US SW21 MR2 in the Philippines; Thanks to IMOCuk for helping me! [NEW PICTURES]

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JAPBOY

US SW21 MR2 in the Philippines; Thanks to IMOCuk for helping me! [NEW PICTURES]

Post by JAPBOY »

[MESSAGE 2: FEB 28, 2008]

New pictures; Installed Volk Racing 17x8 and 17x9 Rims on 205/40 and 225/45. good choice? next up, lowering kit and engine lid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1ST MESSAGE ON JAN 31, 2008]

Hi all, my name is TJ, I'm Japanese, living in the Philippines but currently in Portsmouth for graduate studies. I've been a forumer (mostly a lurker) for quite some time and it was only late last year that I really signed up since my planned acquisition of a SW20 was about to materialise in December 2007 and I need to grab all the info I could get my hands on before I jumpstart the project MR2 I always had in mind.

I'd like to express my gratitude to the contributors of this very informative forum and to some members who'd gone out of their way to help me out with parts sourcing like nightspirit, hookie and scottietse just to name a few. As the title conveys, my MR2 is in the Philippines but parts have been sourced mostly from UK, Japan and US and shipped to Manila. It's a full US-spec left hand drive SW20 t-top n/a as in 5sfe 2.2L n/a and not even the sportier 3sge. But for a 1991 mr2 with only 27,000miles on the clock, I couldn't ask for a fresher MR2 to begin with. I bought it from my mates' Dad who's the first owner and who kept the car under the sheets most of the time.

Anyway, enough with the talking, here she is from scratch. Car was acquired on 7th of Dec 2007 and completed just before Jan 1 2008. She's still a work in progress.

Last edited by JAPBOY on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
JAPBOY

Re: US SW21 MR2 in the Philippines; Thanks to IMOCuk for helping me! [NEW PICTURES]

Post by JAPBOY »

Here she is in action: CLICK ME; YOUTUBE VIDEO

Also, I'd like to share some pictures of the MR2 Club in the Philippines. If any of you fellas are coming over to Manila, Philippines (whether business or pleasure), please feel free to drop by and hang out with Philippine MR2 enthusiasts at the Promenade in Greenhills every Friday night 10pm onwards. They're one very accommodating and hospitable lot.

:)
Last edited by JAPBOY on Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: US SW21 MR2 in the Philippines; Thanks to IMOCuk for helping me! [NEW PICTURES]

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Superb looking Mk2 you've got there TJ. :thumleft:

Are there any Mk1s in the Philippines?
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Thats one very nice 2 you have there :thumleft:
fizz

Post by fizz »

stunning looking machine there man.. love it!

Have you gone and tinted the front windscreen as well? :-k
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

lookin goooooooooooood matey!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

looks really nice mate, money well spent, feel sorry for the spray painter though...he's going to be in big trouble with in a few years, spraying and breathing in all those deadly atomised paint particles...

love the car though... :clap: :clap:

out of interest what spoiler is on the yellow one ? :thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

oh...and welcome to the site mate, think you will make a good addition :thumleft:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Kamoosta Ka from a fellow Pinoy and MR2 Club Member...
nightSpirit

Post by nightSpirit »

Well done TJ that's a fantastic job :) the Bomex wing looks well!

I reckon a nice set of either Advan RGs or TE37s in bronze will go down well with that white paintwork...need any bits, let me know :lol:

Mark
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

mrtee wrote:

out of interest what spoiler is on the yellow one ? :thumleft:

Its an autopista Mart.

Lovely car TJ, best of the bunch in those pics for me. :thumleft:
thai boxer

Post by thai boxer »

Schweert looking Two mate!

If I was gona do one again...it would look something like yours!

Good work buddy. :thumleft: 8)
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
EarL

Post by EarL »

Lovely looking MR2 dude, just needs to look less like a 4x4 now. :wink:
Rhiannan

Post by Rhiannan »

Wow your 2 looks A M A Z I N G !! :shock: :thumleft: :clap:

Is that your white and red Mustang too??? My 2 favourite cars :D

Both are gorgeous
Davis

Post by Davis »

Wow 27k miles? What a lucky guy. ;) Nice cars! I should tag along with my friend, whenever he goes to the Philipines. Heh heh pleasure. :mrgreen:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Stunning mate, stunning 8) :clap:
Harry

Post by Harry »

Good Job TJ,... 8) ...Love the MR 2's V Power and White V 8 USA photos.Which bulbs are used for the fog lights :twisted:
JAPBOY

Post by JAPBOY »

Hi guys, thank you so much for your kind words. I am humbled by your appreciation.

I posted some new pictures taken by my bro. One new mod i installed is a set of staggered Volk Racing wheels, 17x8 and 17x9 on 205/40 and 225/45 respectively. good choice? They're not brand new but are in immaculate condition, I'm thinking of painting the spokes gold then repolishing the lips and rivetts to near chrome finish. what do you think?

@Limeymk1: hello thank you for your comment. yes there are mk1s also in manila, philippines.

@Greddy-Matt: thanks for your kind words, your 2 is magnificent as well!

@fizz: hello, thanks for your appreciation. yes the windshield is fully tinted with 3m neutral whilst the sides and rears are 3m super black. In the philippines its alright to have fully tinted windows. it came with the car when i got it. may not be safe at all but yes its allowed in manila.

@mrtee: hi, thank you for welcoming me. its an honour to be part of this wonderful mr2 environment. i agree with you with regards to the safety of the spray painter. well what can i say, honestly its unfortunate that not all paint shops in the philippines are at par with the safety standards of paint shops in more economically developed nations. sad but true really.

@cliff: mabuti ako pare ko! ikaw? do you also hang out with club mr2 in Manila? I just started hangin out with them last December. amazing and very accommodating bunch! see u when i get back to Manila.

@nightspirit: thanks Mark, you've helped get hold of a part that i had trouble sourcing. will definitely look you up for the rare bits! cheers

@nakamura: oh thank you. you should see the others too in the flesh, some are sleepers 300, 400, 500hp, they spent a lot on their rides. simple on the outside, but really killers on the inside. while mine is 'all show but no go' 5sfe slowmobile.

@thai boxer: wow, now im really humbled by your comment. at least i get confirmation that im doing things right, hopefully really. but i have a long way to go to be honest. thank you.

@EarL: ah yes, it does look like an offroader at the moment. actually im really planning to lower it. i just waited to fit new wheels first, which i did recently so the next project is dropping the ride height. thanks so much.

@Rhiannan: yes its a 67 mustang fastback converted to gt500 look. nothing much really, just good old fashioned wholesome restoration. we share the same favourites! thank you for your kind words.

@Davis: hi. oh now its gone up to 30k miles with all the excitement of gettin it out on the road coz of the new look. now that i own it, i think it will get more sunshine than it did from the previous owner. do come by the philippines, specially march to end of may, lots of summer activities, insane shopping sales and tourism goin on. and yes pleasure as well!

@Leeroy: thank you for your appreciation. if u have suggestions on how i can improve it, please feel free to advise me. cheers

@Harry: thank you for your nice words, i just borrowed my mates digital slr camera and played with it for a while, coz of the photos i found a new hobby, taking pictures of the mr2. as for the bulbs, im using Philips HID bulbs and ballasts for both the fog lamps and headlights. thanks

once again, thank you. please feel free to comment on what you think i can do to improve the looks...and specially the performance of a 5sfe engine! i already started with cone type airfilters, high tension wires, xs power 4-1 exhaust manifold.

:D
Harry

Post by Harry »

:+: Page two
Last edited by Harry on Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Member Profiles”