TOTB VII (2008) - "Team MR2"

Reports and Feedback from MR2 related events

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

michael

TOTB VII (2008) - "Team MR2"

Post by michael »

http://www.totb.co.uk

Following on from the success of last year I'm at it again - "Team MR2" opened a lot of eyes in 2007, hopefully 2008 will be even better :) My approach was considered to be a little controversial last time around but hopefully people saw that things worked out OK and feel they can lend their support again :)

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59126

The event takes place on Sunday the 27th of July 2008 at Elvington Airfield near York and hopefully we'll be able to secure 10 places again after making an impact last time. As has been mentioned in previous threads we are hoping to attack the 1/4 mile and top speed event as usual but also look into the possibility of cars that will be able to show their ability on the improved handling circuit too.

As a result of the above the search is on for the 1/4 mile monsters, the nimble corner lovers (and talented drivers) and good all round cars that can show the flexibility of the MR2.

An event like this can do wonders for the appeal of a particular make of model, earning the respect of the masses can also boost used values ;)

The team is open to anyone who is willing to work as part of a team, all models of MR2 are welcome (as long as they are competitive of course!) and I'll do my utmost to ensure things are organised as well as can be to ensure you have a fun day with as little stress as possible.

A little bit of early information about some of the potential changes / enhancements for this year below:

For Spectators-

Introduction of raised viewing terraces in addition to grandstands for spectators which should help alleviate the problems with crowded viewing experienced in previous years. Further improvements to the results displays and PA system including a full Redline results service from the Redline marquee. The trade display area and show car section will also use the same larger hard standing area as last year which worked very well.

For car club members

Group buy discount as usual on bulk orders of 10 or more advance spectator tickets, along with a dedicated show area for the top 5 show cars from each club within the trade area. Competing clubs will also be given room for a club marquee if required alongside the show cars.

For competitors- specific proposals- please give feedback on:

Handling circuit- Straightliners Ltd have a new TAG Huer multi-car timing system for this season, which will allow 2 cars out on track (with suitable safety gap) to be individually timed and recorded. This should obviously reduce waiting times considerably. We also propose that the untimed sighting lap for each car is dropped as it is one of the main delays to the handling circuit. One other possibility is that all drivers are allowed to walk the circuit on Sunday morning prior to the event starting, to give them an initial sight of the circuit layout. These changes combined with the new timing system would massively reduce the queues on the handling and will ensure more competitors get all their 5 timed runs in (should they wish to do so).

Top Speed- we are proposing a standing kilometre top speed trap for 2008, which will give us a couple of improvements, one being safety related as the standing mile is already massively quick with many cars pushing 200+mph, plus it’s also very hard on the actual cars in terms of engine damage and retirements. If a standing kilometre is adopted we can also hard-wire the speed trap back to the main timing system, giving instant results rather than waiting for a print out to be sent back or radioed in. The reduced top speeds achieved would still be circa 160-180mph (est.) for the top cars so still very much a viewing spectacle. We are also looking at re-introducing the top speed viewing area for spectators. (Subject to insurer approval.)

Classes/tyres- last years class structure and tyre rules worked very well. Suggestions on other allowed tyres should be made before 1st March, similarly for any suggestions on rules/regs. Other than that we aim to maintain the class and rule structure from last season.
(Cont.)

Test days- Straightliners will be running some timed sprint events at Elvington using the new timing system in the run up to TOTB. These events are open to anyone, and will provide suitable qualifying/practise days for handling cars. Confirmed dates will be announced shortly but the first two are pencilled in for April and May at Elvington. (Info to follow.)

Toyo Tyres-we can supply Toyo 888s or T1Rs to competitors at special discount prices direct from Toyo- please email us for a quotation. Tyre fitting at the event may be made available if demand exists.

Please note some of the above points for competitors are proposals only at this stage.

In addition to team members I'm also keen to try and get as much help for the team as possible - pit lane support crew to help out with any spanner work, people to guard tools, "hospitality" to keep the team and visiting club members refreshed, people willing to collect and document times as the day goes on (an area I really want to improve so that we have current team times on display in our own pits) and more... if you think you can help with something please let me know :)

I'm also very keen to hear from sponsors who may want to contribute towards team entry costs, supply useful parts for the day, feed the team, provide shelter and so on... I'd like this one to be the best one ever, get your name associated with it :)

As stated above there will be a number of sprint days organised at Elvington for potential qualification but it would be great if anyone wants to put similar things together in other locations for track and 1/4 mile times, it's difficult to get everyone together in one place unfortunately but we'll try our best!

