[Mk1] [Generic] Please help a US Yank- Drive an Auris w2.2D diesel, or have you?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SuperMacGuy

[Mk1] [Generic] Please help a US Yank- Drive an Auris w2.2D diesel, or have you?

Post by SuperMacGuy »

Hi all,
I want to drop a diesel engine in a MK1 (that I have yet to buy) but before I go too far with it, I need to know that this engine is right for the job!
So, if you have ever driven a Toyota Auris or any of the cars with the 2.2D-4D Diesel engine, please let me know what you think of it! Or go out and do a test drive for fun and let me know!
Does it have as much torque as the numbers would say? The 0-60 (100k) times are not great (8 seconds?) but in a much lighter MR2 Mk1 I think that it would really fly, and get good mileage. Does it rev up eagerly, or is it slow? How is the shifter in the 6-speed manual? Does it seem like the gearing is very high, and that's why it has slow acceleration? I plan on chaning the gearing in my 2. Please let me know how the torque is in all the gears, as well as top end power, how it does when cruising, if it needs a 2-gear downshift to pass or has enough power to just take off.
All your help is appreciated!!

edit- if you can post any images of the engine and engine bay that would be helpful! Plus details of the setup of the intake/turbo/exhaust and the side of the engine they are on, along with pulleys, etc.

Chris
http://www.paveglio.com
star_gazer

Re: [Mk1] [Generic] Please help a US Yank- Drive an Auris w2.2D diesel, or have

Post by star_gazer »

SuperMacGuy wrote:Hi all,
I want to drop a diesel engine in a MK1 (that I have yet to buy) but before I go too far with it, I need to know that this engine is right for the job!
So, if you have ever driven a Toyota Auris or any of the cars with the 2.2D-4D Diesel engine, please let me know what you think of it! Or go out and do a test drive for fun and let me know!
Does it have as much torque as the numbers would say? The 0-60 (100k) times are not great (8 seconds?) but in a much lighter MR2 Mk1 I think that it would really fly, and get good mileage. Does it rev up eagerly, or is it slow? How is the shifter in the 6-speed manual? Does it seem like the gearing is very high, and that's why it has slow acceleration? I plan on chaning the gearing in my 2. Please let me know how the torque is in all the gears, as well as top end power, how it does when cruising, if it needs a 2-gear downshift to pass or has enough power to just take off.
All your help is appreciated!!

edit- if you can post any images of the engine and engine bay that would be helpful! Plus details of the setup of the intake/turbo/exhaust and the side of the engine they are on, along with pulleys, etc.

Chris
http://www.paveglio.com

I am rendered speechless ](*,)

Either you are having a laugh or don't seem to grasp the concept of a sports car :roll:

I hear that Rolls-Royce Trent make great engine conversions for a MK1 :tongue:
Speedy

Re: [Mk1] [Generic] Please help a US Yank- Drive an Auris w2.2D diesel, or have you?

Post by Speedy »

Hey - sounds like a pretty mental and good idea for something different. Alas, I've never driven one, sorry.
tonigmr2 wrote:Fear me, for I am watching :clown:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: [Mk1] [Generic] Please help a US Yank- Drive an Auris w2.2D diesel, or have you?

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Diesel in a Mk1. :thumleft: Go for it dude!

Again never driven one, sorry. 8-[
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk1] [Generic] Please help a US Yank- Drive an Auris w2.2D diesel, or have

Post by Tiamat »

star_gazer wrote:
I am rendered speechless ](*,)

Either you are having a laugh or don't seem to grasp the concept of a sports car :roll:

I hear that Rolls-Royce Trent make great engine conversions for a MK1 :tongue:

Why? Look at the Le Mans racing cars - the expected winners are diesel cars.

VX220 Diesel - I know it never made it into production but still great.

Diesel engines also have bags of torque, as the guy said it does 0-60 in 8 seconds in an Auris. A MK1 0-60 is 7.9 seconds and is much lighter.

Better fuel economy
Better torque
More power
Better 0-60

Sounds like a winner to me :thumleft:
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

only downside is less revs and the increase in NVH. I'd guess it probably redlines at 4 -> 4.5k?
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Speedy wrote:only downside is less revs and the increase in NVH. I'd guess it probably redlines at 4 -> 4.5k?

still reckon it would be better, even with the lower revving of the engine, it clearly has the potential to do so much more in a lighter car
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Oh yes, no doubt. One other thing might be the exhaust side of the engine, and all of the particulate filters and gubbins which might be tricky to repackage for the mk1? - Don't know..
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Speedy wrote:Oh yes, no doubt. One other thing might be the exhaust side of the engine, and all of the particulate filters and gubbins which might be tricky to repackage for the mk1? - Don't know..

Can drain and clean the mk1 tank so it starts with diesel as fresh, the exhaust can be adapted - it can be cut down as it will be lots of excess pipe.

