Focus ST

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

wes

Re: Focus ST

Post by wes »

I just find it funny that a 2.5 turbo only has 240bhp and the mr2s 2.0 turbo isn't that far behind from 15 years ago, it's a disgrace to be honest

its a restricted engine because anymore power and all it would do is understeer like all the rest of front wheel drive cars, the reason why theyve put a 2.5 in is because it its got a bucket load of torque
plus why is it that all the reviews say it is the best front wheel drive on the market
this engine can be be run with double the power and still be reliable
the reason why its so heavy is because of all the safety stuff to make it a ncap 5 star award winner
scottish_mr2

Post by scottish_mr2 »

wes wrote:
I just find it funny that a 2.5 turbo only has 240bhp and the mr2s 2.0 turbo isn't that far behind from 15 years ago, it's a disgrace to be honest

its a restricted engine because anymore power and all it would do is understeer like all the rest of front wheel drive cars, the reason why theyve put a 2.5 in is because it its got a bucket load of torque
plus why is it that all the reviews say it is the best front wheel drive on the market
the reason why its so heavy is because of all the safety stuff to make it a ncap 5 star award winner

sorry mate - that's b0ll0cks!! - the engine can't be run on double standard figures on standard internals.. maximum on standard internals is 330/350 bhp.. when they are mapped they also have to restrict boost in the lower RPM to avoid bent rods which is a notorious problem for T5 engines.. and also leads to sapping power and poorer off the line starts - once rolling and traction is found it's a different matter though..

Ford could have had a really good go with the Focus ST (more along the lines of the Focus RS) and stuck the 300 bhp 2.5 engine with a KKK turbocharger in from the S60R - but decided as usual to cut costs and lift the cheaper option T5.. don't get me wrong - it's not a bad car/engine - but you can't really compare them with a true sports car like the MR2 turbo.. they are definately more of a grand tourer.. and FWIW the best handling FWD car is the Honda ITR DC2 or DC5..
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

scottish_mr2 wrote:
wes wrote:

sorry mate - that's b0ll0cks!! - the engine can't be run on double standard figures on standard internals.. maximum on standard internals is 330/350 bhp.. when they are mapped they also have to restrict boost in the lower RPM to avoid bent rods which is a notorious problem for T5 engines.. and also leads to sapping power and poorer off the line starts - once rolling and traction is found it's a different matter though..

Ford could have had a really good go with the Focus ST (more along the lines of the Focus RS) and stuck the 300 bhp 2.5 engine with a KKK turbocharger in from the S60R - but decided as usual to cut costs and lift the cheaper option T5.. don't get me wrong - it's not a bad car/engine - but you can't really compare them with a true sports car like the MR2 turbo.. they are definately more of a grand tourer.. and FWIW the best handling FWD car is the Honda ITR DC2 or DC5..

amen..
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Wouldn't say a focus ST/RS, civic type r, golf GTi are sports cars....they are all hot hatches. As a result you can't really compare an MR2 turbo to a focus ST as they have come from and are made for different markets - MR2 was made to be a sports car hence 2 seats :-)
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chr15py wrote:Wouldn't say a focus ST/RS, civic type r, golf GTi are sports cars....they are all hot hatches. As a result you can't really compare an MR2 turbo to a focus ST as they have come from and are made for different markets - MR2 was made to be a sports car hence 2 seats :-)
Chris

Have always seen the MK2 as more of a tourer than a proper sports car. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

wes wrote:
its a restricted engine because anymore power and all it would do is understeer like all the rest of front wheel drive cars

Not all FWD cars understeer. Would say the Teg is much more tail happy than the 2 in all honesty. :tongue:
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Lauren wrote:
Chr15py wrote:Wouldn't say a focus ST/RS, civic type r, golf GTi are sports cars....they are all hot hatches. As a result you can't really compare an MR2 turbo to a focus ST as they have come from and are made for different markets - MR2 was made to be a sports car hence 2 seats :-)
Chris

Have always seen the MK2 as more of a tourer than a proper sports car. :tongue:

That's what I'd say if I couldn't handle a real sports car :-P
Chris
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chr15py wrote:
Chris

GLOL! Touche!
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Lauren wrote:
Chr15py wrote:
Chris

GLOL! Touche!

:lol:
Azz

Post by Azz »

[-X
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Out of interst, what MR2 do you find less tail happy than the Teg Lauren?

I've only ever been in my mk2 but the reports are all the same, way too much over steer on them. I know from experience that mine likes to go backwards.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:Out of interst, what MR2 do you find less tail happy than the Teg Lauren?

I've only ever been in my mk2 but the reports are all the same, way too much over steer on them. I know from experience that mine likes to go backwards.

Any MR2. I've driven all variants.

The MR2 does understeer a fair bit, the Teg doesn't unless you drive it like a buffoon.

I don't think its a case of way too much oversteer with mk2s, its more a lack of progression ie, a lack of balance to some extent. Which is an inherent problem with having so much weight behind you and the limitations of the chassis.

The MR2 is more likely to bite you, the Teg never really does.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Ah, I thought you were suggesting the Teg oversteers more than the 2 lol.

Never really experienced understeer in mine but I never really push it enough.
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

Every ST I come across apart from the one being used as an unmarked copper car in west sussex seems to be being driven by a chav in serious debt a little rich kid or a 45 year old bloke going through a midlife crisis.

Either way ST = Super xxxx driver.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

matt_mr2t wrote:Ah, I thought you were suggesting the Teg oversteers more than the 2 lol.

Never really experienced understeer in mine but I never really push it enough.

It does oversteer more than the mr2, on turn-in.

Obviously you don't get power oversteer, but thats only half the story.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Tiny wrote:Every ST I come across apart from the one being used as an unmarked copper car in west sussex seems to be being driven by a chav in serious debt a little rich kid or a 45 year old bloke going through a midlife crisis.

Either way ST = Super twit driver.

All Mr2s are driven by hairdressers.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

Lauren wrote:
Tiny wrote:Every ST I come across apart from the one being used as an unmarked copper car in west sussex seems to be being driven by a chav in serious debt a little rich kid or a 45 year old bloke going through a midlife crisis.

Either way ST = Super twit driver.

All Mr2s are driven by hairdressers.

OUCH!!!! Saucer of milk for the teg driver miles behind the toyota mr2 in front ;-)
Chris
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Chr15py wrote:
OUCH!!!! Saucer of milk for the teg driver miles behind the toyota mr2 in front ;-)
Chris

LOL!

Until you encounter something called a bend, honey. :tongue:
mattymr2

Post by mattymr2 »

Lauren wrote:
Chr15py wrote:
Chris

LOL!

Until you encounter something called a bend, honey. :tongue:

well that depends if its a male or female driving doesnt it? :wink:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

mattymr2 wrote:

well that depends if its a male or female driving doesnt it? :wink:

It does?

So are you saying that men can't go round bends? :tongue: