[Mk2] [Turbo] Tein 'Type Flex' Coilovers - Advice

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ELS

[Mk2] [Turbo] Tein 'Type Flex' Coilovers - Advice

Post by ELS »

Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could help us out with some technical advice for setting up tein (type flex) coilovers?

I've been through the installation manual on the tein uk website and called the guy on there technical inquiries line, however he was not that helpful. Basically i would like to take the ride height down to its lowest setting (-65mm drop, front and rear).

Tein's technical advice guy told me that i'd need to adjust where the lower bracket sat on the shock absorber and adjust the spring range.

Unfortunately i've been unable to post tein's installation manual up for these coilovers so if anyone else could i'd be most grateful. The page which is most crucial shows reference values for the adjustable range and diagram to correspond.

If anyone could help us out with this it would make my day. :D

Kind regards Elliott
Leon.

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Tein 'Type Flex' Coilovers - Advice

Post by Leon. »

Hi Elliott,

I have them on mine and have adjusted them several times. I was initially incorrectly told to just move the lower spring collar to change the ride height... when you look at the setup, this changes the spring tension as well as the ride height - NOT the way to do it.

Looking at the setup you should see a single collar at the bottom of the shock, loosen this off a few turns - you'll need to keep moving it as you lower the shock. With the 2 lower spring collars locked against each other, just use the spanner on one of the collars and the shock will start rotating in the bracket and the height will change.

Does that make sense?

Leon
ELS

Post by ELS »

Thanx for your feed back Leon.

As you say this i believe also to be the correct way to set them up, it makes perfect sense when you look at the installation manual on the tein.co.uk website.

When lowering like this did you also change the spring tension? i.e adjusting the 2 collars for the spring as well? :-k

Correct me if im wrong but the coilovers are always preset to the manufactures reference values when they're purchased ( i.e. found in the installation manual on the website). Now if you adjust the shock height, i would have thought you need to adjust the spring tension in relation? Or am i just being too anal!

Regards Ell
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

The ride height and spring tension are independently adjusted so I don't see any reason to adjust the spring tension when lowering the car, unless you want to reduce travel when going over bumps as its so low!!

I thought my explanation might be a bit confusing. Basically I was saying to slacken off the lower shock collar and then you want to rotate the shock (the screwthread section) inside the bracket piece. The easiest way I found to do that was just to use the 2 collars at the bottom of the spring as a griphold for the C spanner. Since they are locked together they will move with the shock but won't loosen or anything. Any clearer?
ELS

Post by ELS »

Cool, cheers for the advice bud. :thumleft:

Just out of interest what damping force settings are you running?
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

ohhh good question!! :lol:

I *think* 14 front and 12 rear... :-k Mine's a daily driver on xxxx roads though :eye: Would love to stiffen her up a bit on say 8/10 but it wouldn't happen unless I went on track I don't think, and then I'd go even stiffer!
ELS

Post by ELS »

Nice one, cheers for the help 8)
zebidi

Post by zebidi »

Not being expert here but the best way to describe the lowering you describe is to tighten the b racket as if you were finished with adjusting,

Then hook both spanners onto th lower bracket and you have to move it with enough torque to twist the tube into the suspension arm mount.

I used to ride mine with 10 front and 9 rear for normal driving but then when cornering it used to skip as it was too stiff, so loosening up and giving them some space to compress to cushion you round the corner is smoother sometimes.

Return to “Modifications”