Evo vs MR2 turbo Rev 2

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mazzerdod

Evo vs MR2 turbo Rev 2

Post by mazzerdod »

Coming of the M5 into Weston s Mare behind a Evo FQ300 in my MR2 Rev 2 rolling roaded at 240 something flywheel we both nailed it all the way into Weston down the duel carriage ways and over every round about and it was neck and neck all the way I had nothing on him and he had nothing on me £2k vs £20k MR2 Turbo what a car!!!!! :D just bought a rev 3 which I'm currently tuning I luv um!!!! :thumleft:
midenginedmaniac

Re: Evo vs MR2 turbo Rev 2

Post by midenginedmaniac »

He must have still been running it in. :lol:
2Crooky

Post by 2Crooky »

Easily keep up with the FQ300 :thumleft: Always nice to give the Evo boys abit of a wake up call lol! 300bhp in his 4 door heavy saloon and 240bhp in your 2 seater aerodynamic sportscar......good race i reckon :twisted:
midenginedmaniac

Post by midenginedmaniac »

I thought EVO was 4s to 60 . My Brother inlaw said his Evo 4 was. Maybe he was BS me :lol:
THE DUKE

Post by THE DUKE »

0-60 time includes the launch tho.. Being 4wd the Evo will launch better than the mr2 as it has more grip.. Once rolling it all comes down to gearing, weight, driver skill and situation.. 60bhp isn't much :)
Goto10

Post by Goto10 »

So anyway, the other day my Nan was learning to drive in her FQ300 (after I kindly offered to ride as a passenger), as we left the M5 coming into Weston Super Mare I was busy trying to show her how to get into 2nd gear, I then spotted an MR2 behind - was just wondering if it was any of you guys?
splashnatz

Post by splashnatz »

PMSL
Nelo

Post by Nelo »

True Steve.... true. Maybe it was just a coincidence.
V8Killer

Post by V8Killer »

Goto10 wrote:So anyway, the other day my Nan was learning to drive in her FQ300 (after I kindly offered to ride as a passenger), as we left the M5 coming into Weston Super Mare I was busy trying to show her how to get into 2nd gear, I then spotted an MR2 behind - was just wondering if it was any of you guys?

So Aidy must be your Nan right :twisted:
M5
Olly P

Post by Olly P »

Bear in mind an Evo had 4-wheel drive, so although it has 300bhp at the fly wheel, it loses a lot through tranny losses - Maybe 60-70bhp.

Saying that, I had a burn with an Evo VII a little while ago, and he murdered me in the mid-range and mine puts out close to 300 at the fly :(
Spittinflames

Post by Spittinflames »

Olly you say yours puts out 300 at the fly..... so its modded right.

Maybe the evo was also modded.... I dare bet a hell of a lot of evos are tuned up in some way.

especially the older ones.

We aint the only people to mod cars.
Mike_2t

Post by Mike_2t »

True! and after owning three MR2's and two Evo's I can say the Evo will yield more power from tuning pound for pound.
Mikejc

Post by Mikejc »

THE DUKE wrote:0-60 time includes the launch tho.. Being 4wd the Evo will launch better than the mr2 as it has more grip.. Once rolling it all comes down to gearing, weight, driver skill and situation.. 60bhp isn't much :)

Not the case. The MR2 if driven well will launch every bit as fast as an evo :shock: The engine placement really does work wonders on the MR2 :clap:

MikeJC
Mike_2t

Post by Mike_2t »

Have to disagree with that, given the fact a 4 wheel drive car is distributing the power between four wheels means it will always launch quicker than a two wheel drive car. This will really show itself once power levels are increased.

Mikejc wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:0-60 time includes the launch tho.. Being 4wd the Evo will launch better than the mr2 as it has more grip.. Once rolling it all comes down to gearing, weight, driver skill and situation.. 60bhp isn't much :)

Not the case. The MR2 if driven well will launch every bit as fast as an evo :shock: The engine placement really does work wonders on the MR2 :clap:

MikeJC
zak_godsell

Post by zak_godsell »

just remember the fastest cars on the planet are rwd 8) .my mates evo 4 was on the rollers today and it made 521bhp :shock: he was upset as it should have made nearer 600bhp.he had just spent £4000 on a new turbo kit too
Mike_2t

Post by Mike_2t »

Enlighten me to which 'fastest cars' you might be refering too?

Peak power depends on other components other than just the turbo kit along with the mapping!
Andy Champ

Post by Andy Champ »

Mike_2t wrote:Enlighten me to which 'fastest cars' you might be refering too?

Dragsters. F1. Le Mans. Indy. In fact, almost anything that races on tarmac.

If I was building a rally car with 500BHP on gravel, I'd want 4WD. I'm not convinced the cost in weight and fuel is worth it for a road car.

Andy
Mike_2t

Post by Mike_2t »

And they have what in common with an MR2? The engine is in roughly the same place and drives the rear wheels? That still doesnt mean the MR2 will match an Evo on launch.
Mike_2t

Post by Mike_2t »

The evidence is plain to see that 4wheel drive is superior when building a quick point to point road car... 4 wheel drive cars dominate at events such as TOTB, Time attack etc all on tarmac with the leaders being Subaru's and Evo's. Even Fensport use a 4wheel drive Celica to compete. Maybe you know something they all don't?
Andy Champ wrote:
Mike_2t wrote:Enlighten me to which 'fastest cars' you might be refering too?

If I was building a rally car with 500BHP on gravel, I'd want 4WD. I'm not convinced the cost in weight and fuel is worth it for a road car.

Andy
Mike_2t

Post by Mike_2t »

Also if you are talking about road cars, maybe you should take a look here..

http://www.autoclub.com.au/uploaded_ima ... 705517.jpg

Note the use of diffs front and rear, cant be 4 wheel drive surely?

Return to “Driving Experiences”