[Mk2] [Turbo] Which spoiler gives the most downforce?? Rev 1/2, rev3/4 or rev 5

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2Crooky

[Mk2] [Turbo] Which spoiler gives the most downforce?? Rev 1/2, rev3/4 or rev 5

Post by 2Crooky »

Just wondering if any of you guys know which rear spoiler on the mr2 gives the most downforce???

I am looking at a carbon bootlid and a spoiler. Whichever spoiler gives more downforce, i will have it made up in carbon to go on the car.

Does anyone know if you need a side exit exhaust to be able to accomodate the madpsi rear diffuser?? Or it is designed to work with single exit exhaust systems??

Cheers for any help :thumleft:

Alex
johnthedogg

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Which spoiler gives the most downforce?? Rev 1/2, rev3/4 or rev 5

Post by johnthedogg »

im no expert but i would've thought the combat spoiler one would've given the most downforce due to its large surface area...but like i said im no expert!
Si_Crewe

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Which spoiler gives the most downforce?? Rev 1/2, rev3/4 or rev 5

Post by Si_Crewe »

I don't think any of them produce downforce.

I thought the idea of a spoiler was to break up the air travelling over the roof and stop it creating eddy currents which do odd things to the handling.
In fact, I'm not sure any spoiler actually generates genuine downforce unless the sectional shape of the spoiler is an inverted wingform.

Also, you don't get any meaningful levels of downforce at anything less that about 70mph.
A spoiler won't help you on roundabouts.

I think the rev 1 spoiler was originally designed to help stabilise the car in crosswinds as well.
Didn't work though, given that they fettled little spoilers onto the front wheelarches as well from rev4 (?) onwards.

If any of the stock spoilers produce downforce it'll be the rev5 one cos you can adjust the wing angle.
The other 2 are pretty-much flat.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Si_Crewe wrote:
I think the rev 1 spoiler was originally designed to help stabilise the car in crosswinds as well.
Didn't work though, given that they fettled little spoilers onto the front wheelarches as well from rev4 (?) onwards.

Those aren't there for crosswinds they're supposed to reduce that light floaty feeling at high speed.

I cant see any of the stock ones producing enough to make a difference unless your seriously tanking it mate. I'd have thought getting a front lip, set of canards, lower skirts and getting the car as close to the floor as possible is going to be more beneficial than a rear wing Alex. :thumleft:

Might be worth speaking to Jonb mate :thumleft:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Personally I would run spoiler less If given the choice of any of the OEM stock aero wing choices. Think of aerodynamics like a boat cutting through water the most effect Is created from the front hence why many ships have that torpedo shaped device ahead of the front to cut or break the water ahead. A Border bumper Is a good start and well shaped to cut the air ahead then as Matt above mentions cannards.The next area of attack Is the sides equally as Important as the front along with a low centre of gravity to create a vacuum chassis to road and with the low side skirt too.The underbody design and rear under diffuser are another location for opportunity to create more down force pressure.

The front radiator and front tyres are areas of drag and the overall design of the body shell will determine the drag coefficient too. Lighter weight body en panels will contribute to the cause too.Finally the rear wing needs to be above the roof to attack the clean air and create much poundage of down force pressure an aero wing acts as an aero plane wing but In reverse so rather than lifting It pushes down. Ideally the aero wing wants to be high and as far back past the rear bumper and above the roof height. I think I have found a happy compromise with maximising aero dynamics with a small budget and available parts Including a low centre of gravity set low on tein ha, coilovers.JonB,and Simon, skinthespin are best on this topic though I am just the driver! :lol: :twisted: :mrgreen:

2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Cheers guys!!

But if i am looking for a track car setup, is it really wise o have no rear spoiler and nothing to push the back of the car down in the bends????

I don't want sideskirts as that is just adding weight to the car. It sits really low now its on 16s anyhoo......

alex
RichardPON

Post by RichardPON »

2Crooky wrote:Cheers guys!!

But if i am looking for a track car setup, is it really wise o have no rear spoiler and nothing to push the back of the car down in the bends????

If you are talking about a track car setup, then I presume you will be running slicks, or as close to clicks as possible.

If that is the case, then increasing grip through downforce might be worth looking at.

For a road car on road tyres, it's utterly pointless.
MR2_RICH

Post by MR2_RICH »

The spoilers were designed for balance as far as I know in a similar way the Audi TT works. When the TT was originally launched it kept flying off the road at high speed due to the shape of the car and the waythe air comes off the back.

For this reason if your going to be driving quickly then keep the spoiler. Toyota did not spend a lot of money designing body parts for no reason.

Agree with RichardPON get some sticky tyres and try a few different options. Don't forget though to big and you will create drag = lower speed down the straight.

Good luck
Harry

Post by Harry »

Jonb; tested both on track spoilerless, and with his high level GT Carbon Fibre Aero Wing,and found under heavy braking the back end was far more stable.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

Harry wrote:Jonb; tested both on track spoilerless, and with his high level GT Carbon Fibre Aero Wing,and found under heavy braking the back end was far more stable.

makes perfect sense!! and for further proof -look at rally cars with there chunky-normas spoilers!!
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good point Ryan.I have only road tested so far OEM rev 3,rev 5,and found the rookie racing Japan,better than both OEM units.But the GT Carbon unit the best.Will give feedback after a track test In spring though.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

FWIW - I had no problems on track with the backend feeling less secure breaking at high speeds and the standard Rev2 spoiler tracks including the 'ring. Even Rev2s on road legal slicks didn't have problems.

If you are really feeling the rear end getting loose under braking I'd look elsewhere - suspension alignment, tyre pressures, Brake pad choice, calliper condition/effectiveness.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”