rebuild - nearly there!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ian Geary

rebuild - nearly there!

Post by Ian Geary »

I'm finally getting there!

I've got the engine lid back on, cleaned up all the brakes and drove the car round the drive a bit too.

The only niggles are a dripping water pipe somewhere under the inlet manifold - it had to be the hardest place to get to of course.

There's also a lot of smoke rising from the turbo when the engine's hot, but I think this is the silver paint put on the exhaust side of the turbo (by turbo technics) just burning off.

Question though - I need an MOT & tax before I can drive the car on the road. So I can't really run the engine in by driving anywhere. Should I run it in on the driveway for a few hours then? as the MOT test will need the car reving over 2,500 for the emissions test surely?

Ian
nutter

Re: rebuild - nearly there!

Post by nutter »

I painted the exhaust side of my turbo and it smoked for about 30 miles then the paint cured so nothing to worry about there.

I'm not sure but i think running a car at idle for any significant amount of time when it's new is not a good idea (unless you haven't had any boring work done on the engine??)

Have you not got any private / quiet roads near you?
JJ

Re: rebuild - nearly there!

Post by JJ »

Your engines not gonna last 20 mins before overheating if you dont rectify the water leak first. :shock:

Dont' rush and run it in, ensure no leaks !! If any failures are gonna occur, it'll happen in the first hour of driving it.

On the sport idlling is recommended also 10 mins at 3k rpm to get the temperature up and some friction created on those sidewalls.

Running is is about bedding in the rings with the sidewall... the more rpm you have, the greater the friction created = the greater the heat coming from the cylinder walls .. keep the rpm down and the oil changed regularly.

Good work ian ! :wink:
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
greeny

smoking!

Post by greeny »

Ive just rebuilt my rev1 tubbie with a hybrid turbo technics ct26, that also smoked for the first 15mins of driving, after that no problems! just running her in, cant wait to get her set up properly and see what she'l do! How many miles are you gonna run her in for? ive bin told bout 500 to 600? is this rite?

Return to “Mechanical”