[Mk2] [NA] Immobiliser problem! Goddammit!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

inky

[Mk2] [NA] Immobiliser problem! Goddammit!

Post by inky »

OK I've just paid £130 to get this car through the MOT.

Last thing I expected was the alarm was fitted before I got it to suddenly stop receiving signals from the fob! Tried both fobs, no joy.

So ... does anyone have any ideas where to start?

Or should I just get it taken out completely by an expert? Can anyone recommend an auto electrician who isn't terrified of japanese cars, and do call outs to home addresses to fix xxxxx up alarm systems?

Thanks in advance ... I'm just off to break something.
Steve-O 2007

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Immobiliser problem! Goddammit!

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

tried new batteries in the Fobs??
inky

Post by inky »

Thanks for the response. The spare was fine the other day, first thing I tried when I got home and used the main fob to lock the car - hold on, no flashy indies, battery must be going. Got the spare, and just the same problem.

They couldn't both have failed at the same time, especially as the spare don't get used, surely?

Will have a look and see if we have any batteries that fit but I think they're the big round flat ones.

The other thing that sticks in mind is I looked thru the paperwork when I bought the car and some engineer has written "recommend new motherboard" while diagnosing some problem with the alarm that the previous owner had. If it is that, then its all just getting torn out (by a professional of course) at the first opportunity ...
MR_TOAD_INSTALLER

Post by MR_TOAD_INSTALLER »

batteries
inky

Post by inky »

The good news is, I remember when I replaced the interior that there was a socket under the steering column which you were supposed to use in the case of battery failure. You press a little gadget on the keyring into it and it works via that.

So I took the new black panel off that got put in and hunted the cable down, pressed the gadget in and all the lights come on and it now starts. \:D/

This, at least, gets me to work tomorrow, and I'll call in at the local watch shop to get a battery and see if that solves the problem. I have to admit though that I am not going to hold my breath :eye:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

hhmmm, what alarm is it?? Is it a Cobra alarm??
inky

Post by inky »

No, all it say on the fob is GT Auto, all the paperwork is in my other house, will need to go get it and find out for certain what model it is.

Another thing, there is a little green LED that flashes on the fob when you use the button, so figure that means the battery is OK? Will find out tomorrow.
inky

Post by inky »

Update.

Went to jewellers for battery. Got new battery. Car was outside, tried the fob. No luck. Jeweller tried my battery in his tester, works fine.

Went back to work. Got out of car, habit meant I pressed the fob, WOW car locks! and unlocks! and un-immobilises! Very happy :thumleft:

Just got home. Pressed button. No indie-flashy. Won't lock.

I deduce there is a loose wire on the alarm power supply, and will get someone to sort it.

\:D/
inky

Post by inky »

Update: Got to work. Alarm works.

Loose wire! \:D/

Return to “Electrical”