Mercedes drivers vs common courtesy

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

James Junior

Mercedes drivers vs common courtesy

Post by James Junior »

I am a pretty patient driver and am the first to flash people and let them out of junctions or into my lane on the motorway.

Most ordinary human beings give a cheerful wave or flash of the lights by way of thanks.

Mercedes drivers however never and I mean NEVER wave, flash or even acknowledge me letting them into my lane or holding up my lane of traffic to allow them to pull out of a junction onto a busy road.

I was pondering this the other night when sat bumper to bumper on the M60 on my slog home and noticed a corelation.

Mercedes drivers also never indicate when changing lanes or turning.

There are three possible answers to this:-

- Mercedes drivers think themselves too important to indicate or give gestures of thanks and have no common courtesy.

- Mercedes cars are not fitted with indicators whilst their drivers think themselves too important to give gestures of thanks and have little common courtesy.

- All Mercedes drivers have one hand and thus have neither the capacity to indicate, flash lights or wave in thanks without losing control of their car.

Any thoughts on this?
skipp123

Re: Mercedes drivers vs common courtesy

Post by skipp123 »

sounds like beemer drivers too lol

my mum had a bmw

and my dad a merc

plain embarising getting a lift for reasons stated above, i usualy wave and thank people for them.... they dont realise there just plain rude lol ](*,)
Azzazzel

Post by Azzazzel »

few months ago i got a wave and a lovely smile from a very nice blonde in a merc who I had let out.... that smile made my day.

I personally dont think merc and beemer drivers are any worse than a good cross section of the rest of society... who all appear to be rude and lacking any significant form of manners.
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Azzazzel wrote:few months ago i got a wave and a lovely smile from a very nice blonde in a merc who I had let out.... that smile made my day.

I personally dont think merc and beemer drivers are any worse than a good cross section of the rest of society... who all appear to be rude and lacking any significant form of manners.

Agree. There are plenty of drivers in all kinds of cars who show no courtesy whatsoever, but we tend to notice drivers of expensive cars more because we associate them with some sort of superiority complex.
GeoffC320

Post by GeoffC320 »

Well...as an ex-MR2 driver and current Merc driver (SLK)...also ex-Merc driver (190E)....much the same whatever really. :oldtongue:

Try to be courteous...not much to do with the car IMO.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

I notice it really in BMW, Audi and Merc drivers, and more and more VW's

They are rep mobiles basically.

My mate used to sum this up all the time pretty much perfectly, we used to travel through in his BMW, 318 (so i was not the best) He used to sit up peoples ar$e and while shouting in the car,

"Look in the mirror, read the badge B. M. W. that means faster xxxxxx car"

He would also force himself in at all times again while screaming "BMW means im more important"

I found it quite funny :)

Nick
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

shibby! wrote:I notice it really in BMW, Audi and Merc drivers, and more and more VW's

They are rep mobiles basically.

My mate used to sum this up all the time pretty much perfectly, we used to travel through in his BMW, 318 (so i was not the best) He used to sit up peoples ar$e and while shouting in the car,

"Look in the mirror, read the badge B. M. W. that means faster 'kin car"

He would also force himself in at all times again while screaming "BMW means im more important"

I found it quite funny :)

Nick

If he wasn't your mate you'd think he was a right dick
Last edited by mattcambs on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Your right! :)

Nick
Azzazzel

Post by Azzazzel »

If he'd done it to me he'd have been eating a volvo towball :D
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

This is always on the way to martial arts!

People that xxxx with us were likely to get stabbed with sword or battered to death with nunchucks! :)

Nick
mav

Post by mav »

I agree its not just BMW and Merc drivers, Audi drivers seem to be the current "favourites" in my book.
I cover 56000 miles a year in my van plus whatever I travel in the car and I have noticed that driving standards are DEFINATLY slipping, however I ask myself WHY this is happening, is it down to our roads? no ITS DOWN TO THE INSTRUCTORS if what happened to me the other night was anything to go by.
I was heading home up the A34, I was in the outside lane at a steady 80 and overtaking an LDV, we came upto a sliproad which had a learner driver approaching, I had spotted him but I dont think the LDV driver had, without warning nor indication the Learner driver pulled out onto the duel carriageway infront of the LDV and promply STALLED. This left the LDV driver in a righth predicament, either rear end the Learner at a good 70mph or pull out, the latter option was chosen which meant subsequently I was the one who found himself in trouble despite the fact that I was already backing of the gas. I had nowehere to go except to try and get over as close to the central reservation (The wire and pole type instead of the the normal hard barrier) to avoid the LDV whilst emergency braking and also trying to avoid being rear ended by Renault Megane behind me.
Fortunately a big accident was avoided although I think the Megane behind me would have suffered some serious stone chips to the front of his car. Horns were blaring lights were flashing but did the learner and instructor wave ANY acknowledgement of their mistake? Did they hell.

