drove a ferrari 355 today

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

hicks

drove a ferrari 355 today

Post by hicks »

did one of those ferrari days today down in loughborough through a company called everyman racing.

good day overall starting with signing in, a 9min breifing dvd showing the circuit and all the health and safety crap.

3 of us got a passenger ride around the circuit which was an old airfield that had been re tarmaced into a nice little circuit. passenger car was a new shape 3 series diesel which alpina gear all over it. they took us round showing us the braking and turning points then we had too wait for our go in one of the ferraris.

there were 2 being used, a red 355 and a silver 360 spider.

i fancyed ago in the 360 as it sounded the best out of the lot and was rhd but had wheel bearing problems and had to retire leaving the 355.

the guys i was with came and went having a blast round.......i waited.......and waited watching people who had arrived after me have a go until after 1 and a half hours later i decided to ask when i was up.

'erm alex.....your next' (oviously forgot all about me)

finally got a go and at first thought what a dog. there was alot of rattling coming from on the engine bay and the throttle cable was sticking so you would put your foot on the accelerater then a couple of second later the power would bang in with a big clunk coming from the engine bay....

got upto speed and did my first lap with the sticking throttle making smooth driving difficult. had 2 more laps and on the 3rd lap i was really getting into it putting the power down early and getting some speed up on the straights.

overall it was a good day and although the car obviously had a couple of issues and the fact that i couldnt rev the car past 6k i still enjoyed it and i can see why they rave about the cars handling.

the car turned in instantly and the power once in was very punchy and smooth making a nice noise behind my head.

just wish i could have a had a few more laps as i only felt i was getting into it at the end.
Rev2_mike

Re: drove a ferrari 355 today

Post by Rev2_mike »

I'd love to have a go with pne of those 8) But after you said that the 360 was out and the 355 doesnt sound like its far behind i think i'd be really disapointed if that happened to me... Guess those cars must havea hard life though - still, nice experience \:D/
dannyroids

Post by dannyroids »

Hey Hicks, where in Loughborough is that? I may have to have a bash at that being so close! :thumleft:
hicks

Post by hicks »

prescot house i think its called
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I drove one at a track day and I was really dissapointed to be honest, i thought the shifts were awful and the power was ok, lots of low end torque, but it just didnt have any overwhelming qualities for me.

I still like the look of them tho!

Graeme
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

I did a ferrari experience day a couple of years ago... was left very disapointed. I drove a 348 and a 355. One of the instructors was very rude and had no time for questions... both Ferraris were limited to about 5k or 6k revs... just when the power comes on. The instructors were screaming at me to change gear when it felt unnatural to do so.. and then it was bouncing off the limiter! utter crap.

I made sure I got my moneys worth though, was supposed to go up a runway, slow down at the end, tuyrn around slowly and then boot it back... que back end out and power on as early as possible... and then much shouting and flapping from the instructor...

The Fiat turbo which i drove up to the day was quicker than the ferraris...

On the flip side, they also had a rally track with ae86's as the rally cars, so i had a good time watching them flying around...
hicks

Post by hicks »

they are a rip off to be fair as you dont get too really experience the cars and 100 quid for 3 laps is abit much but had it bought as a christmas present.

one thing i really enjoyed was driving on a track which i havent done yet and has left me wanting todo some trackday.

not really got me wanting a ferrari badly.

went back to my car expecting too think it was slow but actually felt quicker after driving the 355. was well chuffed to be able to drive my car back.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

I've done a few of these..

First one was practice laps in a Cooper S then 3 laps in the 355

Then 360 (pants) and a Gallardo ... the Gallardo was beautiful.. handled like fooking dream.. want one!!

Then couple of weeks ago Aston V8 Vantage (which I thought was nice, but kind of boring), Porsche Caymen and one of those single seater (Formula 3 Renault?) which was fooking awesome!!
hicks

Post by hicks »

ive seen a pic of you with a 355.

edit: found it :eye:

steve

Post by steve »

hicks wrote:prescot house i think its called

was it a LHD one? i probably drove the same one last year, no engine problems then though :)
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

hicks wrote:ive seen a pic of you with a 355.

Eeek Where did you find that :lol:
hicks

Post by hicks »

was lhd yes.

the engine pulled fine was just a sticky accelerator cable which ive heard is common with the rhd due too the way the cable is routed but not the lhd

not telling where i got the pic from :wink:
eatdrinkfeck

Post by eatdrinkfeck »

i did a testarossa track day, except the car was having cooling problems and as time was an issue i got to do a few laps in a 328 (of magnum pi fame) and a boxster "s".
personally i think the 328 is still a great looking car, the boxster didn't really stir the soul im afraid, god only knows what the bog standard one is like...

oh, this was somewhere near loughborough and my driving instructor was a complete nutter, he got me doing a little power slide in the porshe despite me wailing that we should slow down!

great day alround, despite the wait.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

hicks wrote:
not telling where i got the pic from :wink:

:p
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

eatdrinkfeck wrote:i did a testarossa track day, except the car was having cooling problems and as time was an issue i got to do a few laps in a 328 (of magnum pi fame) and a boxster "s".
personally i think the 328 is still a great looking car, the boxster didn't really stir the soul im afraid, god only knows what the bog standard one is like...

oh, this was somewhere near loughborough and my driving instructor was a complete nutter, he got me doing a little power slide in the porshe despite me wailing that we should slow down!

great day alround, despite the wait.

Boxsters are dull..

:lol: That sounds like the instructor I had for the 355.. kept telling me to put my foot down and woldn't let me wear a seatbelt! (That was at Bruntingthorpe)
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

hicks wrote:ive seen a pic of you with a 355.

=P~ =P~ :thumleft: :wink:
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
Graeme Shaw

Post by Graeme Shaw »

Hicks

Did exactly the same thing last year, same place, same car!

However i had practice in a new shape imprezza sti.
I thought the imprezza was quicker than the ferrari.

Instructor didnt let me do much, didnt feel i could really drive it properly.

Graeme
luthor1

Post by luthor1 »

I've been in a 360 (yes I know, not a 355!) and it's not so much the 0-60 in 4.2 seconds you notice, it's how it gets from indicating 160 to 185 in not very long at all whilst making the most awesome noise.

those dreadful write-off rev limited rubbish cars at those "experience" days are a bad advert and need banning.
Turbo-G

Post by Turbo-G »

Dissapointing about the rev limiter! I would have complained my ass off unless it was actually advertised as so...not exactly a ferrari experience having to change gears at 5k.

I did a lambo gallardo experience day with drivers dream days at brunters... was ace, instructor let you just get on with it after had all the tuition, didnt nanny you just gave useful advice...oh and the cars werent limited at all :D

Handled awesome and was fast, just didnt blow me away in terms of speed really.
lower

Post by lower »

hicks wrote:prescot house i think its called

Prestwold Hall i think is more likely.

Return to “Driving Experiences”