[Mk2] [Generic] Brighter rear bulbs?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2nut123

[Mk2] [Generic] Brighter rear bulbs?

Post by mr2nut123 »

I've got my back lights tinted black and was wondering if you can buy brighter than standard rear lights? They don't quite show up as well through the day to be honest but they are fine at night. The orange indictors seem to work spot on but the red inner lights/brake lights don't.
Leon.

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Brighter rear bulbs?

Post by Leon. »

Not really unless you went for something like the revision 6 lights with LEDs.

5/21W bulbs are all you can use in the standard clusters as far as I know.

If you haven't done already, wiring 4 brake/sidelights as well as a high level brake light should help.
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

You might be able to just get some LED bulbs which will be alot brighter but just remember theyre not road legal so come MOT time they pull you up on this depending who you know...
Leon.

Post by Leon. »

MarcC wrote:but just remember theyre not road legal so come MOT time they pull you up on this

Does that include LED sidelights too?
Stretchermunkey

Bulbs

Post by Stretchermunkey »

I got a cluster set of LED bulbs for my back lights, much brighter. Now I don't know if there legal or not, but I;ve been through 2 mot since fitting and it's never been mentioned?
Steve
MarcC

Post by MarcC »

Usually cos most aftermarket LED bulds arent E-marked so arent road legal. Most MOT stations probably wont even check but if they was bein really picky they could fail you :mad:
mr2nut123

Re: Bulbs

Post by mr2nut123 »

medic steve wrote:I got a cluster set of LED bulbs for my back lights, much brighter. Now I don't know if there legal or not, but I;ve been through 2 mot since fitting and it's never been mentioned?
Steve

Do you mind telling me where I can get these from mate? They sound like just what I need to shine through these jet black lights i've got :lol:
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-24-RED-LED-Ca ... dZViewItem

Will these do the job on the tubby?
Stretchermunkey

LED's

Hi mate.
these are the one's I bought. Never had any probs, very bright. For me the delivery etc was spot on, although I have heard a few people were not too happy with service.

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u38025r-stop ... p-680.html
mr2nut123

Re: LED's

Post by mr2nut123 »

medic steve wrote:Hi mate.
these are the one's I bought. Never had any probs, very bright. For me the delivery etc was spot on, although I have heard a few people were not too happy with service.

Cheers for the link. So how bright would you say these are compared to standard bulbs? They look like they will be more than twice as bright!
Stretchermunkey

Led's

I'm not sure about being twice as bright, but they work well, you can buy them in red or white. I used red ones. Can't send any pics as I just sold the car, Sorry.
Cheers Steve
midenginedmaniac

Post by midenginedmaniac »

Make your own like I did. :thumleft:
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

/\ /\ /\ Mideng /\ /\ /\

Looking good dude!!

As for the LED's....

I wouldn't get them if you've got dark lenses. I've spent £100's on LED's on the rear.. and everyone says they're sh!te.
Ultraleds always say these 'are the brightest', but after all the money I spent there I'll still say the original bulbs are better.

Only my tuppence...

Oh, and Yee Haa Trading...!?!?

:-k
midenginedmaniac

LED can be brighter than bulbs for perceived light but they don't emit a great deal for seeing where you are going. I am a bit of an LED expert so ask away if you like. I get mine free from work.

Excelllent!!

You might just regret saying that....

I'm trying to renovate a high level brake light with the appropriate bulbs and resistors.... I may count on your skills soon!

:eye:
midenginedmaniac

Feel free to ask away. I done a guide in the KB
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

midenginedmaniac wrote:LED can be brighter than bulbs for perceived light but they don't emit a great deal for seeing where you are going. I am a bit of an LED expert so ask away if you like. I get mine free from work.

Just the man then :)

^^ So would you say these are going to be a LOT brighter than the standard bulbs then as i've got very dark black rear tinted lights and my standard ones dont shine through enough in daylight but they are ok(ish) at night.
midenginedmaniac

The closer you can get the LED's to the Plastic lens the better as they dont EMIT much light. They are to be seen not to see with. I have a set of bulbs like that on my harley and they are fantastic.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

midenginedmaniac wrote:The closer you can get the LED's to the Plastic lens the better as they dont EMIT much light. They are to be seen not to see with. I have a set of bulbs like that on my harley and they are fantastic.

Cool :thumleft:

So would you think these will shine through my black smoked rear lights then?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”