If this is the way learners are being taught then im sorry but its no wonder the standards are slipping.
Azzazzel

Post by Azzazzel »

shibby! wrote:This is always on the way to martial arts!

People that feck with us were likely to get stabbed with sword or battered to death with nunchucks! :)

I didnt realise you were the only 2 people in the universe that have ever been taught a method of war and that both of you were capable of stopping 2 tonnes of peed off volvo metal. Kudos.

oooo nooooo :lol:

sun tsu might have something to say about knowing thyself and not thy enemy......

not that im actually your enemy under this current friendly situation :)
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Azzazzel wrote:
shibby! wrote:This is always on the way to martial arts!

People that feck with us were likely to get stabbed with sword or battered to death with nunchucks! :)

I didnt realise you were the only 2 people in the universe that have ever been taught a method of war and that both of you were capable of stopping 2 tonnes of peed off volvo metal. Kudos.

oooo nooooo :lol:

sun tsu might have something to say about knowing thyself and not thy enemy......

not that im actually your enemy under this current friendly situation :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Touche :)

Nick
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im a Merc 190E driver (soon to be MR2 driver) and I wave / flash people out, say thanks and indicate.

Its Chavs in their Nova's / Corsa's thats the worst :P Also theres this one vectra on the way home from work that always cuts infront of all the traffic that P**es me off, your waiting patiently in a big 40+ car que then you see him going down the empty lane and cutting in right at the bottom, then he goes into the other empty lane after that road and cuts in again to the front of a 60+ car que. He is cutting 20 mins of waiting in traffic off but at the same time almost crashing into people when cutting in (one day he will crash)!!!

Have to say, the Merc 190E is an amazing car!! After 2 years of owning it I have spent about £35 on parts for it and its 17 years old and it only cost £500! Im going to be very sad to see it go :(
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Have to say, the Merc 190E is an amazing car!! After 2 years of owning it I have spent about £35 on parts for it and its 17 years old and it only cost £500! Im going to be very sad to see it go :(

Merc really knew how to build a solid car back in those days. I've never owned one but I've always admired them. :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ChrisW wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:Have to say, the Merc 190E is an amazing car!! After 2 years of owning it I have spent about £35 on parts for it and its 17 years old and it only cost £500! Im going to be very sad to see it go :(

Merc really knew how to build a solid car back in those days. I've never owned one but I've always admired them. :thumleft:

Yea and the hand brake is in the right place as well on the old ones (not one of them stupid foot handbrakes like they have now). Plus some of the new ones seem to be suffering with bad body rust.

I realy want a Merc 190E Evo some day but they are worth alot of money -

They look very nice I think :)
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Azzazzel wrote:few months ago i got a wave and a lovely smile from a very nice blonde in a merc who I had let out.... that smile made my day.

agree mate, sometimes i let people out sometimes i dont, id say 60/40 in favour....get a wave from about 85% but the ones that dont get the birdy from behind the door etc...it really annoys me for some reason , dont know why but it just does :-k
teccyjim

Post by teccyjim »

I think the low frequency with which these drivers use their indicators suggests to me that they must be a £500 optional extra, which they would rather put towards that much needed operation to remove their head from their a$s. :clown:

Jimbo
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I see WAY too many 97 year old 4ft tall men driving E Class Mercs at 43mph in the middle lane of main roads.

Get a smaller car you stupid prat!!
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

Azzazzel wrote:I personally dont think merc and beemer drivers are any worse than a good cross section of the rest of society... who all appear to be rude and lacking any significant form of manners.

Well said.

I drive a BMW and I often find that people ignore me when I let them out of side-roads or give them right-of-way on narrow streets etc.
Course, it could be that they feel like they're "getting their own back" on an evil BMW driver though, I suppose. :-k

I was only saying to the missus today how it isn't surprising that there's so much road-rage considering how badly people treat each other on the roads. In one day, in a small town, I was cut-up, blocked, had a parking space that I was indicating into stolen, had people fail to indicate and, in one case, had the car in front simply stop and the driver get out (double parked) when there was a parking space available 40ft further along the road.

Most drivers are selfish, miserable, ignorant tossers and, unfortunately, as they meet each other on the road the convince each other that everybody is as bad as them.

Return to “Driving Experiences”