[All] [Generic] BIG insurance problem =[

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

shabz

[All] [Generic] BIG insurance problem =[

Post by shabz »

My renewal is up in 1 month...I've just been doing some quotes online, its gone up by £600 since last year!! I've had 2 collisions in that time, neither of which I was at fault!

If I can't find anywhere that will insure me for £1600-£1700 at the very very most then I'll have to sell my car #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,) :-s :-s :pale: :pale: :oops: :oops:

It doesn't help that I'm just turning 22 but can anyone recommend where to look? I've tried the usual confused.com

:(
raptor95GTS

Re: [All] [Generic] BIG insurance problem =[

Post by raptor95GTS »

a-plan are pretty good
skipp123

Post by skipp123 »

sky insurance mate and they offer a nice discount through another website pm me if u want the addy :thumleft:
shabz

Post by shabz »

lol i wonder what that other website could be :p

I'm in contact with Ollie@sky as we speak

Will try A-Plan also, thanks :thumleft:
Mauler

Post by Mauler »

A sly tip is to get your MR2 insured as a classic.

It worked for me, Footman James insured my Rev1 GT turbo with a 6000 mile limit for £330. This also got me almost a grand's worth of windscreen from Toyota of Japan for £50 when it was pwnt by a firework casing 2 years ago!

The only catch is that you often have to be over 25 and the car needs to be at least 15 years old...

...which is why Rev1s are useful ;)
westham2306

Post by westham2306 »

adrian flux mate.. been cheapest for me for the last 3 years..
Lee @ 3S Service Centre

Post by Lee @ 3S Service Centre »

try bell direct www.bell.co.uk, put an older woman driver on as a named driver with you as the main driver.

This trick knocks off about £200.

they have always been cheap on performance cars for me
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

skipp123 wrote:sky insurance mate and they offer a nice discount through another website pm me if u want the addy :thumleft:

They do a nice discount through IMOC too, as do A-Plan.

I'm with A-Plan - always been very cheap for me, but then I am 34 and live in the middle of nowhere :lol:
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

thelegend wrote:try bell direct www.bell.co.uk, put an older woman driver on as a named driver with you as the main driver.

This trick knocks off about £200.

they have always been cheap on performance cars for me

3 years ago Bell Direct insured my Mx5 (dont laugh) and I got hit 3 times in 6 months, by women who could not see other cars on the road or in car parks lol. They put my premium up from £300 to over £1000!

I found direct line the cheapest by far, all mods listed apart from exaust! Cant complain about service/ cover at all!
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

an accident can happen on a daily basis but the art is to be aware of others drivers stupid moves/maneuvers before they make them(like incorrect use of roundabouts or being in someones blind spot)

even though the accidents may not have been directly your fault the insurance companies are looking after their profits and therefore classifying you as being in the higher risk category... :-k

the high quotes are a mixture of covering their own costs or putting you off from doing business with them...

keep us updated on your best quote though as for interest, and "yes" it does suck that your premium is going mad due to other people driving improperly... :evil:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Adrian Flux :thumleft:

Im 21, 1 years NCB lots of mods and its only £1089 :mrgreen:
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Adrian Flux

Im 21, 1 years NCB lots of mods and its only £1089

:-k hmm.....

i was quoted £800 on my rev3 with 1yrs no claims when i was 21 by adrian flux, problem was when i got the paper work it wasnt insured as an import or even a turbo! it was only after listening to the record of the phone call betweeen my self and the salesman, they gave me my money back! ](*,)

even after repeatedly confirming it on the phone the car was still insured incorrectly, might be worth double checkin the paperwork?

also this was fully comp, are you 3rd party?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

mattymr2 wrote:
Adrian Flux

Im 21, 1 years NCB lots of mods and its only £1089

:-k hmm.....

i was quoted £800 on my rev3 with 1yrs no claims when i was 21 by adrian flux, problem was when i got the paper work it wasnt insured as an import or even a turbo! it was only after listening to the record of the phone call betweeen my self and the salesman, they gave me my money back! ](*,)

even after repeatedly confirming it on the phone the car was still insured incorrectly, might be worth double checkin the paperwork?

also this was fully comp, are you 3rd party?

3rd Party Fire and Theft, they said I was too young for Fully Comp due to the car.

My Paperwork says Japanese Import and its down as an MR2 GT-S which is what the MR2 Turbo is officially called (well that and GT)

Also Im sure I have about 20 mods listed as well and about 5 of them are for Turbo cars only
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

cool m8 sounds like you got a good deal :clap:
i struggled vwith mine because its a t-bar aswell
](*,)
to any one plannin on moddin your car dont go with elephant!! :pale:
mark239

Post by mark239 »

greenlight.co.uk

quinn-direct.co.uk
gnzyza

Post by gnzyza »

If its a non-fault claim- settled by third party then it has no effect on the premium. must be some other factor, or if its your renewal price thats gone up it could be coz they haven't recovered the cost from the TP insurance yet- which means it goes against you until settled.
STU13 B

Post by STU13 B »

Im with lancaster, 22 years old, paying £989 fc, also live in the middle of know where.

Renewal is in june so will be having a hunt around 2 try and get it cheeper!
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

Try Tesco :mrgreen:

I'm with Tesco, it is £500 fully comp on my Rev 3 turbo, I'm 23 with 3 years no claims. You need to phone them for a quote if it's an import though, but I've always been happy with them :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

mattymr2 wrote:
to any one plannin on moddin your car dont go with elephant!! :pale:

LOL I agree. Elephant dont even know what mods are :oldtongue: . I went to get a quote, told them it had a uprated intercooler and they didnt even know what a intercooler was. Was put on hold for 5 mins while he went to find out and the people he asked didnt even know!!! Then they said they cant insure cars that have dump valves fitted!!! WTF :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!!???
sawicki

Post by sawicki »

im with sky insurance £980 on my rev 3 turbo with all mods declared im only 20. elephant wanted £1500 without mods :shock:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”