MR2 championship

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

omracing

MR2 championship

Post by omracing »

I'm a bit confused as there appears to be two MR2 championships ?? :colors:

One is run by Steve Vince called MR2 Racing for Mk1s only and the 750MC called MR2 championship for Mk1s and Mk2s.
cartledge_uk

Re: MR2 championship

Post by cartledge_uk »

omracing wrote:I'm a bit confused as there appears to be two MR2 championships ?? :colors:

One is run by Steve Vince called MR2 Racing for Mk1s only and the 750MC called MR2 championship for Mk1s and Mk2s.

The MR2 championship is run by 750mc and is fully MSA affilliated with independent scruitineers and comprehensive regulations. :thumleft:

The MR2 racing is run by steve vince with scruitineering undertaken by somebody who races in the series themselves

I know which one i would do if I go back to MR2 racing
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Other info
The SV MR2 Racing series is MK1s only.

The 750mc championship is MK1s, MK2s and may later in the year also introduce MK3s. They've reduced the weight of MK1s to make them more competitive...

I am racing my MK1 in the championship. :mrgreen:
T
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

The MR2 Championship follows the progression path laid down by the now superseded MR2 Challenge. It was always the intention that it should become an MSA recognised Championship and that the series should eventually include all members of the MR2 family. To that end, a roll cage is currently being designed for the MR2 Roadster and Team Rogue Racing plan to field the first mk3 early on in the 2008 series. Registrations for the Championship have reached the high thirties in just three weeks!

From what I've heard, the MR2 Racing series for mk1 MR2s is being absorbed into the Nippon Challenge as a production class due to lack of interest. The organiser hasn't yet made an announcement on this though, so it could just be rumour.

Patrick
System-G

Post by System-G »

Rogue wrote:
From what I've heard, the MR2 Racing series for mk1 MR2s is being absorbed into the Nippon Challenge as a production class due to lack of interest. The organiser hasn't yet made an announcement on this though, so it could just be rumour.

Patrick

LOL! I can see that working well...

Imagine a stock powered MK1 on the grid as a high powered scooby or EVO...

Brings back memories of Simon Norris's accident at Combe last year when they were on the same grid as stock hatches... :shock:

It's a recipe for disaster...
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

cartledge_uk wrote:
omracing wrote:I'm a bit confused as there appears to be two MR2 championships ?? :colors:

The MR2 championship is run by 750mc and is fully MSA affilliated with independent scruitineers and comprehensive regulations. :thumleft:

The MR2 racing is run by steve vince with scruitineering undertaken by somebody who races in the series themselves

I know which one i would do if I go back to MR2 racing

the mr2 racing series will be scruitineered by the circuit they are racing at with guidence from sv and as for comprehensive regulations look at the mr2 racing regs they are the same apart from mk1 weights.
----------------------------------
www.sarahwherryracing.com
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

tonigmr2 wrote:Other info
The SV MR2 Racing series is MK1s only.

The 750mc championship is MK1s, MK2s and may later in the year also introduce MK3s. They've reduced the weight of MK1s to make them more competitive...

I am racing my MK1 in the championship. :mrgreen:
T

they reduced the weight of mk1 to make them more competitive with what you are racing against mk1s only five cars got anywere near the weight of 1050 kg last years challenge weight,no the weight was changed to try and cause problems for mk1 drivers that were looking to race in both series.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

racing23mr2 wrote:
they reduced the weight of mk1 to make them more competitive with what you are racing against mk1s only five cars got anywere near the weight of 1050 kg last years challenge weight,no the weight was changed to try and cause problems for mk1 drivers that were looking to race in both series.

Thats rubbish.

More than 5 cars were near the weight.
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

from Stuart with consent to use Sarah log in...........

Rogue wrote:The MR2 Championship follows the progression path laid down by the now superseded MR2 Challenge. It was always the intention that it should become an MSA recognized Championship and that the series should eventually include all members of the MR2 family. To that end, a roll cage is currently being designed for the MR2 Roadster and Team Rogue Racing plan to field the first mk3 early on in the 2008 series. Registrations for the Championship have reached the high thirties in just three weeks!

From what I've heard, the MR2 Racing series for mk1 MR2s is being absorbed into the Nippon Challenge as a production class due to lack of interest. The organizer hasn't yet made an announcement on this though, so it could just be rumor.

