[Mk2] [Turbo] cheap aftermarket intercooler with instructions

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

spit051261

[Mk2] [Turbo] cheap aftermarket intercooler with instructions

Post by spit051261 »

Hi all,
Just bought this from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=003
...also got chatting to pete who runs the place and he very kindly sent me all the info for fitting it
.Decided to post everything for all you guys,who like me,can't afford over £600 for a greddy.
here goes...lots of pictures which can't be bad...I'll be fitting mine this week so if you want to wait to find out how I get on....that's fine.
Here are the instructions he sent as well....top bloke by the way!

Hi Paul,

Here are some pics i have taken of the mr2 turbo kit all put together , one thing i noticed with this batch is the silicon seams a bit large but the clips hold and like i say never had any probs from any of the other coolers we have sold ..

1. 1x metal pipe
2. 1x metal pipe
3. 1x 90 deg silicon bend
4. 1x 30 deg silicon bend
5. 6x hose clips
6. 1x straight silicon
7. 1x straight silicon
8. 1x reducer
9. 1x intercooler core

The Intercooler core -(9) sits at a angle 1 oclock up & down when in the car , using the lugs on the core remount the factory fan to the new core, the 30 deg bend -(4) sits at the top of the core conecting to one of the alloy pipes suplied this pipe has a "s" shape bend to it -(1) , this pipe is to leed to the inlet man ,there is a silicon reducer -(8) that will connect to the top pipe securing the top pipe from core to inlet man..

The bottom intercooler tank uses silicon straight -(6) then take pipe -(2) and connect it to no -(6) silicon at the bottom of the core , this pipe leeds to a factory pipe where you will use the 90 deg bend -(3) to connect it up to the turbo side .

There is aother peice of silicon -(7) that is to replace the old silicon thats of the turbo..

I would sujest keeping the pipe work slack untill you are happy with the fit .

Having some strange email problem today so you can get me on this email ..

Regards
Peter Georgeson
FarEastPerformance
Paul
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] cheap aftermarket intercooler with instructions

Post by Martin F »

lol....if only it was that easy, these kits are the worst fitting ive ever seen and should not be called a kit (al. pipes too short and silicon pipes to short), the clamps stop you from getting the right tightness so will not work as they should. :pale:

well done for posting this info though :wink:
spit051261

Post by spit051261 »

mrtee wrote:lol....if only it was that easy, these kits are the worst fitting ive ever seen and should not be called a kit (al. pipes too short and silicon pipes to short), the clamps stop you from getting the right tightness so will not work as they should. :pale:

Have you ever fitted anything like this?
Why not wait until I have tried to fit my one....I am independent so I will be realistic about everything.
It just seems like everybody here wants hard working guys who have spent a lot more than they thought they would on their 2's,to spend more than they can afford on "greddy" or "blitz" or any other cool names instead of finding something that costs a lot less...i mean a hell of a lot less......
I know it might not last forever but it will do the job...
Sorry guys but I don't have that sort of money for those "designer" makes!!
Paul
stevel

Post by stevel »

Paul
It will be interesting to see how you get on, I am sure this will be a good value kit & worth the money. Horses for courses I say.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

spit051261 wrote:
mrtee wrote:lol....if only it was that easy, these kits are the worst fitting ive ever seen and should not be called a kit (al. pipes too short and silicon pipes to short), the clamps stop you from getting the right tightness so will not work as they should. :pale:

