[Mk2] [NA] 150mph in 4th gear from an NA!!!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

j17sparky

[Mk2] [NA] 150mph in 4th gear from an NA!!!

Post by j17sparky »

Mates just said to me; "Yeah my mr2 goes 150mph in 4th gear"

To which i replyed "what is it? A tubby?"

End up no its a "deristricted" rev 1 NA. WFT is a deristricted NA, what could he mean by this? Obviously hes either making it up or has been told a pack of lies when he bought it, but just to be sure, is there such thing as deristricting a mr2 na?

Now i know hes talking bull, but i want to get my facts right before i go slating him. I dont even think 4th gear can even get close to 150 can it? Never mind the fact that NAs cant even get close to 150 in any gear! :lol: (Well maybe the beems engine?)

Hypothetically, how much power would you need to get 150+ out of an NA? Just in case he changes his story to "ohh it was 5th gear"

](*,)
skipp123

Re: [Mk2] [NA] 150mph in 4th gear from an NA!!!

Post by skipp123 »

a n/a would take a long time to get to 140mph in 5th let alone 150mph on 4th

hes speedos prob not quite right ](*,)
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Does he mean his is an import and he's had the limiter taken off?
*edit* dont think there is any way to get an NA to 140 in 4th, it should struggle to do 130 in 5th!
Last edited by Greddy-Matt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

You do get some numptys dont you lol
Definately not 140 in 4th, my tubby rev2 turbo tops out at just over 120 in 4th let alone a n/a
You will need a very very long straight to even achieve such speeds,
:mrgreen:
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

He's probaly still got the KMH clocks on there :roll:
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
j17sparky

Post by j17sparky »

cantfindausername wrote:He's probaly still got the KMH clocks on there :roll:

:lol: Thats what i said!

I didnt think there was anyway to do it, just good to check first. Let the torturing begin! :twisted:
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Rev 3 + N/As have a book figure of 137mph in 5th flat out. Seeing as rev 3s + have more bhp, I'd imagine they have a higher top speed (assuming gear ratios are similar).

Turbos IIRC are around the 150-155mph mark when stock :-k

Don't forget to take into account an over-reading speedo too.
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Greddy-Matt wrote:Does he mean his is an import and he's had the limiter taken off?
*edit* dont think there is any way to get an NA to 140 in 4th, it struggles to do 130 in 5th!

Come on Matt... :)

Mine does 125 (speedo reading, take 7% off for actual read) in fourth at 7k exactly.

To take it to 150 (assuming it gets there - we could be talking about a big descent, very very big, almost like free-falling) it would need to rev to 8.4k

Possible? Without a rev limiter I guess so... Specially in the 1st and 2nd (at least once or twice before blowing in smoke)... Above that I really don't think so! :clown:

And it definitely does not struggle to get to 130!!! Above that... it is a another story... :)
TNM

Post by TNM »

strugle to do 130 in 5th is rubbish. I have done (on a private road) got GPS speed of 132 and once had 134.

Speedo on the other hand was off the clock.
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Only got a 7% difference in mine which is very acceptable.

Renault Twingo had a 25% difference if I remember correctly... :eye:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Er come on what lol You just proved my point that you cant do 140 in 4th because as far as im aware the MKII's dont rev to 8.4k as standard :lol:

And TNM was that down hill with a tail wind to gain the additional 4mph??? :lol: :eye: I'm Not saying you cant do 130+ im just saying that it would take an age to do it........
Last edited by Greddy-Matt on Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

There seems to be a fair amount of controversy about what N/A's will and wont do, especially between the revisions, what would be good would be if we could set up an N/A proving day, get all the revisions together and actually get some solid data to refer to, is anyone up for that?

Ill quite happily get the ball rolling if there's enough interest :thumleft:
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

dp :?
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

The "come on" was to this sentence in particular:
" it struggles to do 130 in 5th! " :)

It doesn't... ok... a turbo is faster... sure... But a lot of things on the road (like 80% or so) are slower...

I was actually surprised with the ease it gets to 125... I would say mine struggles to go above 137-140 (speedo reading... which is what people are talking right?).

Would love to attend to that N/A day... Shame I would need to travel a couple of miles plus a boat trip...
You guys don't want to come over? :)

Cheers,
Vítor
dannyroids

Post by dannyroids »

what a xxxxx! :eye: 140 in 4th!?
Mike

Post by Mike »

j17sparky wrote:Mates just said to me; "Yeah my mr2 goes 150mph in 4th gear"

To which i replyed "what is it? A tubby?"

End up no its a "deristricted" rev 1 NA. WFT is a deristricted NA, what could he mean by this? Obviously hes either making it up or has been told a pack of lies when he bought it, but just to be sure, is there such thing as deristricting a mr2 na?

Now i know hes talking bull, but i want to get my facts right before i go slating him. I dont even think 4th gear can even get close to 150 can it? Never mind the fact that NAs cant even get close to 150 in any gear! :lol: (Well maybe the beems engine?)

Hypothetically, how much power would you need to get 150+ out of an NA? Just in case he changes his story to "ohh it was 5th gear"

](*,)

If his car is a Jap import then it would at some point in its life have been restricted to 115mph IIRC. But as stated already there's no way it would do 150 in 4th! If it did it would probably reach 180 in 5th!! Not likely methinks =;
j17sparky

Post by j17sparky »

Mike wrote:If his car is a Jap import then it would at some point in its life have been restricted to 115mph IIRC

I was thinking maybe he ment limited but didnt know the actually figure.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Talking rubbish - NA's can't do that speed, and especially when in 4th.
pintovit

Post by pintovit »

Sure they can't...

Like turbos could... =;
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

All of this conjecture is meaningless. You can work out top speed mathematically from rpm, gear ratios and tyre diameter.

For a stock normally aspirated car that means a mechanical limit of 138mph - assuming a long enough straight to wind it up that high - and 158mph for a turbocharged car.

At the J-Tuner thrash at Bruntingthorpe, my n/a race car managed a top speed of 135mph by the end of the 2 mile straight from a standing start.

Incidentally, SpudFromEngland's MR2 is mechanically capable of 203mph at ~8,300rpm. It should have enough power to do it too!

Patrick

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”