[Mk2] [NA] What has happened to MR2 prices?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bpascua

[Mk2] [NA] What has happened to MR2 prices?

Post by bpascua »

Hello,

What has happened to MR2 prices? they seem to be really low and hard to sell at the moment. I bought a uk na 97 tbar mint 18 months ago for 5k. Now it seems like I'll be lucky if I get 3k for it. This is alot of depreciation for a car of it's age. Does anyone have an insight into why this might be?

Thanks

Brian
skipp123

Re: [Mk2] [NA] What has happened to MR2 prices?

Post by skipp123 »

no idea im all for trying to bump the prices up.... even the best of the lot are around 10-13k ie earls and the new phoenix power car the white one through jurgen @ jm-imports
steve b

Post by steve b »

bpascua wrote:Hello,

What has happened to MR2 prices? they seem to be really low and hard to sell at the moment. I bought a uk na 97 tbar mint 18 months ago for 5k. Now it seems like I'll be lucky if I get 3k for it. This is alot of depreciation for a car of it's age. Does anyone have an insight into why this might be?

Thanks

Brian

chavs, glad I got out when I did. Means now if i return I can get one for next to nothing, that is if there are any non chav'd ones left.
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

i just picked up a rev2 j plate gt turbo for 800.....

okay i have to do head gasket but whoopey still cheap and body is mint

cam with

mongoose
turbo timer
boost gauge
recaro seats not sure if all had them
Caz

Post by Caz »

I think its cos there are so many around for sale at the moment. I just nought myself one a couple of months ago and it was a real bargain and pretty mint at that :D but there were so many to choose from.
SW20Paul

Post by SW20Paul »

I think we should all sell our cars for double then If someone wanted one they'ed be forced to pay the price :D

I know what you mean It was only about a year ago when you just couldnt get a rev3 turbo for less than 5k now im thinking of selling mine and thinking around 3- 3.5k to be realistic :(
Si_Crewe

Post by Si_Crewe »

I bought my 1992 Rev2 last May for £2,200, I think.

S'funny but I was stuck in a foriegn country at the time when I decided to buy a 2 and, looking at the Autotrader website, I could see the prices going UP on an almost weekly basis.

I guess it was cos it was coming summer and they were getting more desirable.
Must admit, I haven't really looked at prices since.

Thing is, if you bought a 2 for decent money and it's a good car you might be best holding on to it.

If the prices plummet then a lot of these cars are going to get bought, raced and shagged by kids before being chopped-in to garages in part-ex for a Saxo. The garage then polishes them up, fills the engine with oil the consistency of honey and sells them to people like us.
C50

Post by C50 »

Oh no!! :pale: looks like i'm gonna have to keep mine then.
paulmann

Post by paulmann »

if i am to sell mine its going for no less than £5000. thats the price it will be advertised at.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

It's partly time of year, partly because they keep getting imported, and partly that less people are buying sports cars of any variety at the moment - 'interest rate' worries and all that....

A good example can still sell for good money, you just need to be patient. Unfortunately a lot of people don't have that luxury, so keep dropping prices until it's a bargain and sells - thus lowering prices across the board...

T
star_gazer

Post by star_gazer »

Hi Brian,
I don't think the prices are going down as such. It's just that there are MK2s in very poor condition.

When I see the word mint I LOL :lol:

Many of the so called deals you see are shagged to death, and people compare them.

No offence to the previous poster but the rev2 for £800 will be a money pit, why?

1. you will need to repair the HG
2. HGs don't just fail, there will be a hidden time bomb waiting to go soon maybe the Rads screwed or pipes from hell ...
3. At 90K most of the suspension components will be shagged (bushes, ball joints and maybe even shocks
4. What about the turbo, if it is going off you are looking at £££

When you add all these we are looking at £3000 for an engine transplant with turbo, £500 odd for full cooling system replacement, £1500 for a full suspension overhaul and guess what its £5800 total cost.

Again it might only cost £500 to repair it, at the end of the day the previous owner might have sold it after realising the reality of the state of the car!

