[Mk2] [NA] Fuel Light

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Flyin Donkey

[Mk2] [NA] Fuel Light

Post by Flyin Donkey »

How many miles (roughly) have I got left in the tank when the petrol light comes on?
L0rdMike

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Fuel Light

Post by L0rdMike »

10L so anything between say 30-70miles
Flyin Donkey

Post by Flyin Donkey »

30 miles is further than i thought :thumleft:
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

Light comes on at 45L so I normally say have 300miles done by then.

300/45= 6.6 so thats 6.6miles per Litre.

Times that by whats left and I should be able to get 66miles before I run out. :P

Of course the way you drive and many things can effect it.
blue2

Post by blue2 »

I have a phd on running cars low on petrol, I used to use mine every day with the petrol light on (in my skint student days). But, it can cause probs, if you run it out you will end up sucking a load of crap through the system and that can be a real headache. Ive driven about 30 miles with the light fully on, thats as far as I dared go :?
Flyin Donkey

Post by Flyin Donkey »

I trecked a whole 15mile journey with the light on just waiting for it to die on me, clearly I could have done it a couple more times.

As soon as the light comes on the needle is sat right on its ar$e though #-o
mav

Post by mav »

Never let mine get low enough to see the petrol light, come t9o think of it Im not even sure if it works :lol:
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

My light no longer works :(
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

blue2 wrote:I have a phd on running cars low on petrol, I used to use mine every day with the petrol light on (in my skint student days). But, it can cause probs, if you run it out you will end up sucking a load of crap through the system and that can be a real headache. Ive driven about 30 miles with the light fully on, thats as far as I dared go :?

It all depends on how often you run it low down. If you run it low down regularly surely it only sucks a little bit of crap through at a time - therefore a regular run down can actually help keep your tank clean for a real emergency.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
slunk

Post by slunk »

Where abouts should the needle be when the warning light comes on? It's been off the bottom of the gauge in my turbo before and the light hasn't come on. Just wondering if its still working... Are there any quick tests other than the obvious one of driving till she dies of thirst?
if you run it out you will end up sucking a load of crap through the system and that can be a real headache

Isn't this a myth? If not, what exactly does the fuel filter do?
Moo

Post by Moo »

slunk wrote:Where abouts should the needle be when the warning light comes on? It's been off the bottom of the gauge in my turbo before and the light hasn't come on. Just wondering if its still working... Are there any quick tests other than the obvious one of driving till she dies of thirst?
if you run it out you will end up sucking a load of crap through the system and that can be a real headache

My light doesn't work anymore but when it did it came on 1 graduation above the lowest mark on the gauge. If your light works it should be coming on before the needle hits the last mark on the gauge.

My tank was off recently and it was clean as a whistle inside but I always run it low so either there wasn't any crap in there to start with or if there was crap it was sucked out and caught by the crap filter :wink:
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

slunk wrote:Where abouts should the needle be when the warning light comes on? It's been off the bottom of the gauge in my turbo before and the light hasn't come on. Just wondering if its still working... Are there any quick tests other than the obvious one of driving till she dies of thirst?

The thought that running on empty sucks all the gunk from the bottom of the tank into the engine is just a myth.

In order to get the last drop out of the tank, the fuel drain pipe must be at the bottom of the tank anyway. And in that case, you're using the oldest fuel first leaving the newest filled petrol at the top of the tank (ignoring any mixing). Therefore when you run on empty, you're actually using the latest fuel you put into the car.
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

Olly P wrote: The thought that running on empty sucks all the gunk from the bottom of the tank into the engine is just a myth.

In order to get the last drop out of the tank, the fuel drain pipe must be at the bottom of the tank anyway. .

I have been telling people this for years :shock:
also any crap in the fuel has got to get through the filter before the fuel pump and then through the fuel pump to the fuel filter and then even if it should by some matter of luck get through to the injectors there is also a filter on each injector to stop it there
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

[quote="Olly PI Therefore when you run on empty, you're actually using the latest fuel you put into the car.[/quote]

Hmmmmm, i realy dont think it would stay in a layer on top of old fuel, as soon as you put petrol in the tank it would mix with the old stuff, even more so when your sloshing it around when driving
teazer82sr

Post by teazer82sr »

its best to keep fuel in the tank to prevent moisture build up which in turn leads to rust inside the tank. i fill up every week from the bottom to the top, but i never let it get lower than the last 3 bars
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Turbo-G wrote:My light no longer works :(

Replaced mine new one.
Moo

Post by Moo »

Vindezal wrote:

Replaced mine new one.

Which bit did you replace?
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

Moo wrote:
Vindezal wrote:

Replaced mine new one.

Which bit did you replace?

for some reason it shorted out. monkeys in stereo shop were messing with car. anyway after I took the car to main dealer to have it back to life, the fuel bulb got replaced thats all.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”