[Mk2] [NA] borderline rev 1?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

krystalleyes

[Mk2] [NA] borderline rev 1?

Post by krystalleyes »

Going on the year (1992) I thought I had a rev 2...having done a bit more reading etc I am pretty sure it is a rev 1..it was registered in Jan 92, so would be likely. Bonus for me as far as handling goes - I prefer the no power steering, abs, etc, and also in fuel economy (I was going to get a diesel something or other to replace my 4l gas guzzling jeep, but thought the MR2 a compromise!) Question - I have the 3S-FE engine, was going to fit an induction kit but the one I was looking at is for a 3S-GE..I realise the engines are completely different, anyone know either: will it fit, or anyone know of one that will? I am not looking to particularly hike the power, just to get it running as well as it can. Where I live there is little chance of big speeds anyway (hence why I sold my last car) but lots of twisty roads, so I am looking for handling and response. Any suggestions from someone who has one of these and the same objectives gratefully received!
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [NA] borderline rev 1?

Post by HighwayStar »

Hiya.
Looking at your garage pic its a rev 1 from the shape of the front splitter unless someone has changed it. Pretty sure the induction for a 3sge wont fit your engine but cant help with who does do one that will fit. Maybe call someone like Demon tweeks and ask them....?
Hope it works out.
R
krystalleyes

Post by krystalleyes »

Thank you..it is a stock unmolested UK car, so will go with the rev 1 verdict. Just thought I would see if anyone had put one on theirs. Might just go for a better panel filter replacement as has been suggested - I quite like the noise from an induction kit though!
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

You could aways measure the pipe size and then buy one of the generic K&N / Pipercross etc aftermarket filters and put one of those on. I am not aware that it needs to be a 3S-FE specific filter - certainly in the past I have used generic after market filters
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

I've run a 3S-FE for nearly four years now, tried various intake combinations. The best for performance is giong to be a K&N panel filter into the OE system. You need the big plastic resonator box at the back of the engine bay to keep up the torque at low revs, the FE has a low hp output but if you use the gears you can take advantage of good torque; fitting a cone system messes that up.
You could also try advancing the timing, I'm set up for 99 RON (Tescos), there are no knock sensors so it's very straight forward. Finally I've vented the crank case oil fumes to atmosphere, seems to allow the timing to go further without preignition, and stops the throttle butterfly getting gunked up.
Other than that regular quality oil changes, plugs and a check of the distributor cap and rotor (they corrode badly) will help preserve the power.
krystalleyes

Post by krystalleyes »

Thanks, muchos helpful! Mine is an auto as well :wink: so not making the best use of torque probably,(though you can do a bit with lower gears, overdrive off, kickdown etc!) but I am still finding it fun to drive on the local roads. I thought best way might be just to upgrade plugs etc and good quality oil - and I did look at the dizzy today and went hmm :lol:
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

Don't knock the auto, the longer gear range gives you much better flexibility, hold the gears in manual and be aware that this engine will run to 6300rpm (not 6 as per dial, theres a cut out just beyond that, so no worries just make sure the engine's serviced!). You'll be pleasantly surprised how fast you can get if you try that in 3rd :D. I'm using a 5/40 fully synthetic oil changing about every 5000 miles, standard plugs are fine, use recommended NGK (which differ form the GE) don't buy other brand names, I tend to change them every 10000 miles. New cap and rotor is about £40 from Toyota again don't buy substitutes.
krystalleyes

Post by krystalleyes »

I.m not knocking it really - just everyone else usually does! I don't seem to have the manual button on mine? There is only the od button on the gear lever - maybe it's not on the UK cars, had it on my last import auto. And the rev counter has stopped working... :roll: Not really pushed it yet, want to make sure everything is ok first!
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

There's no manual button on the Uk's but you can simply run the shifter as a manual.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”