[Mk2] [NA] Had main radiator pipes above the petrol tank fixed..but now :(

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

darrenmr2

[Mk2] [NA] Had main radiator pipes above the petrol tank fixed..but now :(

Post by darrenmr2 »

Hi guys just got my car back today from having the main radiator pipes above the petrol tank fixed and a new thermostat in as i was leaking coolant (from the pipes) and the temp gauge was all over! (£320!)

Got the car home and had a REAL good look over it..1st thing i noticed was where the 2 fans are for the radiator the metal they sit in (like a circular shroud or something) had water in one of them, so i followed it up to the top and it 'appeared' to be coming from some tap thing on the front right hand side of the car next to the rad?? (it was a bit wet, but looked like it had leaked on the radiator shroud and it had dripped down)

But then after removing the spare wheel and plastic cover there was more browny coloured water all over the battery and around all the pipes under there! :( Im almost 100% sure it wasnt battery acid, that was my 1st thought as it had on smell and it didnt sting my finger (dont know if battery acid would do that or not though!) But there looks like more rad pipes and bleed valves/nipples under there...so where is it leaking from?? :( I will be ringing the garage at 9am 2moro, but please help in the mean time guys! Thanks!
MR-TOYOTA

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Had main radiator pipes above the petrol tank fixed..but now :(

Post by MR-TOYOTA »

No worry!!

Wenn the fill the coolant sytem again they open the tap's in the front and their comes the coolantfluid out.

They have should cleaned it before they gave the car.

(I did the repair myself, it's a hell of an job. 320pound is an good price! The two pipes only cost in the Netherlands 400euro/270pounds)
darrenmr2

Post by darrenmr2 »

So is there a bleed nipple/valve located under the plastic spare wheel cover in the front as well as one on the front right hand side next to the rad? (the tap one) If thats the case then yeah it maybe ok, still going to ring the garage and ask why they never cleaned it up afterwards! :evil:
3sgte

Post by 3sgte »

yes it sounds like they didn't clean up very well after they bled the system

i had to repair my pipes ,but i didn't fit new ,i used 19mm heater hose ,and about 10 heavyduty clips to bolt it up

total cost £15
darrenmr2

Post by darrenmr2 »

Found a leak (hopefully the only one!) :( its the tap next to the rad drip drip drip with the engine running :( dont know where the other water was from, am HOPING it was when they bled the system! Also noticed the airbox has little pockets of water sat in it as if from the coolant neck maybe?? (as i drove the car for ages and the engine was very hot and we havent had rain so im thinking thats the only place it could have come from!) Popping back to the garage in the morn, fingers x'ed for me that tap just needs tightening or something :pray:

Return to “Mechanical”