[Mk2] [NA] Drive shaft removal

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

LeeT

[Mk2] [NA] Drive shaft removal

Post by LeeT »

Hi Guys, what is the best way to remove the driveshafts from my Rev1 n/a, gearbox end?
Thanks ...Lee
Century Motorsport

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Drive shaft removal

Post by Century Motorsport »

A swift tug should see the passenger side come out. As for the drivers side - there is a circlip on the bearing halfway down the shaft - release that and it will come out easily enough.

Make sure you replace the driveshaft oil seals in the gear box as they are prone to leaking due to nicks when the driveshafts are removed.

Regards,

Nathan
Builders of the the UK's first 9second MR2 - 9.722 @ 148 MPH ----- 07947883103 ---- www.centurymotorsport.com
LeeT

Post by LeeT »

Century Motorsport wrote:A swift tug should see the passenger side come out. As for the drivers side - there is a circlip on the bearing halfway down the shaft - release that and it will come out easily enough.

Make sure you replace the driveshaft oil seals in the gear box as they are prone to leaking due to nicks when the driveshafts are removed.

Regards,

Nathan

thanks for a quick reply and the seal tip :thumleft:
unyonion

Post by unyonion »

I just had my box fitted with a new LSD diff (at a garage), I have put the box back in myself and all was ok for 3 days, I turned a sharpish corner (15-20mph) up a hill and lost all drive.
I looked under the car and found the n/s shaft had come out of the box and was p1$$ing gearbox oil out.

I have tried to get it back in but can only get as far as this (about 10mmm left til its back in completely):

Is there a reason as to why I cannot push it back with mucho force? are there any sur clips or anything that may be in the way?
Also what could possibly make the shaft come out of its seating?

I am stumped! Cheers Mark

Return to “Mechanical”