[Mk2] [Generic] Mopping

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jon0406

[Mk2] [Generic] Mopping

Post by jon0406 »

I have quite a few little scratches and swirls all over my MR2 and have been told that the best way to get rid of them is to mop the paint.
I can get hold of a mop, but don't really know what I'm doing when I get it!
Have seen the Farecla compounds for use with a mop, but do I need G3, G6 or G10? :-k
I was wondering if anyone had experience of mopping and could point me in the right direction, I don't want it to end up looking worse than it does now!
Any help or info would be appreciated. :thumleft:
Cheers
Jon
fearless

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Mopping

Post by fearless »

dont hold me to this but i think higher the number stronger the cutting compound, so if yours are only light go with the lowest matey i used a good quality t cut on mine and that done a great job on my galaxy, :clap: :clap: the mop really makes a difference the colour of the mops are harder aswell white is soft i think and blue is harder good luck
Stretchermunkey

mopping

Post by Stretchermunkey »

Hi Jon, I had a red Mr2 a whilst back, got it professionally mopped and only cost about £60, looked really good when he finished. Be careful if you do it yourself as its easy to take too much paint off, and be left with white marks on some of the edges
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

as above mate , be really carefull but at the same time it does take a lot off effort, g3 is a popular one for the damage you are describing....

it is also worth while masking all the exterior plastics, i.e. around the window trims etc...it will save you a lot off work in the long run :thumleft:
spannerman

Post by spannerman »

The Farcla range goes like this:-

G6 is the most cause

Then

G3 (most commonly used)

Then

G10 - Very fine used after either of the other 2 to finsh off.

Finally there is Farcla "hand glaze" which as the name suggests is put on by hand and rubbed off. This removes the swirls. I must if you car is black
BLZ-8027

mopping

Post by BLZ-8027 »

PM cj82 he used to do this for a living
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Get the mop, take a bucket, add some water and detergent and give it a scrub :wink:

:whistle:

:-#

:mrgreen:
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

I spent a couple of hours today mopping.
I use G3. It does a do a fantastic job of the polish swirls.
I got my heads off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-x-POLISHING-SPO ... dZViewItem

Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
fearless

Post by fearless »

i bought my mop from machine mart only cost i think £80 it was a very good investment nothing to flash but does the job every new car i get has the once over with :thumleft: :thumleft:
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

Just out of interest, would mopping be sufficient enough to get rid of moderate scratches and swirls which have only partly gone into the paint? Also, does it help with oxidised patches of paintwork? I'll be looking to get my new turbo's paintwork up to scratch when I get it, seems like the current owner's let it slip a bit. Ah well, I'm kinda looking forward to it.
fearless

Post by fearless »

its a no on oxidised paint not a lot you can do with that but rule with mopping if you wet your finger and go over scratches and thay disapear the mop will remove them, i bought a vauxhall calibra from a dealer that had scratches all down both sides which i got for silly money, i went back to him to ask him something a few days later and he said did i respray it as it looked very nice said if he put it back on his forcourt now he would put it up for a £1000 more than i paid for it, a mop is a good investment didnt like spending £80 at first but worth its weight in gold a makes a hard job very easy. \:D/ \:D/
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Just make sure when using the G3 that you keep the head of the mop nice and wet!!!!!! Otherwise...bye bye paint 8-[
bburn13

Post by bburn13 »

2Crooky wrote:Just make sure when using the G3 that you keep the head of the mop nice and wet!!!!!! Otherwise...bye bye paint 8-[

I use a spray bottle
If you get the mop too wet
you get wet through, as soon it starts spinning.
Dave
89 SC - Beauty.
89 Track n/ail - The Red Dwarf
84 Blue 1.5 Tin Top Rummy, 54 RX8 -Rex
Cj82

Post by Cj82 »

Mopping isn't to hard as long as you keep the paint wet with a spray bottle of water,

As for the scratches and swirls it should fetch them out as long as they arn't to deep.

And oxidised paint a mop will get rid of this if done right but you can go to deep and burn through the paint so i would say get a pro to get rid of it but it can defo be done with a mop

I would say the best product to use is G3 to start with then use a product by 3M Called Perfect It Machine Glaze then you want to polish by hand over that then use a decent wax to protect your work

i will post some pics up tomorrow of my brothers impreza that i mopped today it is now like a mirror

Hope this helps

Cj
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Guys,dont waste time with Farecla. Its old fashoined outdated stuff and you need to go through all the stages to get best results.

Go with the new compounds by Menzerna and Evo from Autosmart. Much much better results and less paint removal than the agressive Farecla compounds. Also,no need to wet these compounds as they contain their own lubricants so are not as messy to use.
Cj82

Post by Cj82 »

Hi John long time no speak lol, what sort of prices are we looking for these auto smart products?

Cheers
Cj
JOHNM400

Post by JOHNM400 »

Hi mate, Autosmarts EVO is around about a tenner for 1lt. Not sure on the Menzerna as we dont sell that but both products are very similar using aluminum oxide particles that break down into smaller nibs as you use them.

Theres also an EVO fine that you would use for a final pass over on say a Ferrari or preparing a car for a show but on most cars you wouldnt need it.

Heres the link for the EVO

http://www.autosmart.co.uk/EVO.htm

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”