[Mk2] [Turbo] Crashed last night

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dawolf

[Mk2] [Turbo] Crashed last night

Post by dawolf »

Hi all. Feeling pretty fed up today. Last night I crashed my turbo. Was going round a roundabout and the back end of the car kicked out. I tried to correct it but spun and went up the kerb and into a grass bank.

Damage seems quite bad, front bumper pushed right in, bonnet slightly dented, both front wings dented, radiator and front lights also damaged.

Gotta wait and see what the insurance repairer says. I think it will be too expensive to get it repaired privately and it's possible there could be structural damage.

:(
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Crashed last night

Post by tonigmr2 »

Sorry to hear that, at least you are in one peice?
T
jmachling

Post by jmachling »

Sorry to hear that :(

I thought I'd written my MR2 off just over a year ago - skidded up a bank, bent the front suspension etc. but very little body work. You may be lucky and have a sympathetic assessor like I did - £3500 repairs in the end but he didn't write it off.

Even if the chassis sections are slightly damaged, I believe it's possible to weld new sections in. It's impressive what a good body shop with a chassis jig can do.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted.
iblis

Post by iblis »

Hard luck mate :(
blue2

Post by blue2 »

Bad luck m8! On a 1994 plate I doubt your insurance will pay for repairs, they will probably say it is "uneconomical" to repair and send you a cheque. However if they dont write it off but just call it an "uneconomical" repair you can buy the car back for buttons and repair it yourself. If its a cat D you dont have to open a new insurance policy and you dont have to go to a VICS station to get it approved as road worthy. This is what I am in the process of doing. The damage on mine was very slight, front bumber,indicators, fogs and plate holder, all came to over 3k to repair!Im getting the car back for £100 and getting a £1760 pay out.
Then again it sounds as if this was your fault and as such your policy will go up, but at least you will have some cash to repair the car and pay the increase in the policy.
You could of course not claim at all and do the repairs yourself, may be cheaper than you think. :-k
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

My main worry is chassis damage. The garage said privately it would probably cost £1500 to repair at a rough guess. It's a difficult situation as my excess is a whopping £600 so that will come off the value of the car. I don't really want a Cat D car as it will be hard to sell on later.

Hoping the car will be inspected properly later today. For now I'm getting a hire car for getting to work. What a mess!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Sorry to hear your news but only important thing has been positive. You and everyone else are all OK.
I reckon you could find the body parts you need on this site inside a week for £400ish, £200 fitted for rad and coolant and it's just the painting to pay for over the policy excess you'd pay anyway if insurance is involved. You have protected no claims? (tho even if you pay for repairs you legally have to disclose the accident come renewal time).
Sure a few local members would help with fitting.
Just a thought if nothing structural is found.

R
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

Sorry to hear that :(
DannyW

Post by DannyW »

If you decide to fix it yourself (which I would) then i have a Mk2 bonnet in red you can have for free, just needs paint then.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

unlucky mate :(
no injuries i hope?
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

No apparent injuries to me and my mate who was in the car. Just a slight stiffness in my neck. I'm grateful for that. Just worrying about finances now.
greeny

Post by greeny »

jmachling wrote:

Even if the chassis sections are slightly damaged, I believe it's possible to weld new sections in. It's impressive what a good body shop with a chassis jig can do.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted.

IMO a car thats been bent and then jigged out again will never be as strong or as straight again.
craig

Post by craig »

Best of luck getting her back to her former glory mate :(
dannyroids

Post by dannyroids »

Sorry to hear that mate, Chin up. Hope shes back on the road soon :)
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

It's weird but I don't know if I want the car back now after this. It just won't feel the same.

I'm thinking it may be best if I go for something a little slower and more economical for a while just to get my confidence back and save up some money. Have to see what the insurance says first.
dannyroids

Post by dannyroids »

Starlet Glanza Turbo!! 8) 8) :thumleft: :thumleft:
steve b

Post by steve b »

no way bent it already, you've only had this a week haven't you? Tough way to get used to the LSD box coming from the open diff n/a. Get it repaired and jump back in if the damage isn't that bad, these things often look worse than they are.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Sorry to hear about this, I know you were after one for a long time and must be gutted. I remember you talking on msn about it all.

They really are different animal to an n/a you probably should have kept the car to yourself for a while to get used to it before taking mates in the car. Mates = egging on and doing things in new cars without knowing how they will react as your not used to it. Unlucky :(
JAP BOY

Post by JAP BOY »

DAWOLF post some pictures up or send me a PM of what you need i've got a front bumper along with clear sidelight clusters and two foglights 6 months old! :D
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I really don't think I'd want the car back to be honest. The garage phoned to say they'd had a look round it and they think it will most likely be a write-off, as I suspected.

If it is, I think I'll be looking to go back to an N/A. They're good smooth cars and I need decent fuel economy due to travelling in my job.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”