Anyone with the premium sound system? How good? 2 subs or 1?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Anyone with the premium sound system? How good? 2 subs or 1?

Post by ryan »

Looking at upgrading, but still not totally convinced with the behind seat aftermarket boxes, so i'm wondering what the 2x sub affair is like as part of the premium sound system?
Also, if I get 2 subs in the rear boxes, will I need another one of those seatbelt cowling amps, opr will just the one passenger side amp run both?
cheers!
mojo666uk

Re: Anyone with the premium sound system? How good? 2 subs or 1?

Post by mojo666uk »

hi mate, i have the "premium" original system from toyota with 6 x component speakers and the 2 x subs in the storage trays. They are OK if you just listen to the radio etc but when i stuck a Jungle Drum and Bass album through them this morning the sound was terrible, so bad infact i am looking at running two new subs and speakers through two seperate amps, i was looking for an answer to a question on here when i spotted your question.

In answer to your question avoid the original speakers if you want to play some real bassy music or if your a treble man they should cope fine. Hey if i swap mine over you could buy my ones :)

Stuart
ryan

Post by ryan »

mojo666uk wrote:hi mate, i have the "premium" original system from toyota with 6 x component speakers and the 2 x subs in the storage trays. They are OK if you just listen to the radio etc but when i stuck a Jungle Drum and Bass album through them this morning the sound was terrible, so bad infact i am looking at running two new subs and speakers through two seperate amps, i was looking for an answer to a question on here when i spotted your question.

In answer to your question avoid the original speakers if you want to play some real bassy music or if your a treble man they should cope fine. Hey if i swap mine over you could buy my ones :)

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
I'm actually in the process of getting hold of 2 sub boxes that I can modify to take 2x Focal subs, which I purchased on the weekend. I can see this install costing me nearly 1k; this Focal stuff is Sooooo expensive!
mojo666uk

Post by mojo666uk »

Hi mate, good luck to you, where did you get your boxes from?

I've not heard of focal before, what size subs are you putting in, i have 2 x 12" Fast and Furious Subs from a while back and i want to re-use them, let me know how much space you have, i might have to build a box to extend up from the floor and partially block the window each side.

let me know how yours goes,

Cheers
Stuart
ryan

Post by ryan »

mojo666uk wrote:Hi mate, good luck to you, where did you get your boxes from?

I've not heard of focal before, what size subs are you putting in, i have 2 x 12" Fast and Furious Subs from a while back and i want to re-use them, let me know how much space you have, i might have to build a box to extend up from the floor and partially block the window each side.

let me know how yours goes,

Cheers
Stuart

Hi Stuart,
I'm actually re-using the STD toyota sub boxes that fit in the cubbys behind the seats. Focal are a french company and they make high quality (and pricey :cry: ) speakers.
Good luck with the install!
mr2 dan

Post by mr2 dan »

seen some 6x9 boxes that will fit nice and if you get some good amped 6x9s that can take bass then sould sound ok . iam thinking of this way with it been a t-bar and i have the seat all the way back think kenwood do some 6x9 sub like bass ones . :roll:
ryan

Post by ryan »

mr2 dan wrote:seen some 6x9 boxes that will fit nice and if you get some good amped 6x9s that can take bass then sould sound ok . iam thinking of this way with it been a t-bar and i have the seat all the way back think kenwood do some 6x9 sub like bass ones . :roll:

Yeah, I've seen 6x9 subs for sale in some mag. I too have a T bar, and didn't want anything else cluttering up the behind seat area.
I'm sticking with the focals as they're prettey good quality it seems, and when they're amped properly, the bass should be fine for my needs :D
Good luck
Ryan
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

mr2 dan wrote:seen some 6x9 boxes that will fit nice and if you get some good amped 6x9s that can take bass then sould sound ok . iam thinking of this way with it been a t-bar and i have the seat all the way back think kenwood do some 6x9 sub like bass ones . :roll:

Tho 6x9s like to have a big cabinet to sound good. Why dya think they sound bassy in the boot of a hatch back?
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I have the 2 subs in my G-Limited. It sounds pretty good for standard but I'd imagine 1 sub should be sufficient. What size are the standard subs in MR2's, anyone know?

Return to “ICE and Security”