Oil stavation, differences between the 1a and 1b 4age oriantation

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cartledge_uk

Oil stavation, differences between the 1a and 1b 4age oriantation

Post by cartledge_uk »

The engine in the mk1a is almost 90degees to the ground, in the 1b the engine is slightly tilted forwards to make room for the charger.

Does this slight tilt possibly keep more oil on the pump pick up making the 1b less prone to oil starvation when compared to the 1a?

Also with the slight tilt, does this mean that the dipstick reads lower making the 1b contain slightly more oil?

Opinions?

(this was a thought driving home tonight)
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: Oil stavation, differences between the 1a and 1b 4age oriantation

Post by LimeyMk1 »

:-k I guess you'd have to compare the oil pickups from the two engines.

The a & b do have different dip stick so they've probably been altered to take the tilt into account.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

Limeymk1 wrote::-k I guess you'd have to compare the oil pickups from the two engines.

The a & b do have different dip stick so they've probably been altered to take the tilt into account.

The strainer is the same IIRC and sits offset on the side of the engine with the oil filter so at an angle I guess it sits lower?? (guestimation measureing involved)
MartG

Post by MartG »

Tim - you could probably alter your 1a to have the tilt just by swapping the front and rear torque mounts for 1b items - I guess that is how they would have tilted the engine :-k
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

MartG wrote:Tim - you could probably alter your 1a to have the tilt just by swapping the front and rear torque mounts for 1b items - I guess that is how they would have tilted the engine :-k

The front and rear mounts are the same, its the side mounts are different which could also be swapped, although I hadnt thought of it. lol ](*,)

It was just a random idea I had and was wondering peoples opinions (ie am I being thick, lol)
System-G

Post by System-G »

I would then wonder then why I had to remove my oil filter to get the Greddy Manifold into the engine bay of my 1A. Whereas Chris didn't on his 1b... :-k

Maybe my mounts are shagged :whistle: :lol:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Tim were you really bored when you thought of this?
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

little tip tim make a 10mm spacer to fit under the oil pump pickup pipe,it helps.
regards stuart :wink:
----------------------------------
www.sarahwherryracing.com
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

racing23mr2 wrote:little tip tim make a 10mm spacer to fit under the oil pump pickup pipe,it helps.
regards stuart :wink:

Cheers, but it isnt allowed in the challenge as its non standard, so I wont be fitting one.

I was just wondering on the concept of engine oriantation though, not specifics on starvation
MartG

Post by MartG »

Given the levels of acceleration in all directions the oil in the sump undergoes, I think any minor change in engine orientation will have little effect :-k
racing23mr2

Post by racing23mr2 »

this is a mod i did on a couple of 4ages that i built up during the winter for guys running this engine in kit cars,they were mounting them at all sorts of angles so did this to give them more of a chance to survive,yes i no they are not legal for the challenge (have not done this to sarahs motor) but due to your problem with reliability i think if you asked SV as its not a performance gaining part you might be ok.it seems a shame that some body with your car driving skills is sitting out a lot of the races,if this gets you out there i would ask regards stuart :-k
----------------------------------
www.sarahwherryracing.com

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”