Me V's Jag Cabriolet (or was it?)

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Azz

Me V's Jag Cabriolet (or was it?)

Post by Azz »

Well i am sat at the lights waiting to get on the motorway, and there is a Jag sat in front of me.

The Jag starts revving so i thought fair play, if he goes i will to, he obviously wants to.

The light change and he goes for it but not as fast as i thought, so i stayed with it until we went round the corner of the slip road then he floored it while i was looking in my mirror, i spotted him and floored it was well.

He went right to the 3rd lane with his foot planted to the floor, my second turbo kicked in, i moved into the 3rd lane looked around and we was alone back and front, i surged up to him i kept going and forced him out the way

His foot still planed as i pass him he looks at me bewildered, as i keep going i could hear his engine screaming as i pull away, we will leave speeds out of this but I'm in 5th and high up in the Revs [-X My car sounded like a Jet engine 8)

So i utterly destroyed it so i am happy, it looked expensive so i am even happier :mrgreen: , so i slow down as cars are coming up. I am doing 75/80 in the 3rd lane as he come to the back of me and i said to my Mrs
"Urm you know that Jag i just wasted"
"Yeah"
"Err its not a Jag"
"What is it then"
"Well the Badge on the Bonnet makes it an Aston Martin"
"Oh is that bad"
"Err i bet it cost a bit, maybe that's why he looked so unimpressed"

I know i should have known the difference :oops: but i though it was one of them new Jags as i had never seen an Aston that looked like that.

Text my mate and described it and a quick Google from his thoughts it turned out to be an 1997 Aston Martin DB7 which would explain why i dispatched it so easily.
SWMark

Re: Me V's Jag Cabriolet (or was it?)

Post by SWMark »

1997 DB-7 has identical 0-100 stats to the Type-R Rex, faster than a UK though, but im guessing your RX ist stock?
Azz

Post by Azz »

1997 DB-7 has identical 0-100 stats to the Type-R Rex, faster than a UK though, but im guessing your RX ist stock?

Correct mine is not stock and its also not a Type-R [-X :mrgreen: its a Type-RS and a 1996 Model so Its more powerful and lighter with better cooling than the Type-R.

1996+ Type-RS Stats are 0-62 in 4.9s dead on, the 1996+ Type-R is 5.2s. Pre 1996 Type-R is about 6.0s.

The Aston i think had a 0-62 stat of 6.2s IIRC

People Always rule the Stats of the Rex to what ever come up first on the internet (Usually the 1992 Type-R) but this is how many RX7's there are all with different stats...

Most of these have a Pre and Post 1996 Version
Type-R
Type-R Bathurst-X
Type-RB
Type-RB Bathurst-R
Type-RS Mine
Type RS-R limited edition
Type-RZ 1st Edition
Type-RZ 2nd Edition
Spirit R Type-A Very Very Rare ££££££ (Top of the RX7 range) only 150 ever made!!!
Spirit R Type-B Very Rare ££££££
Spirit R Type-C Rare ££££££

Not as simple as people first think when looking at a Rex :-k :mrgreen:
Last edited by Azz on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Either way, the RX7 is a fantastic car

http://217.34.36.63/Galleries/Tongues/RX7/RX7.htm

Click the big efini

A friend owned the car and it was simply scary as hell. He sold after it started to hesitate while the 2nd turbo came into play. It's been written off apparently. The darn exhaust could be heard from down the street

He took the pics I made the page (Very, very long time ago. The specs look a bit suss now but it literally threw you into the seat)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Is the DB7 a V8 like the put in Jags?

IE old.

Still, nice to show some arrogant xxxx up for what he is.
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

matt_mr2t wrote:Is the DB7 a V8 like the put in Jags?

No, a super charged straight 6.

I'd have the DB7 everytime, it has a sense of occasion that a jap car could never have :)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

That's a fair point but the guy clearly thought because it was an Aston Martin it must be faster which it wasnt.

IIRC the chassis is the same as an old XJS ?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

matt_mr2t wrote:IIRC the chassis is the same as an old XJS ?

XK8 IIRC it used the platform first, then the XK8.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Just found this on google.

Hi,

The DB7 6 cyl (1994-1999) is build on a XJS platform, sharing front and rear suspension witch is modified.under the dasboard you see an XJS and the engine is a AJ6 3.2 from jaguar with different pistons (Cossworth, oil cooled) and a compressor on it giving it 340 Bhp instead of 202 in the Jaguar.
The DB7 V12 is still the XJS platform but with a complete new build V12 Cossworth engine with no Jaguar parts on it.
The 6 cyl makes it the most easy (???) AM to have at the lowest (????) cost ever.
A very good website is www.astonmartins.com

The DB7 and XK8 are both based on the XJS which started life in the 70's I think?

Return to “Driving Experiences”