Steering wheel problem

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tom G

Steering wheel problem

Post by Tom G »

Hello

A while ago I bought a nice standard steering wheel to replace my tiny non-round bendy momo thing :roll:.
Putting back to standard isn't so straightforward, here are my problems:
1) The indicator auto-cancel doesn't work. Which part do I need to make it function again?
2) The std centre doesn't seem to fit my std wheel. the std wheel seems to have three screw mounts, the std centre has one screw mount at the bottom and two plastic prongs at the top. Do I need a new centre bit or am I being dumb? #-o
System-G

Re: Steering wheel problem

Post by System-G »

1] there should be a plastic circular thing that has dimples to suit the indicator stalk in order for it to cancel.
2] the 1a & 1b steering wheels are different. Sounds like you have a 1a wheel and 1b centre or visa~versa.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

Any more ideas?
I have a 1b centre and 1b wheel, and they don't fit together! Are there two types, or do I have something missing?

[/img]
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

The centre (with the 2 plastic prongs) mates up with a rear plastic 'shell' which carries the 2 female receptacles for the centre's 'prongs'.

The rear shell has 3 holes, which take 3 short (M4??) machine screws passing through from the reverse side, to secure it to the rear of the steering wheel.

IIRC the rear half of the centre has a spade terminal which takes the horn wire which sprouts from the front part of the centre

Hope that all makes some sort of sense :?

Not sure this is the correct diagram for your car but it illustrates the general idea, I'm talking about the part that's labelled 45180 in this image:

Might be wide of the mark but I just wondered because you didn't include this 'half' of the centre in the image you posted, so I wondered if you might be missing it..
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

flippin-eck, that must be it!
I'll bet that also does the auto-cancel. Right - time to source the missing piece....
flippin'eck

Post by flippin'eck »

I had a look on ebay for you & I can only find one guy who has the front part of the centre in blue, at the mo.. but I might have missed something.

The auto cancel, I'm a bit puzzled about that, the spinning-jenny that does for that is usually a fixed part of the indicator switch. as already stated, it has two 'pips' on it that mate with the 2 drilled holes on the back of the steering wheel itself - maybe you have some kind of mismatch there where your drill-outs are too small for the indicator switch spinny-bit pips?

You could try operating the auto-cancel by hand, without the steering wheel fitted - indicate right then turn the plastic spinny bit, it should cancel the arm. indicate left & repeat, likewise.. if that doesn't happen, the indicator switch mechanism is malfunctioning..
DNOS808

Mk1 steering wheel.

Post by DNOS808 »

Hi
I have a Mk1b in a barn with a black interior that is being broken up. The steering wheel and indicator parts are all present if you need any bits.
Regards
Andrew
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Tom G wrote:flippin-eck, that must be it!
I'll bet that also does the auto-cancel. Right - time to source the missing piece....

you're probably not too far from Jinxy give him a shout for your missing bits
Tom G

Post by Tom G »

OK here's a pic of the column:

So looks like I'm missing the "spinny thing", right?
Does everything else look OK? (apart from the furry dice hehe)
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

Yeah, there's definitely a bit missing. The spinny thing was a nice shade of purple on the last one I looked at so you can't miss it.
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Got a whole unit here Tom, just give me a shout, Jinxy

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”