WET HEADLINING..... NOT ANYMORE !!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tony jinxy froude

WET HEADLINING..... NOT ANYMORE !!!

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

Ok guys, i promised that i would do an article on curing the wet headlining syndrome on t-bar roofs as some of you have & still are suffering from this. As mentioned before the reason for this is water getting past the trim clips that sit below the trims that hold the t-bar rubbers on.
Nigel ( Russd1 ) had this problem & this weekend was supposed be the weekend to do it, unfortunately yesterday the heavens opened which only left today. He also had to change the headlining as it had got so wet in the past that it had actually sagged at the top of the screen & while we were at it i sprayed the headder rail & whole top half of the car too, below are a series of pictures which i hope will explain the process.

This is how the roof started, general rust on the header rail.

This next shot is the headlining removed
Start by taking the t-bar glass panels out & in the corner of each t-bar rubber there is a solid plastic triangle piece held to the roof by screws, remove these screws & put them in a safe place
once the screws are removed, use a flat bladed screwdriver to prise up the plastic trim on the corner
once the corners are out pull the rest of the rubbers from their runners, but do this carefully, they need only be pulled as far as the door opening

& repeate the same at the back of the roof

Once the rubbers are out of the way remove all of the Philips screws which hold down the trims & if possible replace these with new ones as they may have rusted quite badly if your roof has been leaking ( Toyota Part No 90168 40061 ) you will need 12 of these in Total ( the ones on the centre rail are different )
Once the trims are removed you can see the trim clips
Old trim clips & the new ones ( note the black rubber band on the original clips, these often perish which allows water beneath them ) the new clips have longer legs on them which help keep them in place. Unfortunately i dont have a part number for these new trim pegs, so if anyone has a number i will include it here for others to use.
The centre rail causes problems of its own, because the roof flexes the retaining bolts snap off from the underside of the rail as they are only spot welded on !! :roll: , add a touch of rust with this & it offers next to no leverage on the glass panels which slot into it, the picture below shows a sheared off bolt & the rust staining.

& the same with the rear of the centre bar, you can actually see the remaining clip which has broken loose of the centre rail, also note the staining around the hole... thats where the water gets in as well as around the front trims !!.
This picture shows all the trims removed & the whole area thoroughly cleaned.
Prise out all the old clips, then with a sealant gun run a square of sealant all the way around the slight indentation of where the clip fits into the roof, then press a new trim clip in place & smear the sealant around the edges of the clips to help keep that water out.
Take each metal trim piece & lay a line of silicone sealant along the botom of the trim in the centre & make sure you do a circle around the screw holes for extra protection, then all you need to do is start refitting the trims, you cant get them mixed up they will only go in one way.
Once done the roof should look like this :thumleft:
Image.

Dont be fooled into thinking this is a small job... its not, it took us most of the day, although we also sprayed the roof too, & cutting corners or only doing part of the roof is just a waste of time, if the roof leaks then the whole lot needs doing, i can guarantee that if it has been done properly then you will never have a wet headlining again. Hope this has given you the enthusiasm to try for yourself, cheers, Jinxy
Last edited by Tony jinxy froude on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
MisterMK1

Re: WET HEADLINING..... NOT ANYMORE !!!

Post by MisterMK1 »

nice write up mate and nice job with the roof spray :D
Tony jinxy froude

Cheers Leon, it was a mamoth task if the truth be known, but im very happy with the result & Nigel is over the moon, he no longer has to driver with a blanket over his legs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :clap: , Jinxy
MisterMK1

Post by MisterMK1 »

Lol I bet! Never owned a T-Bar both mine have been sunroofs, but had the same wet headlining issues and had to go down the silicone sealant route
blueninja66

Post by blueninja66 »

jinxy you are an absolute star! ive been fighting with sikaflex since last winter......yeah it holds for a bit but always goes when you dont need it. that write up is top-notch pal.

do you have to run sealant under the metal trims?
part number for the trim clips?
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

hmm clutch seems a bit shagged as well.wrong pics at the bottom.
next week the side ! #-o
put it in the mag for the computerless. :clap:
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

that is wierd. the first time i read this i had clutch pics did you change it ?
Tony jinxy froude

Nope Kev, not touched it since i first put the thread up........ i'd get an early night if i were you mate & leave her alone for one night :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !!!, Jinxy
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

I see a shagged clutch.

Good mushrooms these Kev! :lol:
Tony jinxy froude

Yep Steve, lay a line of Silicone under the trims too & make sure you do a circle around all the srew holes too as a double defence. I dont know the part number for the trim pegs, i picked those up from the Toyota Workshop floor/table/shelf :mrgreen: a few months ago when i was there last & they dont have a part number on them. I will amend my listing to reflect any info ive forgotten to list so that we end up with a full article at the end, all the best, Jinxy
Tony jinxy froude

Chris my old pal, you been sharing fags with Kev ????, let me know which picture & i'll re-load it, mine all seem to be ok, have you got rid of your old cookies & i dont mean the ones with Hashish in them either :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , Jinxy
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Well as soon as I posted, the pic went and was replaced by two new ones with T-bars in them. #-o

I wish I had some cookies to get me through my Equality & Diversity/Equal Ops course. ](*,)

Time for the loony bin. :lol:
superbad

Post by superbad »

Good article! Should be useful when I get round to refitting mine.
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Limeymk1 wrote:Well as soon as I posted, the pic went and was replaced by two new ones with T-bars in them. #-o

I wish I had some cookies to get me through my Equality & Diversity/Equal Ops course. ](*,)

Time for the loony bin. :lol:

I can understand how bad you must feel :(
I had to go on a training day to do with that and that was enough for me.
To do a full course on it must be :evil:
best of luck :clap:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Just finished. :shaking:

6 hours on how to be nice, feeling homicidal. :lol:
Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve

Post by Mk1 Turbo Powered Steve »

Limeymk1 wrote:Just finished. :shaking:

6 hours on how to be nice, feeling homicidal. :lol:

I know this post is getting off topic but just wanted to add! how about equality for people that don't want to be nice :?
I will not add anymore to this as Jinxy has done a great job with this post :D
Tony jinxy froude

I thank you sir !! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Excellent article - needs to be archived in the knowledge base posthaste!
jiggs

Post by jiggs »

Cheers Jinxy,

Well done mate, clips and screws will be in dealers tomorrow, i will post part numbers then.

Craig.
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Polypedates wrote:Excellent article - needs to be archived in the knowledge base posthaste!

I was thinking that too! Any chance of that Jinxy?

Just one thing though; when you put the rubbers back on at the end, do they just clip in or is some sort of adhesive required?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”