NA POWER!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

trd2000mr2

NA POWER!!

Post by trd2000mr2 »

A question for our NA tuners! I jus wanna know who's got the most power out of their NA MK2 MR2(without turbo or NOS)! Ive seen people claim over 200BHP over on MR2oc! Im hoping for around 190ish myself! Ive noticed most people stop after exhaust, decat and induction kit! Why is this??
stevowaring

Re: NA POWER!!

Post by stevowaring »

I have an NA too, but won't go further then a Induction kit and exhaust. I have a rev 1 with no cat.

Mainly because it'll cost a lot of money to get a little bit more power from an NAt and you can just get an MR2 turbo engine put in to take you straight to 225-245 bhp...

Steve
craig

Post by craig »

trd2000mr2 wrote:Ive noticed most people stop after exhaust, decat and induction kit! Why is this??

Too much money for such little increase, may as well buy a turbo, cheaper than tuning an NA for high gains!
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

yeh true a turbo could be put in but there are 2 main reasons why im not considering it:

1. insurance is ridiculously expensive where i live and
2. I find its fun to constantly drive my NA flat out around corners whereas with a turbo you'd have to be wary of your boost and be careful you dont spin out. Right now, i can fly around corners with confidence!

The only thing i dont like about the NA is the lack of power and torque. This hopefully can be improved and it wont cost as much as a turbo transplant! There must be people out there who have gone hardcore on their NA???(without going down the turbo route!) ANyone?
stevowaring

Post by stevowaring »

Maybe this link will help,

http://www.tdi-plc.com/toyota_MR2.html

Steve
senie

Post by senie »

people could be doing just that claiming. I have 700bhp in my fto. Never been dynoed tho!

Seriopusly tho, if they have a late REV 5 N/A with the BEAMS engine, thats 200bhp roughly at the fly to start with.
LJS @ Rogue

Post by LJS @ Rogue »

I too now have a MR2 Rev1 NA. Quick little thing she is with her 158 of Mr T's finest bhp. I too enjoy being able to plant the throttle mid corner, I also enjoy the total lack of PS as the feel through the wheel is top notch. I also have a cubboard full of LINK XLEM ecu's one of which will be an NA tester on my motor just to see if there is anything to be had from basic mods (200bhp sounds a little bit on the optomistic side mind). The Link can control the variable intake systems (unlike the PFC) so I'll see what gains are to be had from altering the switch point like we do on the VTec and iVTec Honda's.

I'm sure there are quite a few NA owners who want a little extra umph! without all the additional associated turbo running costs.

Nod.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

I am sure powerfc is only for 3sGTE :mrgreen:
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

hi nod. for a standard engine of course 200bhp is optimistic jus by altering settings on the ecu, but how about after modifications like exhaust, decat, induction kit with upgraded spark plugs, engine cables and power leads, and afterwards a unichip to enhance these mods? Even before messing with the cams, camshaft, pullies, manifold etc, im sure it could reach in the region of 180-190ish, or is this jus being optimistic?

steveowaring, cheers for that link, very useful dat was.
mr2 dan

Post by mr2 dan »

my mr2 is a uk t-bar on a j reg and had mine on the rollers witha xxxxx exhaurst and i mean xxxxx . the car is standerd as far as i know other than a k&n and i pulled 168 bhp@6461rpm and 142lbft@5722rpm and from the info i have seen it should be 168or172bhp for a uk spec t-bar

Engines/Trims Year CC/Cyl BHP MPH 0-60 MPG IG Get Report
Sports 2d 90 1998 119 n/a n/a n/a 15
Sports 2d Auto 90 1998 119 n/a n/a n/a 15
GT Sports 2d 90 1998 168 137 7.7 31 16
GT T Bar 10th Anniversary 168 137 7.7 31 16
GT T-Bar Sports 2d 90 168 137 7.7 31 16
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

RedMR² wrote:
trd2000mr2 wrote:Ive noticed most people stop after exhaust, decat and induction kit! Why is this??

Too much money for such little increase, may as well buy a turbo, cheaper than tuning an NA for high gains!

Least when we boot it, we dont literally see the petrol guage move down! :lol:

My N/A is very quick standard. I have impressed a turbo owner.

