[Mk2] [Turbo] Are paddle clutches quite vocal?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SWMark

[Mk2] [Turbo] Are paddle clutches quite vocal?

Post by SWMark »

Hey guys

When i had my 6puk paddle fitted and supplied by 3S service centre i could hear like a faint sort of high pitched squeal when engaging the clutch in first. I rang James and he said its perfectly normal, my friend doesnt get it on his Saph with a paddle. I wondered if maybe it was box but ive just had a completely rebuilt box installed and the sound and characteristics of the sound are identical. Everything works flawlessly its just the noise.

Mark
Cliff

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Are paddle clutches quite vocal?

Post by Cliff »

My OS Giken Twin Plate rattles like a bag of tools when engaged and when in gear on the motorway you can hear it rattle away...

If you google clutch noise then you will see that everyone has the same problem.

Makes normal mechanics think your clutch bearing is gone and makes people not in the know think your car is broken... 8-[
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Oh and for the record..

I love the Noise!! :twisted:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

I have a Twin plate clutch and when you press the clutch pedal in it rattles like mad but once you let go or put it into gear the noise goes away.

Im guessing this is normal then?

Crap thing is your sitting at some lights with a nice car and the clutch down getting ready to shoot off and its making that rattle like a old banger or something :lol: :lol: (Untill you turn into a blur as you shoot off :twisted: :twisted: hehe )
Spacey

Post by Spacey »

Yeah my 6 paddle clutch rattles a tiny bit. It's not that noticeable really but it is there.

James knows his stuff :thumleft:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Youtube a purpose made Jap drag car and listen to the rattle mate...

Its the only thing that put my mind at ease when I first heard it...
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

cliff, whats ur os Giken like to drive with? -slipability/streetability etc.. as i am thinking of going for this clutch myself???
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Twin plate clutches will more or less always rattle, as they have two plates :lol:

A single plate paddle clutch shouldn't make any real noise though, the 3 that I had on my previous Celicas never made any noise.....
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

when you think of it, when you are fitting a performance clutch its designed for performance so there not realy that bothered about noise as long as the performance is good.

My twin plate clutch goes a bit quieter once its warmed up a little (guessing its because it will expand slightly when warm making the plates closer together stopping them rattling as much).
royashmr2

Post by royashmr2 »

My HKS twin rattles. I paid a lot of money for my clutch and was quite upset as I thought it was faulty. Now I've grown to love the noise. :evil:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Once you've got used to the noise, it's brilliant.

Easily to slip. Not "On" or "Off" like other clutches and only as heavy as the original hydraulic Toyota clutch.

Great to launch... :twisted:

Cheers
SWMark

Post by SWMark »

Its a single plate 6 puk, it just whines when engaging first thats it, James at 3S(who fitted it) said that was normal.

Mark :?

Return to “Mechanical”