Patrick

the mr2 racing series currently has 25 mk1 cars registered to race in 2008. the mx5s are nothing to do with the mk1 racing series
the mx5s are being put into the nippon challenge as nippon entries are not expected to make full grids in there first year.
yes Patrick a rumor started by ???

official press release

PRESS RELEASE 30.1.2008

There seems to be some confusion amongst club’s and competitors since the 750mc recently launched a new race series of their own for mr2 sports car’s. I would like to confirm that the race series known as the “MR2 CHALLENGE” which was started by me some 4 years ago is “NOT” the same as the 750mc’s new championship.

I have nothing to do with there races and am continuing to run the challenge, which has now been re-launched due to this confusion as simply “MR2 RACING” The series is for mk1 cars only and will run along side our new “NIPPON CHALLENGE” for which mk2’s n/a and turbo’s are eligible. Details of both series can be found on www.mr2racing.com and www.nipponchallenge.co.uk respectively.

Steve Vince

MR2 Racing co-ordinator
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

cartledge_uk wrote:
racing23mr2 wrote:

Thats rubbish.

More than 5 cars were near the weight.

those weights were published by Kif in the MRZINE and are as i stated the first snetterton meeting of 2007 with the most cars and the fullest would you like the figures Tim?
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

My car will meet the weight. :)

TBH most of us are not interested in the politics, or fighting it out on IMOC.
I'm just looking forward to a proper championship series. :)

www.mr2championship.co.uk

T :)
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

tonigmr2 wrote:My car will meet the weight. :)

TBH most of us are not interested in the politics, or fighting it out on IMOC.
I'm just looking forward to a proper championship series. :)

www.mr2championship.co.uk

T :)

great enjoy yourself and good luck, dont want to fight also but clarity was needed, stay on the black stuff!
anna

Post by anna »

racing23mr2 wrote:...
I have nothing to do with there

pedant
their
/pedant

(sorry - but you called it a press release - i hope it hasn't gone to press anywhere...)

races and am continuing to run the challenge, which has now been re-launched due to this confusion as simply “MR2 RACING” The series is for mk1 cars only and will run along side our new “NIPPON CHALLENGE” for which mk2’s n/a and turbo’s are eligible. Details of both series can be found on www.mr2racing.com and www.nipponchallenge.co.uk respectively.

Steve Vince

MR2 Racing co-ordinator

Wouldn't "MR2 MK1 RACING" be a better name?

Anywho - there are two race series available, MR2RACING run by Steve Vince, and MR2championship run by the 750 motorclub....

It's quite easy - if you are racing an MR2, pay your money, and take your choice.
Last edited by anna on Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GO60 - Gaydon to Singapore Overland www.go60sharing.co.uk
Off soon! Follow my personal blog at http://go60.blogspot.com
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

anna wrote:
racing23mr2 wrote:...
I have nothing to do with there

pedant
their
/pedant

(sorry - but you called it a press release - i hope it hasn't gone to press anywhere...)

races and am continuing to run the challenge, which has now been re-launched due to this confusion as simply “MR2 RACING” The series is for mk1 cars only and will run along side our new “NIPPON CHALLENGE” for which mk2’s n/a and turbo’s are eligible. Details of both series can be found on www.mr2racing.com and www.nipponchallenge.co.uk respectively.

Steve Vince

MR2 Racing co-ordinator

Wouldn't "MR2 MK1 RACING" be a better name?

Anywho - there are two race series available, MR2RACING run by Steve Vince, and MR2challenge run by the 750 motorclub....

It's quite easy - if you are racing an MR2, pay your money, and take your choice.

your quote has legally implicated the 750 motor club i would retract it if i were you, there are still legal issues being faught over what you have quoted!
this just prooves people do not understand the situation fully.
anna

Post by anna »

racing23mr2 wrote:
your quote has legally implicated the 750 motor club i would retract it if i were you, there are still legal issues being faught over what you have quoted!
this just prooves people do not understand the situation fully.

er.... get over yourself?

Nothing i say/said implicates 750 motor club legally. Perhaps i don't understand the situation, but it seems pretty simple to me and i'm entitled to my opinion. I have nothing to do with 750mc.

How about you get SV to sue IMOC too? :roll: =;

Feel free to sue me, last time i checked it wasn't illegal to post on an internet forum about some mr2 racing series
anna

Post by anna »

oh - ok i see what you're getting at - mr2 championship is run by 750mc.

