SLK350 V MR2 turbo

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

Stef Derner

SLK350 V MR2 turbo

Post by Stef Derner »

Well guys, not quite what you might think. We took an 07 Merc 350SLK out for a test drive today and were well impressed. Nice refined car, not as raw and exciting as the turbo, but still quick enough, much nicer on the motorway, yet still handy in the twisties.

155mph and 0-60 in 5.5, proper convertible too.

Thinking about selling the turbo and my R6 and getting one of these babies.

Anyone here have any experience of them?
GeoffC320

Re: SLK350 V MR2 turbo

Post by GeoffC320 »

Never tried the R171 SLK but swapped my Rev 3 turbo for a 230 SLK (original shape) just under 2 years ago.

Pretty underrated cars IMO. Not the last word in sportiness but much better than many would have you think. Interior has a quality feel the likes of the '2 just can't match. LOVE the roof too!

I would imagine the current model with more power would be a really nice car, yes I do miss my '2 but not as much as I used to, that's for sure. :-k
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

unless you have other bikes keep the R6.
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Friend of mine has got one - engine sounds fantastic and it punts along at a fair pace. But, its really not to my taste tbh, for a start there's that dreadful auto box, fine around town etc but it just seems to be like the awful auto's of old - not a patch on a DSG box, not sure if there is an option for similar on a merc. Also - look at the price and think what else you could buy for the money, they're really not cheap at all!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

You can't compare the old shaped 230 to the new ones (if that's what you're doing?)

I had an old SLK230 compressor - the most dreadful car to drive I've ever had. What's that you say? Vague steering? Vaguer than a 90 yr old with alzeimers. God it was so rubbish!!

Haven't driven the new ones, but would not be at all surprised if you had your head turned, lovely interior, comfort, ease of being a convertible...also a sign of old age mind. :mrgreen:

If you're looking at that sort of money you should try other cars in that price range though....Boxster dare I say it.
T
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

SLK AMG 55 :clap:

I dont think the rest could convert me though unfortunately.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

tonigmr2 wrote:You can't compare the old shaped 230 to the new ones (if that's what you're doing?)

I had an old SLK230 compressor - the most dreadful car to drive I've ever had. What's that you say? Vague steering? Vaguer than a 90 yr old with alzeimers. God it was so rubbish!!T

Bit harsh! I've driven plenty of cars over the years and the SLK's not bad. I grant you the steering is vague but you do get used to it. I can place the car quite accurately and even straight after I changed from my old tubby I realised I kept pretty close to the same speeds down most roads...my spine got a bit of an easier time over the bumps in the Merc though!

I certainly remember an Audi TT I drove a couple of years previous being a lot less impressive than the SLK.

If I had a free hand on the next car I'd probably go 350z but seeing as we need an auto and can't really justify more than about £10k for something we drive very little I can't see it.

Do think the new SLK's are nice, I'd probably go for a Cayman in that price bracket though, as I think they look miles better than the Boxster.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Cayman :thumleft:

The new Merc is supposed to be miles better as a driver car than the old SLK. The reason I'm harsh with it as I remember 'losing' which way the wheels were pointing on some tight corners - the steering went so light I couldn't even feel what was happening. :pale:

It scared me, I sold it after 2 months ownership...
T

Return to “Driving Experiences”