Though its good having the higher bhp version 3.
174bhp.
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

vindezal wrote:
Least when we boot it, we dont literally see the petrol guage move down! :lol:

lol! :D so true! vindezal, u got the 174bhp version? probably the best rev. Ive got the reduced 168bhp rev4 version.. :( wish id have known this before i bought it! I need to spend hundreds on an exhaust jus to push it up to yours standard!
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

vindezal wrote:My N/A is very quick standard. I have impressed a turbo owner.

Though its good having the higher bhp version 3.
174bhp.

Which is half a second slower to 60mph than the 158bhp version :eye:
L0rdMike

Post by L0rdMike »

Yep the Rev 1 and 2 is faster to 60 than the Rev 3 even though the Rev 3 has more BHP.
LJS @ Rogue

Post by LJS @ Rogue »

trd2000mr2 wrote:hi nod. for a standard engine of course 200bhp is optimistic jus by altering settings on the ecu, but how about after modifications like exhaust, decat, induction kit with upgraded spark plugs, engine cables and power leads, and afterwards a unichip to enhance these mods? Even before messing with the cams, camshaft, pullies, manifold etc, im sure it could reach in the region of 180-190ish, or is this jus being optimistic?

steveowaring, cheers for that link, very useful dat was.

The honest answer is I don't know. Until I actually have before and after figures in front on me I wouldn't like to make a guess as to what mod is worth what bhp.

Nod.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

I looked into getting my 2 when it was still an N/A up to the magic 200 bhp that your now after. After a lot of research I decided that it was simply more cost affective to go the route of dropping the turbo lump in instead. Without head work and cams you would struggle to get past 185 bhp with the N/A and that's assuming that we are starting with the 173 bhp Rev3 car!

Trust me when I tell you that even when you have spent the 2K+ getting your N/A to push 200 bhp, you will want more in time. I've lost count of the amount of times i've said that will do power wise. 6 months on the car has another 50 bhp....and so on....and so on :lol:

If I were you and I really was set on staying with the N/A I would.....add an exhaust, some chuckle gas and possibly the Unichip to help control it all. I would also invest some cash into bringing the handling and brakes up to scratch to help make the most of your new found power :D

Good luck with what ever you decide :wink:

Mikejc
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Tbh i've had a good look round at tuning an NA as I have one myself... as far as I can see the best options are get a performance exhaust with decat, a decent air filter, and then fit 50+ shot of NOS. That seems to be the only way of getting any performance from the old N/A
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

Goldy wrote:Tbh i've had a good look round at tuning an NA as I have one myself... as far as I can see the best options are get a performance exhaust with decat, a decent air filter, and then fit 50+ shot of NOS. That seems to be the only way of getting any performance from the old N/A

that's exactly what i did to mine to the letter - best 1/4 mile was still only 15.7 - that's with a rev5 also..... RR'd at 186.9 off gas

I'm now Turbo'd up and wondered why the hell it took me so long ! - oh yeah that's right I'm not made of money ! :roll:

trouble is with a turbo car - there are SO many more modifications to do to get more power - it's like a friggin drug ! :tongue:
Waldo Dobbs

Post by Waldo Dobbs »

L0rdMike wrote:Yep the Rev 1 and 2 is faster to 60 than the Rev 3 even though the Rev 3 has more BHP.

I keep hearing that, but no-one's ever said why... :-k
trd2000mr2

Post by trd2000mr2 »

Mikejc wrote: Without head work and cams you would struggle to get past 185 bhp with the N/A and that's assuming that we are starting with the 173 bhp Rev3 car!

Trust me when I tell you that even when you have spent the 2K+ getting your N/A to push 200 bhp, you will want more in time. I've lost count of the amount of times i've said that will do power wise. 6 months on the car has another 50 bhp....and so on....and so on :lol:

Good luck with what ever you decide :wink:

hmm....didnt think itll be that difficult to get the 2 to a suitable power. Im looking to spend only around a grand on the engine i think, on the usual mods plus a unichip..I think that'll me more cost effective than a turbo with the £3000+ insurance! I was hoping that would be nippy enough...We'll see i suppose, but will keep everyone posted

Return to “Modifications”