So that's it for now. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have, I'll do my best to answer them for you, also feel free to pass this on to any MR2 owners who may not be active here, it's all about the car at the end of the day :)

Make yourself known if you want a day out in front of 1000's of people!
Last edited by michael on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
royashmr2

Re: TOTB VII (2008) - "Team MR2"

Post by royashmr2 »

I will put my name down. If there is a better team and you just need some help let me know
michael

Post by michael »

royashmr2 wrote:I will put my name down. If there is a better team and you just need some help let me know

Nice one sir, you deserve a second chance after last year - get it built nice and early and get some times in :)
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i would be up for that if any spaces are going
michael

Post by michael »

tarmac terrorist wrote:i would be up for that if any spaces are going

10 spaces going at the moment hopefully.

What sort of times have you run? What spec do you have? Any track experience?

(apologies if you are famous for any of the above, I don't always catch the threads ;))
tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

no times on new conversion im afraid.the car is being mapped today so far at 1.5 bar they have got 415 wheel horse power will let you know the outcome
michael

Post by michael »

Keep me posted :)
greeny

Post by greeny »

Michael,

I'm hoping to be up and running in time this year, Will get some times in and the pre-events at elvington sound good :thumleft:

Good news on the proposed new viewing stands and two cars at once on the handling circuit, I think thats been the 2 most asked for improvements over the last few years :)
michael

Post by michael »

Good news :)

it's all sounding rather jolly so far!
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Can you believe my twincharger is booked in for the engine transplant, so you never know. LOL

:twisted:
T
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hopefully get a go this year :lol:
Century Motorsport

Post by Century Motorsport »

Pencil me in please.

My car will be setup far better for the handling course this year too.

My awning (s) are available for usage again this year - ill bring more hospitality (tea earn, tables chairs etc) if you want?

I remember people bringing drinks and other things last year... was a great event and nice for everyone to pull together for a good team event.

Oh, nice pic of Chris picking his nose there!! :mrgreen:

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
michael

Post by michael »

tonigmr2 wrote:Can you believe my twincharger is booked in for the engine transplant, so you never know. LOL

T

I'd like to have a MK1 there so fingers crossed!
michael

Post by michael »

Chris wrote:Hopefully get a go this year :lol:

Hello!

You didn't sell then? Saw it advertised but good to hear you are seeing it through - hopefully we'll get you in there this time!
michael

Post by michael »

Century Motorsport wrote:Pencil me in please.

My awning (s) are available for usage again this year - ill bring more hospitality (tea earn, tables chairs etc) if you want?

I remember people bringing drinks and other things last year... was a great event and nice for everyone to pull together for a good team event.

Nathan

The awning was an excellent addition to things last time so if it's available again that would be great - the extras would be great too, hopefully we can limit the number of support vehicles, have a couple of areas to work on cars (which hopefully we won't need!) and then have the rest as a big party :) I'll bring water and snacks again, if a few people do that we can avoid the prices at the catering vans :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

michael wrote:
tonigmr2 wrote:Can you believe my twincharger is booked in for the engine transplant, so you never know. LOL

T

Well it's just up to me to trailer it up there for the fit...it's all ready to go in....picking up the trailer this weekend. :)
T
greeny

Post by greeny »

tonigmr2 wrote:
michael wrote:

T

Well it's just up to me to trailer it up there for the fit...it's all ready to go in....picking up the trailer this weekend. :)
T

I demand you to do everything in your power to get it trailored there! :lol:

Been a looooonnng time coming and i want to see it in action! :thumleft:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

greeny wrote:

I demand you to do everything in your power to get it trailored there! :lol:

Been a looooonnng time coming and i want to see it in action! :thumleft:

Believe me it has been a long and painful journey. I have made arrangements only today as regards work and dates. :thumleft:
T
royashmr2

Post by royashmr2 »

michael wrote:
Century Motorsport wrote:Pencil me in please.

Nathan

The awning was an excellent addition to things last time so if it's available again that would be great - the extras would be great too, hopefully we can limit the number of support vehicles, have a couple of areas to work on cars (which hopefully we won't need!) and then have the rest as a big party :) I'll bring water and snacks again, if a few people do that we can avoid the prices at the catering vans :)

I can bring some tea and cake as well. I will also have a better stocked parts van for people. Drive shafts and hoses so on. Also a spare gearbox. :D
michael

Post by michael »

royashmr2 wrote:
I can bring some tea and cake as well. I will also have a better stocked parts van for people. Drive shafts and hoses so on. Also a spare gearbox. :D

Sounds good :) We just need to try and make sure that each car doesn't end up with it's own support vehicle as I suspect space will be an issue, even more so if the grass is waterlogged again - if we can combine bits into one place and then get them back at the end that would be good.

More room for BBQs and cake then :)

Return to “Past Events”