The main problem would be drivehsafts, gearbox linkage (front to rear) and piping for the radiator.

Fun project though.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Would also be a heavy engine, usually all iron block - anybody found any weights to compare?
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

177 hp at 3,600 rpm. 294 ft/lb peak torque not sure at what revs.
SuperMacGuy

Post by SuperMacGuy »

@star_gazer:
This is called "thinking outside the box". Maybe you've heard of global warming and something called fuel economy? Diesel engine, rated at 50mpg, sounds like a good way to reduce fuel consumption. Hopefully it's a 'clean' diesel engine not a sooty one.

@Tiamat et al:
Right on! I watch ALMS here in the US and the Audi R-10 diesel race cars are fast, quiet, and they win. So I figure 300+ lb-ft of torque (400Nm) in a 2100lb car would really be fast! I have a Trans Am 2001 right now. That weighs in at 3600lbs, and 330lb-ft at the wheel. So the MR2 should have even better acceleration than the TA! With a bigger turbo, I could crank out 400-450lb-ft. But, I am realistic and I understand the low rev range and relatively low HP numbers may mean its not noticeably quicker, or the top end power drops off so much that it's not faster than any gas engine. The rating of the 2.2D engine shows (in the sales flyer) shows a flat plateau from 2000-3000 rpm. Falls off after that.

But, I'd like to investigate it! No one will ever know if someone doesn't try it. If I get feedback that the engine is not really up to the task and it's all iron and is so heavy it will offset any power gains, then I may have to change my plan, maybe just go with a high power gas/ethanol turbo engine, etc.

Any additional reviews and informed opinions on this engine, or other options, appreciated!! If anyone can grab me some detailed technical data on the engine, that would really help (weight of engine, iron or other metal, configuration of intake/exhaust/turbo/tranny etc). You can PM me and I'll send my email addy if you want to send some scans my way.
Thanks again all!!
Ciao,
Chris
star_gazer

Post by star_gazer »

Sorry Chris,
Not meaning to dish your idea, but normal diesel engines, can be powerful/torquey than a petrol unit.

But generally diesel engines have a sluggish throttle response, are heavier and have limited revs. So the overall driving experience will be dampened due to poor response in curves (heavy engine) and out of curves (slow throttle response)

Cool stuff and good luck but just be careful, me just crashed today :(
Rev2_mike

Post by Rev2_mike »

Sounds like a really interesting idea - if you do go for it then make sure you post up a project log with how its going. Good luck mate! :thumleft:
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

interesting project
lukem

Post by lukem »

i work at the factory where the 2.2D T180 Auris is manufactured. not allowed to take any photos though! very good torquey engine. even lugs the Avensis along well.
good luck!
firstmk1

Post by firstmk1 »

When I visited the Westfield factory a few year back they had details of a diesel build that turned out much quicker in the real world than expected. The only problem with that car was the noise but modern engines are super quite compared with those of the early 90's.
SuperMacGuy

Post by SuperMacGuy »

@lukem
That's cool. Can you tell me how much the engine weighs? Do you have some rough dimensions? Is there anyone that I could contact to get some detailed information, dimensions, or specs through 'official' channels? That would be a big help.
Thanks!
Chris
Moon Monkey

Post by Moon Monkey »

star_gazer wrote:I hear that Rolls-Royce Trent make great engine conversions for a MK1 [tongue]

Been trying to get a Trent 900 from work, no joy yet though!!:mrgreen:

Tiamat wrote:The main problem would be drivehsafts, gearbox linkage (front to rear) and piping for the radiator.

With the other mk1.5/V6 modders out there they have found interchangeability between different Toyota driveshafts possible (same splines, etc). Assuming Toyota have continued to do this on the newer models it could still be possible when installing the engine and box.

When you consider the Avensis was fitted with the 7A-FE a while back (similar to the 4A-GE in terms of mounting, I think!) and one would assume similar chassis rail mounts would have been used for the Diesel in the Avensis, so maybe it could bolt in??

firstmk1 wrote:When I visited the Westfield factory a few year back they had details of a diesel build that turned out much quicker in the real world than expected. The only problem with that car was the noise but modern engines are super quite compared with those of the early 90's.

This Diesel engine would be a common-rail direct injection type and be a lot quieter than the older ones. Depends on exhaust though!!

As for exhaust you shouldd to carry over the particulate filters, etc, but with the shortened exhaust path not sure if it would all fit, best to measure a newer Toyota Diesel's exhaust gubbins and compare to the standard MR2 exhaust length/path.

You would also have to consider the fact that the engine may use EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) to keep NOx down, so this would be a consideration for exhaust back pressure. It's been a few years since I've read up on direct injection engines so not sure about the newer Toyota D4D's so maybe someone else out there may have more of an idea.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”