no signs saying it's not 30mph.

Is it your 1st speeding offence?
Alot of insurance companies dont care about the 1st one these days.
jont

Post by jont »

matt_mr2t wrote:If there are no signs you have to assume it's 30mph.

Depends on the street light interval. IIRC street lights less than 186m apart indicates 30mph, further apart than this indicates NSL. Unless signed otherwise. There aren't any specific regulations about how often repeaters should appear for other limits.
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

jont wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:If there are no signs you have to assume it's 30mph.

Depends on the street light interval. IIRC street lights less than 186m apart indicates 30mph, further apart than this indicates NSL. Unless signed otherwise. There aren't any specific regulations about how often repeaters should appear for other limits.

And if you're ever unsure, take a look at the signs at junctions leading onto the road.
Sponge Bob

Post by Sponge Bob »

Well... it's been at least 14 days - you in the clear? \:D/
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Sponge Bob wrote:Well... it's been at least 14 days - you in the clear? \:D/

errr...nearly :-k

must be looking good though chung... :eye:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

If he got flashed on the 30th, he could still get something in the post tomorrow....
T
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I got mine on the 14th day.

As for the street light things, do you get out and measure the distance between the street lights?

IMO if there are no signs and street lights, just go normal speed, which is 30mph.

Your in very little danger of getting cought speeding if your doing generally the lowest speed limit around.....
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's easy to sound a little santimonious in these circumstances. Truth is there are many wide clear and open roads with streetlamps that are legally probably a 30, but most people would not think twice about keeping to it driving at night or when it appears clear and open if signs are not there to remind them. That is why the speed camera is there most likely. :eye:

T
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I didnt mean to sound sanctamoneous but using the argument, I thought it was 40 because I didnt see signs would be laughed out of court.

If you dont see signs, always assume the limit is the lowest possible, not the highest.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I agree with you it would, and I'd never suggest it. :wink:

But there have been instances where previous 40 signs have caused confusion and people have been able to demonstrate that. It depends on how you want to whirl the wheel, but I've yet to have a NIP followed through to completion. :o

My point being we all know what we should be doing, but what we should be doing and what actually happens may not always follow. If you get caught, then time to look more closely.

T :eye:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I got flashed doing spot on 40mph in a 30mph zone. Was a 2-lane dual carriageway coming out of Birmingham so I presumed it would be 40mph but I was wrong. Was a daft limit IMO. I had the letter come after about 8 days and then the ticket came shortly after I returned that. That's 3 points back on my license (it became clean back in July last year). Very frustrating.
C50

Post by C50 »

no letter today.. :-k am i clear?

Return to “Driving Experiences”