You could have just corrected me rather than throwing legal threats about... very friendly....

Good grief i'm so glad i'm not racing an mr2.... talk about a way to spoil racing by embroiling everything in politics... i seriously CBA with that =;
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

no threats just wanted you to be careful,not being funny anna but there is a legal matter being faught in the courts as we type over your wording of who is running what, just surprised by your wording but fine you type what you like go for it.

even the 750 motor club has recently had to retract a letter sent out through legal issues using wording you have just typed, sorry i wont try and help again.
anna

Post by anna »

racing23mr2 wrote:no threats just wanted you to be careful,not being funny anna but there is a legal matter being faught in the courts as we type over your wording of who is running what, just surprised by your wording but fine you type what you like go for it.

even the 750 motor club has recently had to retract a letter sent out through legal issues using wording you have just typed, sorry i wont try and help again.

What i write has no bearing over anything legal.
I made a typo. People do it every day (faught).
It was an honest mistake, I'm sorry it means that much to you.
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

anna wrote:
racing23mr2 wrote:no threats just wanted you to be careful,not being funny anna but there is a legal matter being faught in the courts as we type over your wording of who is running what, just surprised by your wording but fine you type what you like go for it.

What i write has no bearing over anything legal.
I made a typo. People do it every day.
It was an honest mistake, I'm sorry it means that much to you.

i did not say it meant anything to me i was concearned for your understanding as it might not have been a typo ,and you belived it to be so but no worries, im not.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

racing23mr2 wrote:Patrick a rumor started by ???

I'm not keen to get into the politics again - I thought we were well clear of that. :(

For whatever reasons, I'm no longer receiving mailings about the "MR2 Racing Series" and my account on the "MR2 Racing Series" forum has been deleted. Therefore, the only information that's coming in to me is from other people and my means of verifying that information have been cut off. This is why I indicated in my post that the information I had was of unknown veracity. It was in fact relayed to me by a person considering competing in the "MR2 Racing Series" but concerned about being on the circuit with much faster cars. I don't feel it is appropriate to name them here, but they certainly do have access to the mailings and forum.

One particular concern raised was that they felt the "MR2 Racing Series" had already become the Toyota class of the Nippon Challenge because the website was located here:

http://www.nipponchallenge.co.uk/mr2/index.asp

racing23mr2 wrote:PRESS RELEASE 30.1.2008

There seems to be some confusion amongst club’s and competitors since the 750mc recently launched a new race series of their own for mr2 sports car’s. I would like to confirm that the race series known as the “MR2 CHALLENGE” which was started by me some 4 years ago is “NOT” the same as the 750mc’s new championship.

Nothing I said in my post is inaccurate. The MR2 Championship does indeed follow the progression path laid down by the MR2 Challenge - I know, because I played a large part in laying down that path. To the best of my knowledge, no-one has registered "MR2 Challenge" as a trademark or otherwise protected the intellectual property - unless you count the domain name http://www.mr2challenge.com . And there is certainly no denying the fact that the MR2 Championship grew out of the MR2 Challenge - because it did! That said, the Championship is not the Challenge and I'm sure 750MC are as keen for people to know this as SV is. The Championship is all the best bits of the Challenge, with the iffy bits like eligibility scrutineering and points sorted out from the get-go.

The regulations for both series are near enough identical because they both started out as the 750MC's rough draft for the 2008 MR2 Championship. I'm sure Stuart remembers sitting down with SV, KPM and myself at Snetterton last year and picking through them (if it helps to jog your memory Stuart, that's where you said that you knew "some" competitors were slotting their hubs to achieve more camber and you thought this should be allowed under the regulations). Both sets of regulations came from this initial draft and were tweaked by me personally. Robin Knight accepted my suggestion for a lower weight limit to make the mk1s more competitive with the mk2s (based on our experiences against the lighter mx5s at POWERnights), SV did not.

racing23mr2 wrote:even the 750 motor club has recently had to retract a letter sent out through legal issues using wording you have just typed, sorry i wont try and help again.

Lol! They didn't retract the letter - they just apologised for incorrectly using the word "Challenge" instead of "Championship" since they'd overlooked the change in their mailmerge document from the previous year.

Mods - once the dust has settled could this thread be tidied up to just the pertinent points please? O:)

Patrick

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”