Cheapest Stockist for KONI SSK?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperRedMR2

Cheapest Stockist for KONI SSK?

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Hello all,

After a very pleasant morning/afternoon with Jinxy & Nigel, it has become apparent that my shocks at the front are rather soft, and from that there is a case of very sloppy handling.

I was going to buy the KONI kit c/w shocks and springs further on the in year, and get my bodywork done first, but the handling needs to come first now.

I have found that Awesome GTi sell the kit for £336 inc vat, but is there anywhere else?

I will also be buying bottom ball joints all round as well as superflex bushes :)

Jinxy - Did James' exhaust go on, in the end?
cartledge_uk

Re: Cheapest Stockist for KONI SSK?

Post by cartledge_uk »

by the time you add VAT to the awsome GTI price your looking at the same as larkspeeds prices ~£390
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

xxxx, your right, i didnt see that it doesnt include vat. i assumed it was included (assumptions are the mother of all screw-ups!)

[Edited by mod]
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:

Jinxy - Did James' exhaust go on, in the end?

Oh Yes... it went on :lol: & boy does it sound great, we heard him up to quarter of a mile away, so when he got back we adjusted the baffle a little :oops: its a bit too loud for my liking, but hey he is only 23 #-o :lol: , glad you had a good time, sorry about disapearing early on , but i just had to whip my Husky to the vets as i was starting to stress, welcome around again anytime mate, cheers, Jinxy
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Im 23 as well mate!

My car does look better than his though (no offense as he bought it from you).
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

:lol: thought were a little bit older than him #-o , still he likes the zorst & we know when he's on his way so its not a bad thing :mrgreen: , yep the car needs some work, but then he knew that & that was the sort of condition car he wanted & it was at his price, he's not going to learn anything about these cars if its already done for him & thats what he didnt want so from that point of view the car is an ideal testing ground for him :thumleft: hope to see you again Soon Alex \:D/ , Jinxy
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

<removed by admin>
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

I`ve been watching this one, as I want a couple of sets

All about the same :roll:
dcdezign =£410.99 inc P&P
Larkspeed = £409.95 inc p&p
Awsome gti = £336 + £58.80 vat = £394.80 without p+p

:?: Anyone with a better option :pray:

Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
Dan_DCDezign

Post by Dan_DCDezign »

< Ad removed by Admin >
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

<ad removed >

What kind of discount?

Plus, are these readily available and what would be the ETA on delivery?

Cheers
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

The group purchase parts of this thread have now been split out and placed in the Group Buys section:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89310
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Right,

I got a price from Red Star in Braintree for the installation work...does this sound about right...

The 4-wheel alignment and adjustment for the rears is a fixed price at about £45 something, and additional for the front adjustments.

about 3.5 hrs for the installation of the Koni kit and the bottom ball joints, totally around £235 including mr VAT.

I didnt mention to them about the anti-roll bar bushes, so that'd be an additional cost.

Sound about right?
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Folks,

I've removed the Group Buy that Dan was proposing from public view for the moment. I've been in touch with him and he is in the process of joining as an IMOC Affiliate.

Once that is complete the link Max posted above will work again.

Cheers,

Ben
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

is around £700 to spend on suspension overhauling sound like too much?

the car is still low mileage and hasnt got any other issues apart from rust on rear arches which isnt terribly bad.

just a few comments from work colleagues have made me post this...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Folks,

Just to let you know Dan has joined as an Affiliate and the link Max posted above to the Group Buy should now work - but once again:

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=89310

If you want to navigate directly to it, it is in the IMOC-UK Affiliates forum.
Last edited by BenF on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:is around £700 to spend on suspension overhauling sound like too much?

Depends on how much you enjoy driving the Mk1. If you want to have a go fitting it yourself, with the help of someone who knows what they're doing that can save a few quid.

Remember though to also budget for a good 4 wheel alignment afterwards as the alignment will be completely out when you've swapped everything.

With a good alignment you'll get the most from the new suspension setup.

Certainly doing a suspension swap on my MK2 (Tired ~ 8 year old Std struts to new struts ) transformed the feedback and ride quality. I've been a passenger in Mk1s on track with different suspension setups, and the difference between a tired standard setup (eg my trackday Mk1) and a new suspension setup is better roadholding and feedback.
Last edited by BenF on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Yeah that includes the 4-wheel alignment and complete geometry setup as well as all bottom ball joints replaced.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

:+: Sounds like you're getting all the right stuff done. If the suspension and balljoints on the car are worn, it will definitely improve the feedback you get on the limit.

Only other thing I'd suggest getting done are the steering balljoints - and possibly the bushes for the rack. These can be more easily DIY'd if you have a ball joint splitter, but definitely need doing before an alignment.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:is around £700 to spend on suspension overhauling sound like too much?

Alex, it depends on what you mean by suspension overhauling. My figures (and I've tried to avoid caluculating this until now!!!) come up as approximately:
Koni kit (shocks & springs) £400
TRD Bushes: £140
TRD Topmounts: £150
New TwosRUs droplinks: £120
----£810 ( :cry: )
Lower Balljoints all round: (est) £70
New Steering Outer Track Rod Ends: £40
Possibly new rear tie bars: £125
----£1045

So far, I've bought up to the first sub-total. I definitely need new front lower balljoints, and outer track rod ends. I've not included the cost of other various rubber seals and bolts that I've had to buy as I can't remember them off the top of my head. I've also not included costs for sandblasting and painting - and obviously as I'm doing it myself I've not included labour either.

I probably could've saved a fair bit of money here and there, but the way I figure, I'm only doing this once and plan to keep this car, so it's money well spent. (But that is the first time I've done any total since starting the job, and I am now really wishing I hadn't!!! :( ) I could've gone the Fiesta droplink route, but I kinda fell in love with those droplinks when I saw them - though having bought them, I'm now wondering if they were a good purchase (the ball-joint bit on the ends is exposed, so how long before they rust? )... Probably also could've saved by getting different topmounts, but I decided to go TRD to complement the TRD bushes I'd already purchased...

I could've made it easier doing it bit by bit, but the way I figured, as I've got everything already apart, I may as well do it all now.
I never originally planned to replace this much or spend this much (one of the reasons it's taken so long, really!) but it is a case of the deeper I get, the more I find could do with being replacing. For example, the rear droplinks were reusable, the fronts were gone (well, drivers side... and then I had to destroy the passenger side one to get it out the strut). Same with the original topmounts - but t'other way around. The fronts were fine, but the rears were so soft I could squeeze them with my fingers.
I've also taken this opportunity (as the brake calipers are off!) to refurb all four calipers and get some braided hoses...

Just for reference, my car has 103k miles on it at the moment. I thought the handling was okay, then I drove a Mk1 (my sisters one... [-( ) which had better handling. However, having seen the state of my suspension bits, an overhaul was long overdue and I reckon that once done, it'll put my sisters car to shame again... \:D/ (It better do so!)

However, if you're not planning on keeping the car for a significant amount of time, that's a serious amount of moolah to spend, so you may be better just to do things cheaper...
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

monkeymax wrote:[
New TwosRUs droplinks: £120

Max, you may want to check if their droplinks still have an exposed metal bearing joint. A few folks have found these wear very rapidly (ie under a month) when used on a roadcar.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”