So I wouldn't bother about it, I still haven't seen a mint mr2 mk2 for under £3K :thumleft:
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

when classed as mint i was on about the body work on mine.

suspension being replacee with coilovers and uprated bushes,

engine is being treated to

new
oil pump
water pump
steel head gasket
re shim
stat
cambelt tensioners
uprated clutch
radiator

u see i wanted a broken one as i intended to do all this to any car i got. I dont trust any one and want all the bases covered so cheap with good body work is ideal

then modify it sensible....... i believe original prob was stat stuck open/closed or a weak water pump will be testing that theory soon.

so a few months hard work and sweat i will have a perfect engine and a mint body, plus i was bored with too much time on my hands.......

also was brought from a member on here, are u saying he might of lied and i should not trust any members here ???? think not
gerbil1028

Post by gerbil1028 »

p.s last line was a joke i took no offence before i get roasted :mrgreen:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I paid £6.5 for a uk n/a rev1 t bar!!!
Having said that it was 8 1/2 yrs ago and other than mods I've chosen to do only things I've HAD to replace are an alternator, 2 clutches, 2 calipers, 2 front discs and the handbrake cables (and service items like plugs & filters etc.).
Even if it's now worth nothing (which it isn't) thats still cheap motoring over that period of time. It's like housing or shares... you only lose money if you sell and these cars go forever. Well, 176k and counting.....
Dont panic... dont sell. In fact I may pop out and buy another...

R
Mk2Man

Post by Mk2Man »

I paid £1900 for my 1991 Mk2 2.0Gti T-Bar with 90,000 miles. That was 1 year ago. It may loose a lot of money if I decide to sell it but... I bought the car at a difficult stage in my life and saw it as a kind of rebellion. Totally impractical, impulsive and fun. I would still be happy with the purchase regardless as it is a beautiful car that has been great fun! I did notice recently that prices have dropped and it did p1$$ me off a bit but ultimately I'm pleased with it! :D

Oh and btw, hi, I'm new to the forum. Hope 2 attend a few meets, especially if there are any in the East Anglia Area!
ferrit

Post by ferrit »

One word - winter.

Coming into winter, they're less "desirable"
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey there Mk2Man. If your interested there may be a meet in Cambridge this coming tues. Check the events section, 'cambridge mini meet' for updates. Where you based?
Oh and by the way I think they're v practical cars. Mines been a daily driver for over 8yrs, I can get all my photography gear in it for work (try that in a mk1, mk3 or elise/v220), enough bags for a week away with the g/f and it's always fabulous to drive. Then when it's parked up look back at it... still better looking than anything this side of a ferrari.

R
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

It does seam to be a buyers market. :-$
Can`t complain though. :D
My rev2 Turbo was up for £2700 and got it for £2100 last month
A fresh Import.
Only done 51000 km (according to the paper work/speedo)
Had the hard top I wanted
All mod cons:- A/C, Traction Control, folding mirrors etc.
Drives like new.
I`m sure I could keep it for a year & sell it for the same price
(not that I would)
LOVE IT!! =P~
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
Mk2Man

Post by Mk2Man »

Oh and by the way I think they're v practical cars. Mines been a daily driver for over 8yrs, I can get all my photography gear in it for work (try that in a mk1, mk3 or elise/v220), enough bags for a week away with the g/f and it's always fabulous to drive. Then when it's parked up look back at it... still better looking than anything this side of a ferrari.

Yeh, mines practical for my lifestyle now... But at the time it wasn't 4 me! Haha!

Based in P'Borough btw. Will look up the Cambridge meet now. What they like/consist of? Never been 2 one b4. Just really looking to see how I can smarten mine up a bit... Get a bit of advice! Haven't done anything 2 it since I got it a year ago!
acf8181

Post by acf8181 »

They're certainly going for very little on ebay at mo...in fact most appear to be not meeting their reserve (even if its sensible)

Makes me start considering just buying another one and breaking mine instead of sorting the few issues it has at mo (slight misfire, heater pipes, and a key mark down the quarter)...but then i just think 'better the devil you know) and other than these issues its been perfect for 2.5 yrs.

By the way i paid £2k back then for it (rev2 uk) which i think was a bargain at the time, for about a yr and a half i could have sold it for zero loss.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”