Have you ever fitted anything like this?
Why not wait until I have tried to fit my one....I am independent so I will be realistic about everything.
It just seems like everybody here wants hard working guys who have spent a lot more than they thought they would on their 2's,to spend more than they can afford on "greddy" or "blitz" or any other cool names instead of finding something that costs a lot less...i mean a hell of a lot less......
I know it might not last forever but it will do the job...
Sorry guys but I don't have that sort of money for those "designer" makes!!
Paul

had one about a year ago, sold it and bought this exact intercooler 2 weeks ago, fitted ok but ive written this point due to my experience, the car has been off the road for over 1 week now while i source the correct bits needed, im just stating a fact that these kits have been thrown together without much common sense
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

mate, i totally agree with you, why spend £400-£600 on a greedy etc intercooler that is almost exactly the same as this one. i do spend a fair bit on my car but im also keen to save money too and thats why i ended up buying this one.
before you fit it can i recommend that you get a shroud from gts chris otherwise you will have a big hole going around your intercooler.the shroud blocks this off so that the air goes through your intercooler only, its very important and only costs £20 :thumleft:
spit051261

Ta

Post by spit051261 »

Thanks for the advice .. I will get.. but!
I am an electrical engineer with lots of fitting skills as well (PLC Siemens step 7 being my current baby..but..have used lathe,milling machine etc....get my drift) so knocking up bit of ally plate should be no problem.
Paul[/quote]
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

sounds like a good idea, i traced a copy of the shroud so i can pm you a pic and rough sizes, may save you some time, i will pm you tomorrow evening if youd like :wink:
spit051261

yes

Post by spit051261 »

Thanks mate,
Really appreciate that.
Paul
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

[quote="spit051261

Paul[/quote]

Never a truer word spoken. What we need is more competition for the likes of HKS and Blitz otherwise their prices will never drop. I guess it's the downside to owning an Import only car ](*,)
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

go 2nd hand.

I got an ARC with all the pipes and fits perfectly for £180. There's a Greddy for sale on here with shroud for £400.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

He's paid probably less than £200 lets see how it fits before telling him he should have got something else.
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

mattcambs wrote:go 2nd hand.

I got an ARC with all the pipes and fits perfectly for £180. There's a Greddy for sale on here with shroud for £400.

Is 400 quid supposed to be cheap then :shock:
spit051261

Post by spit051261 »

matt_mr2t wrote:He's paid probably less than £200 lets see how it fits before telling him he should have got something else.

Who are you talking about........£200 still seems a lot for what they are.
Paul
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

spit051261 wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:He's paid probably less than £200 lets see how it fits before telling him he should have got something else.

Paul

I was sticking up for you after some one said you should have paid £400 second hand for a Jap one!
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

lol, this guy is only speaking the truth, and theres been documented fitting isses of these ics for months if not years dude....
hes not guessing, he knows that there are fitting issues, be it pipes, hose clamps or whatever.
hes not saying, you should have saved for a greddy, lol, simply warning you about whats ahead....

and yep get a backplate, and maybe even consider a large spal fan and shroud.

:thumleft:
mattcambs

Post by mattcambs »

Yes, £400 is a lot of money, but the Greddy is a proven, quality product. You get what pay for in my opinion.

Surely, though when you factor in a fan, shroud and all the correct hoses and clips you'll be getting close to £350?

I hope your IC goes in ok, Paul. Keep us updated as this could indeed be a bargain and therefore good news for everyone :D
spit051261

Post by spit051261 »

matt_mr2t wrote:
spit051261 wrote:

Paul

I was sticking up for you after some one said you should have paid £400 second hand for a Jap one!

Oh.....sorry matey.
Paul
spit051261

Post by spit051261 »

mattcambs wrote:Yes, £400 is a lot of money, but the Greddy is a proven, quality product. You get what pay for in my opinion.

Surely, though when you factor in a fan, shroud and all the correct hoses and clips you'll be getting close to £350?

I hope your IC goes in ok, Paul. Keep us updated as this could indeed be a bargain and therefore good news for everyone :D

I will do....with pictures as well...
Paul
Mikey P MR2

Post by Mikey P MR2 »

good luck fitting it, though you should be fine looking from the pictures yours looks better than the xs power set up, that has more joins and not enough joining sections. And to be fair a larger intercooler is a larger intercooler cant see the point in paying extra for a name (not like its a turbo with moving parts or anything).

Return to “Modifications”