mr2 mk1 eating fuel

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andydis

mr2 mk1 eating fuel

Post by andydis »

I went to notttingham from Leicester ( 30 so miles)
4 junctions up the m1 and my mr1 mk1 eating al least
1/3 a tank of fuel, it seems to be just eating fuel.
and thats taking it quite steady.

I seem to get 176miles out of a full tank ( 30 quid)

is this about right, what does every1 else get?
flippin'eck

Re: mr2 mk1 eating fuel

Post by flippin'eck »

Mine started drinking it recently & it turned out to be the front left brake caliper sticking on.

Kwikfit put a new caliper on, cleaned up the other 3 & bled the system up for £70, would have done it myself but that price didn't seem too bad all-in.

Drinks tons less fuel now.

Are any of your wheels getting very hot? That might indicate it's brakes with you too
Tonester

Post by Tonester »

well i get about 200ish to my full tank (about 35 quids worth)
but theres suposibly 43 liters to the tank...or so ive heard so :P
and i drive pretty conservative, normally change gears at 4k revs traffic dependant :O
so 30mpg aint bad for a 22 year old car.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

mine is drinking fuel because my manifold to downpipe is leaking really badly.

before that i managed 230miles on 30 quid
Tonester

Post by Tonester »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:mine is drinking fuel because my manifold to downpipe is leaking really badly.

before that i managed 230miles on 30 quid

how slow do you drive lol...
or am i just driving fast :O
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

when i had 230 i was doing about 60 average.

when ive topped out ive had 150 to a tank, but since my suspension and steering has been xxxxx, im getting around 200 lol
GhostCav

Post by GhostCav »

I havent even looked at how much fuel mine uses, it seems good. But then again my other vehicle is a 4 litre petrol Jeep Wrangler with 35" tyres so I guess anythings better than that, except maybe a 747. :D
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

You think thats bad, mine only returns 80-85 miles on £20. Thats only about 20mpg, i do only drive in town but still it never use to be that bad.

My manifolds leaking too, didnt think that would have much effect. I plan to strip the inlet and injectors down in the summer and give them a good clean.
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Tonester wrote:well i get about 200ish to my full tank (about 35 quids worth)
and i drive pretty conservative, normally change gears at 4k revs traffic dependant :O

You think that's conservative? I shift even before 3k most of the time. The Owner's manual lists the minimum speed you "should" ever do in gears and I never go lower than that. It is pretty low though, 50ish kmh for 4th gear (30mph).

No point in wasting fuel when you're stuck in traffic or the city :)

I get around 400km out of a full tank (250 miles). But I try to never take it out in rush hour. I could probably get 450 if I behave a bit but that's not fun.
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

check your 02 sensor (if your guy's had them?), if thats faulty or not working the car will run rich.

plus many other variables or course which may add to heavy fuel useage.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

feral4mr2 wrote:check your 02 sensor (if your guy's had them?), if thats faulty or not working the car will run rich.

plus many other variables or course which may add to heavy fuel useage.

standard UK spec cars were never fitted with O2 sensors
feral4mr2

Post by feral4mr2 »

^^^ well there you go. :oops:

could be other things, cold start injector leaking, cold start injector timer doobie not working right. timing, dragging brakes like mentioned, wind resistence more than the day before...
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

feral4mr2 wrote:^^^ well there you go. :oops:

could be other things, cold start injector leaking, cold start injector timer doobie not working right. timing, dragging brakes like mentioned, wind resistence more than the day before...

dragging brakes would be most likely, something else you don't suffer from is heavily salted roads here in the winter, kills MK1's rapidly :cry:
System-G

Post by System-G »

It is pretty bad...

My track car when being used on the road used to return about 220 miles per tank.

On track though... Less than 100 miles to a tank :mrgreen:

Have no idea what our SC is doing as it still reads in Kilos..
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Ive disconnected my cold start injector and it makes no difference at all, the car still starts first time every time. I need to check if its leaking along with my injectors as i do get popping and the odd flame out my exhaust even though the car is running spot on at 121bhp.
Tonester

Post by Tonester »

BIGBOBO wrote:
Tonester wrote:well i get about 200ish to my full tank (about 35 quids worth)

You think that's conservative? I shift even before 3k most of the time. The Owner's manual lists the minimum speed you "should" ever do in gears and I never go lower than that. It is pretty low though, 50ish kmh for 4th gear (30mph).

No point in wasting fuel when you're stuck in traffic or the city :)

I get around 400km out of a full tank (250 miles). But I try to never take it out in rush hour. I could probably get 450 if I behave a bit but that's not fun.

im normally in 4th throughout town, but as soon as your on the A roads, i dont see the point in accelerating slower than a lorry.
and im only 19, so unlike 90% of the other people my age i drive very conservative lol.[/u]
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I chucked £29 in on saturday night, and ive got up to 92 miles and just over 3/4 mark. I am watching how much mine does this week, as my manifold is getting worse n worse.

I need someone to remove it for me, take out the stripped/bu88ered stud and put it back in...(not going to a garage).

Hopefully should get 200 miles this week.

I did once have 276 miles on a tank, but that was driving incredibly slowly, and running out of fuel at the same time lol.
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

If its drinking fuel really badly, is it possible the cold start injector is running continuously and not switching off? I dont know how they are wired, so its just a guess really.

Last week on a run backwards and forward to cov and then around the city for a while I managed about 250 miles on a tank full and the light hadnt quite come on (which I make somewhere about 37mpg).

The fuel gauge seems to read 3/4 - full for ages then plummets quickly to about 1/3.

David
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

I was dead chuffed, my new Mk1 made 33mpg in mixed, spirited driving over it's first tank. Not bad for a car with 114K miles.

It also has every fill up, ever, since it's first at 167 miles documented, so I can trace it's efficiency over the last 20 years. This made me happy because a) it proves that I'm not the only person sad enough to work this out, and b) it gives me an excuse to carry on. I wouldn't want to break 20 years of tradition now, would I?? :oops: :wink:
BIGBOBO

Post by BIGBOBO »

Now that were talking about fuel.

When filling up the tank, is it normal that you have to squeeze the handle verry gently? If I press it like I would with an other car it would just "click" and stop.

My guess is that since the fuel tank is in the middle the fuel doesn't runs into it quickly enough and the pump thinks it's full.???

Or am I just using a dodgey pump?

Minor annoyance but it takes a while to fill it up.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”