Got a week off work....

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GhostCav

Got a week off work....

Post by GhostCav »

So it's project time, don't know how much I will get done due to weather (Brrrrrrr!) & the missus sorting job's out for me to do. :(

Anyway so far have replaced rear disc's, pads & calipers. Happy now I have rear brakes.

Next up was the radiator, the old one was a tad tired.....
Plus it actually called it a day on my way home from work last week. Thanks to Andrew (DNOS808) off here I have a nice shiny one fitted now, need to strip rust off top brackets & repaint yet....

Next up is replacement of both front wings, plus bumper bar,cheek valance plates(?) & valance spoiler (rather mangled by a badger a while back).

Old wings have both gone on the front, valance spoiler has actually been raised up to cover the lack of metal on the drivers side.....

Andrew again has supplied most of the parts, did need to get a driverside wing from MR T though. :-#
A flame red MR2 must have died to save a Mica blue one :thumleft: .....

Spent today rubbing the parts down & now they are primed ready for painting. My neighbour is doing this, I know it wont match that well (19 year old paint + the fact Mica blue seems a pig to match anyway) But it will do until I get a full respray & that will be after the car's an SC or 1.5.

Or the Tamiya version of that shot \:D/

Also on the list to do this week (If I get time).
-Full superflex bush kit.
-Remove uncaptive nut for front ARB mount & refit ARB bracket somehow.
-Hopefully have SC lights on the way soon, maybe I will get to fit them before I go back to work.
-Fit secondhand drivers door already in Mica blue to replace my rusty one.
-Tarting things up underneath the car with hammerite smooth.

+ No doublt a few other jobs.
Tonester

Re: Got a week off work....

Post by Tonester »

looks like youve got your hands full :O
have fun.

when i sprayed my new wing, the colour didnt match, dosnt look out of place untill you go close up, and mine is white ha ha.
coverco

Post by coverco »

I did my front end last year, be aware that the bolts connecting the bumper skin to the front wings can be a pig, I ground of my wings to get at them, and then had to grind them off too :D

As to the captive nut problem on your ARB read the following

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48151

Also I would recommend POR15 instead of hammerite, it lasts much longer and actually adds some strength try

http://www.holden.co.uk/

or http://www.frost.co.uk/default.asp
GhostCav

Post by GhostCav »

coverco wrote:
As to the captive nut problem on your ARB read the following

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=48151

I had a look at that idea, has anyone tried this on an ARB bracket yet, if so what size is that I'm looking for?

Cheers for the tips, I have a new set of strips to replace all the rusty one's I'm expecting to find under there. I think I'm going to have fun. :neutral:
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Glad to see someone making use of their week off :lol: , this is my 3rd week off & ive been doing the engine, & just repaired Pete Kytes ( Pkmr2 ) SC conversion recently documented by Paul woods, he had a little rot in the rear sill returns, but all good now :thumleft: , so its back to my engine detailing now & hopfully in the next week or so she will be finished \:D/ .
Just a tip for you, if you are going to fit new bushes make sure you get new bolts from Toyota if you can afford them, they are fairly expensive but it will make the job 100 times easier & im 90% sure you wont get the rear trailing arm bolts off without hacksawing them to get the arms off anyway, good luck & keep at it :thumleft: , Jinxy
DNOS808

Mk1 rebuild

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi

It is great to see the parts that you got off me being used rather than providing a home for the spiders in my barn.

Have you taken the bumper and wings off yours yet? I think I may have remembered where my stash of front indicator light units are. If you find that you need one (they tend to not come off in one piece) give me a call.

I like your Tamia picture. I bet a 1:1 scale MR2 would be a great kit - imagine the size of the box! The instruction manual might be a bit heavy though.

When you re assemble your car remember to have a tube of copper grease to hand an treat all threads. If only Toyota had done that when they made them - disassembly would be easy.

Regards
Andrew
GhostCav

Post by GhostCav »

Hi Andrew, the parts I got from you are almost ready to go on now. Next door neighbour who is doing the spraying was ill the middle of the week so has delayed things a bit. Now everything is painted bar the one wing, it reacted somehow to the last coat of paint. It's just being finished off as I write this.
Started stripping the car down this afternoon at 3pm, was all done by 5:30. \:D/ Everything came off fine, well except the bottom rear bolt on the wing. Both snapped off so will have to drill & tap those tomorrow. Still cant believe I didnt have any other snapped bolts, was very lucky. Even the indicator/side lights came off easy, the nuts actually would almost turn by hand! But that may be as the car has had a replacement bumper bar before.
However the driveway looks like the exxon valdese disaster now with WD40 everywhere after basically just coating the entire car with it. \:D/

Anyway a few pics from this arvo....

With the valance removed the rust & badger damage from last year shows up easier. :eye:

The previously replaced bumper bar, now a tad rusty.

Half way done, less rust around than I was expecting but I will be coating the lot in underbody seal tomorrow.

Just passenger side left to do.

Done, time for tea. :thumleft:
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

I like the hammer laying randomly in front of the car LOL
010on1986

Post by 010on1986 »

I would paint your bumper bar with waxoyl.

When putting the bumber cover back on, where it attaches with small nuts to the front under the bonnet, after you have secured it, run a bead of silicon down between the panel and the bumper cover. the water that runs off the bonnet can't now go down through the now filled gap between the bumper cover and front panel, and the bumper bar does not have so much water on it or in its foam insert, and should last alot longer. :thumleft:
DNOS808

Mk1 rebuild

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi
The rebuild looks like it is going great! Looking at the pictures brings back memories of doing the same jobs on mine. It sounds like you have had a bit if luck with the screws, only two sheared off ones is good going. You will find that the reassembly will go pretty smoothly since the parts made by Toyota fit really well. The finished result will be brilliant. It is always satisfying remving rusted out parts and replacing them with freshly painted parts.
Regards
Andrew
GhostCav

Post by GhostCav »

It actually went back together the day after I stripped it, by sunday evening it was back on the road. Just havent got around to taking any pics of it yet as back to work.

I will have a look at sealing under the bumper skin as everythings newly fitted it shouldnt take long to do. I undersealed all under the arches & on the inner wing area's, infact everywhere I could get to. Then have of course replaced the inner arch liners after cleaning any muck out of them.

I have to say the fit of the parts is second to none, I've never had a vehicle that was so easy to line eveything up on before, another good point to the Mk1. :thumleft:
Happy with the front end now, paint is slightly off in daylight & rather visable under streetlamps but I wasnt holding out for a good match on what seems an awkward colour especially after 19 years of fade. Besides if I get the car up to how I want it then I think a full respray would be in order.

Next job the rear arches!! 8-[
DNOS808

Mk1 rebuild

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi
Back on the road allready- that is impressively fast work! It is great refitting Toyota parts they go on with so little hassle. Did the bumper bar go on ok or did it need any fettling?
Regards
Andrew

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”